#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

I am so happy.

As a box office follower and fan for almost 20 years, I've always wanted MY franchise- Star Wars to have THE run that smashed everything for records. I never quite got that with prequels. TPM at the time, was crazily considered by some as a slight disappointment when it didn't beat titanic.(now we know it's one of the great box office runs of this era) Clones was a pedestrian run for a star wars movie and Sith was massive but never had the long term run of a titanic or avatar.

Well this is it. It's blowing up everything in its way and the fun us just starting. Star wars is at/will be at the top and will be there a long time ..a long time. This isn't just breaking records, it is eviscerating them.

Looking forward to having a lot of fun with you guys watching history unfold.

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

Lol, I'm pretty sure it was OW, that Saturday, the east coast was snowed in. At least here in Northern Virginia it was!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2632&p=.htm

It was but I'm saying we got a worse one later at the beginning of February (actually 2 in a row). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_5%E2%80%936,_2010_North_American_blizzard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_9%E2%80%9310,_2010_North_American_blizzard

I had just gotten out of the hospital after being admitted for 2 weeks and then ended up getting a week and a half of snow days.  Missed a full month of school overall. 

If TA & JW can do around a 3x multi in summer, there's no reason to think this can't vault above that thanks to Xmas weekdays and get to something closer to 3.5x. If it does get to $250m OW we'd be looking at $875m. If TA & JW have taught us anything, it's that mega openers won't drop off as quickly as we might fear. There's too much unsatisfied demand for these things to collapse after OW.

Finally seeing this tomorrow. I CANNOT WAIT ANY LONGER.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Giantcalbears

You are stand up guy, how about you donate the $25 to the forums? I will match your donation to the forums on top of whatever else it is I'm going to donate this month. Does that sound fair to you? It's a win-win for both of us.

I'll get the silver account for 3 months min. Hopefully this still counts as a donation.

• Like 7

That's a detail I didn't know before

WILL McCRABB ‏@mccrabb_will 2m2 minutes ago

In ROTJ this actress would've been the first Female pilot in the series had they not dubbed her with a male voice.

CWw30vyUwAApFsy.jpg

Music Box Films:
Flowers    $772    -50%    2    -2    $386    $48,947    
Censored Voices    $2,672    112%    3    2    $891    $28,231    

• Like 1

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

I'll get the silver account for 3 months min. Hopefully this still counts as a donation.

That works. If not we have a huge sale for the annual subscriptions. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Your right about that credit.  But I meant to write "Characters created by".  That's a writing credit Geroge will get.  Even though he wasn't on the poster, the credit was in the film at the end as well as the "Created by" credit which I agree was a "Thanks For everything George" credit, lol.  

Even the "characters created by" doesn't mean residuals. Though it is a writing credit, definitely. 

• Community Manager
Just now, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Even the "characters created by" doesn't mean residuals. Though it is a writing credit, definitely. 

I see it works differently than on TV then. On TV, the "Created By" credit DOES get you residuals (then again just directing the pilot of a TV show gives you residuals for every episode made) and I've heard of spin-offs not using characters because then they'd have to pay residuals to the staff member who created them.

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I didn't realize screenwriters got any residuals. I thought they sell the script to the studio for a cash sum and that's it. You hear those kind of script sales all the time on Deadline, Variety, etc.

Here opened up Batman vs Superman / Star Wars opening weekend thread. I closed it down and basically told him that he was being a troll lol some people don't realize how big this number really is.

• Like 6

• Community Manager
Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

I didn't realize screenwriters got any residuals. I thought they sell the script to the studio for a cash sum and that's it. You hear those kind of script sales all the time on Deadline, Variety, etc.

Well they are given royalties but they usually don't receive money from royalties since studios are able to lie 95% of the time and claim the movie hasn't made a profit. I hear that Arnold Schwarzeneger has yet to see residuals from Terminator 2 because Terminator 2 has yet to officially see a profit. Amazing that all these movie studios stay in business when movies can't even break even according to them...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Residuals are basically the movie version of royalties. The way US copyright law works, novelists are different than screenwriters, because novelists retain copyright. With scripts, when they're sold to a studio, copyrights are transferred to the studio so technically they become the "creator" in the eyes of the law. So the WGA negotiated residuals to replace royalties. The only credits which trigger residuals are "story by", "screenplay by" and "written by" (which is effectively both other terms combined).

• Like 4

Going through Avatar's weekly reports again.  Here's when it passed Titanic in gross:

Breaking domestic down, nearly 81 percent of Avatar's gross is from 3D presentations. Normal 3D accounts for over 64 percent of the gross, while IMAX 3D accounts for more than 16 percent. That leaves the 2D theaters with an over 19 percent share of the gross.

According to the National Association of Theater Owners, the latest available statistic for national average ticket price is $7.61 for the fourth quarter of 2009. IMAX reports an average ticket price of $14.58, but, at the time of this writing, there is no official word for regular 3D presentations. A survey of theaters across the country shows a $2 to $4 premium for 3D over 2D and indicates a $10 average ticket price. With these stats one can estimate 38.7 million tickets have been sold in regular 3D, 15.2 million sold in 2D and 6.8 million tickets sold in IMAX 3D.

All told, Avatar's estimated admission count is 60.7 million thus far, or less than Titanic through the same point (47 days in). It's also less than half of Titanic's 128 million total estimated admissions. Emphasizing the impressiveness of Avatar, it took such recent blockbusters as The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Spider-Man 2, The Passion of the Christ and Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith their entire runs to reach around 60 million admissions.

Unfortunately, the industry does not track admissions, only dollars. Absent proper admissions tracking, estimated admissions are determined by dividing the grosses by the average ticket prices, but this method is certainly iffy and should not be seen as definitive. It's best used for recent releases that have complete box office records, but, even then, one may know the national average ticket price but not the average for an individual movie. The audiences vary demographically and regionally for each movie, which means different average ticket prices. What's more, for a picture like Avatar, the method does not address leveling the playing field for the possible deterrent of higher ticket prices, how the 3D presentations impact 2D attendance or how 3D currently has far fewer theaters than past 2D blockbusters.

However, it's better to have an approximation than to have nothing. Only the money may matter to Hollywood, but attendance is important from an audience and cultural perspective. The disparity betweenAvatar and Titanic is so huge according to this method, that it is safe to say that Titanic sold a boatload more tickets.

Pointing out the estimated admissions in no way diminishes the box office achievement of Avatar. The purpose is to add perspective. There is no doubt that Avatar is a phenomenon in its own right with its own unique set of circumstances and that it stands as one of the greatest box office runs of all time.

I get 59.7M with 2010 prices and 61.5M with 2009 prices, average of 61.6M, which is even with BOM's estimates.  

From this point on Avatar made another 148M (and then 10.8M from re-release).  At the same shares/prices, we're looking at ~74-75M which is what BOM estimated at the end of its 1st run.  It's re-release was 3D only, so that's 10.8M at 2010 3D prices.  Not sure about IMAX but that's under 1M added tickets, so between 75M and 76M is where we're at for its total admissions.

TFA with its estimated OW 3D/IMAX/PLF splits needs about 780M to match that range and anything above that would pass it.  Likely, its 3D shares will decline a little bit as the run proceeds and it will lose its IMAX screens eventually as well, so it could match admissions at just slightly higher than Avatar at ~765M.

• Like 3