#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Current List in Canada.... I think

SW7: 18,6 million (Biggest Single Day gross of 8 million)

http://www.tribute.ca/news/index.php/star-wars-the-force-awakens-breaks-canadian-box-office-records/2015/12/21/

TA: 15.6 million 

JW: ????????????????

AOU: 13.8 million

DH2: 12.9 million

TDKR ???? 

Thanks for sharing this! It's so hard to find any data on Canadian box office anymore....

And, that's a phenomenal OW. SW will probably finish with around 60-70M...right around ROTK. No way it tops Avatars 96M in Canada...

I had no idea the biggest OW in Quebec prior to this weekend was The Da Vinci Code?? WTF.

Edited by Lumos

http://deadline.com/2015/12/star-wars-force-awakens-monday-box-office-record-1201670879/

It’s not going to stop. After breaking the weekend, opening day, Sunday, and Thursday night records Star Wars: The Force Awakens is looking at taking the Monday title with $30M-plus per non Disney analysts. Afternoon figures for Episode VII are strong ranging in the $17M-$22M range. As opposed to Friday when there were only 4.8% schools off, today that figure has blown up to 74%. Force Awakens’ Monday is set to take down Spider-Man 2‘s all-time Monday record of $27.7M which it has held since July 5, 2004. 

BOOM.

Edited by smerfy01
  • Like 9

Just now, Lumos said:

Thanks for sharing this! It's so hard to find any data on Canadian box office anymore....

And, that's a phenomenal OW. SW will probably finish with around 60-70M...right around ROTK. No way it tops Avatars 96M in Canada...

SW7 is heading to 70+ for sure. 

• Like 1

That DHD report -- while appreciated -- doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know. $30m+ Monday? Duh.

Saturday should've clued us in about these matinee reports, especially after Rth explained how they're reached. Presales and partial data skew the numbers. Patience, young padawans.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Avengers

TFA

JW

AOU

IM3

:bravo::hi5:

Easily my rankings as well. TFA is great, but TA is one of the most fun and perfect blockbusters around. And my first screening of it still has to go down as my all time favorite theater experience. TFA is a lot of fun too, and probably has more depth, but TA set a new blueprint for superhero movies whereas TFA was more following a blueprint. TFA is just a little too much of a reboot of ANH to feel like the breath of fresh air TA did. TA doesn't get enough credit these days for its humor, action, or sheer fun. To me it doesn't get any better as far as those three aspects go. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

You're doing to your ears what you're doing to your eyes... drowning out detail and/or image software with intensity. Yuck. :)

(btw, some of your criticisms of 3D are reduced or even disappear if you sit further back).

I disagree, the bigger the screen appears the more details you can see! :) 

Although this may just be because I have crappy eyesight and even worse hearing. :ph34r:

as for 3D, I have tried sitting back, front, side, upside down (well, maybe not that) and I can never get the problems to go away. :( 

if I am watching a 3D movie (which happens rarely, only seen 3 this year) then I will usually take the glasses off for a good portion of the movie.

13 minutes ago, Orestes said:

I don't think TFA is gonna give a new respect for the prequels. If anything, going by how often I hear Ren as "Anakin done right," I'd say it would lower them if it were possible.

edit: It could get even worse still if the rumors about Christensen being in VIII are true. Even if it's just a small role, seeing him in a Star Wars film with a director who gives a crap about actor performances aren't going to do the prequels any favors.

I don't mean this week. I mean a few years down the line... when people look back on the film series, I think they may look at the prequels slightly differently. :) 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

40m is ungodly. Yeah, there's no way it's falling below 150 this weekend if it does that today. 

Who knows. Massive weekday numbers can depress the weekend gross. See TDK's performance as a good example of that. But this does have a holiday boost in the weekend, similar to JW's Father's Day boost.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Salacious Tree Crumb said:

Although this may just be because I have crappy eyesight ..

Erm, don't you have glasses?

And if you take your 3D glasses off, you're literally watching a blurry double image, no wonder it looks like shit! (Not to mention, doesn't have a lot of detail).