#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

Reading some of these comments are hilarious. There's a reason it's 71% male guys, because it's fucking star wars. Just because you put a women as a main character in a geeky action/space opera mostly loved by males that doesn't mean women will automatically love it. That's actually kind of sexist haha

Jesus you guys don't know women at all.

The number i still have a hard time getting my head around is that is made over $100M in 21 hours (from 7 pm EST Thur to 4 pm EST - 1 pm PST Fri) - That is almost impossible to fathom.

So it has already broken 

Preview record 57M (43.5)

OD record $125+ (91.7)

Friday Record 125+ (91.7)

True Friday record 68+ (63.6)

Dec OW record (84.6)

Fastest to 100M 1 day (2)

December Single Day +125 (37.1)

Records that look destined to fall

OW (208.8 - JW)

Top Holiday Opening Weekend (158 - Hunger Games)

Top OW for PG-13 Film (208.8)

Others that could be close

Saturday record - (69.6 JW)

Sunday Record - (57.2 JW)

Highest Per Theater Avg(Wide) - $48,855 (JW)

#1 Movie Market Share - 84.5% (AOU)

Intl Opening Weekend - $316.1 (JW)

Global Opening Weekend - $524.9 (JW)

2 that will be broken but would be insanely cool if TFA broke by itself

Biggest December Weekend (Top 12 Gross) - $259.9

Biggest Weekend Overall (Top 12 Gross) - $266

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jessie said:

Reading some of these comments are hilarious. There's a reason it's 71% male guys, because it's fucking star wars. Just because you put a women as a main character in a geeky action/space opera mostly loved by males that doesn't mean women will automatically love it. That's actually kind of sexist haha

Mod Edit - No SW reactions in this post

2 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

I disagree with those who think this film's one-day or weekend records will stand for years. These records are made to broken, it will happen within the next three years, maybe even BvS will do it. 

What?! BvS won't come anywhere close to SV VII's OW.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Jessie said:

When you say guys you mean Water.

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Hmpf, must be a regional / whatever thingy, if at all to take as a general possibility and not only a small percentage.

Never even heard of such examples, here when girls loan Star Wars books the boys are smiling and starting to discuss laser swords or.... with them.

I also do a movie discussion subject (and more), the female pupils love too Star Wars (but not the crazyness of early viewings) A lot prefer to wait a bit, do not want to stand in line for too long (as they do not like to have to pick really warm clothes and boots).

Not wanting to wait in a line counts also for the ~ 10-14y old male fans btw., no inner 'peace' and so on

The "hostile fandom" water is talking about is only online and is just a loud minority really. They are known as "Gatekeepers" and they bitch and moan about "PC agendas" promoting women and minority characters in sci-fi and other fiction. I'd say they are as influential as those #BoycottStarWars racists. These BO numbers are proof of how effective that group was. :P

Me, female, had to squeeze out the time to be able to see it already. Work is nuts, all has to be finished before the holiday times, plus home work

Only did it for spoiler reasons. Son out of the house that short before X-Mas = good, time for preparing for the holidays.

I'll watch it again after all the X-Mas holidays here (earliest 28. December), I know a LOT of females who will watch it for the first time after X-Mas, partly even after New Year. When all the baking, cleaning, packing,.. partying preperations and afterwards cleaning is done, visitiatins... are finished, laundry based on all the visitations is done... and finally the inner peace is reached to be able to even enjoy a/the movie.

Yups, at the end of the run the gender breakdown will be far more even than that for opening night.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Considering how front loaded this weekend was, will TFA still have a 3x multiplier?

We already knew there would be a massive turn out for previews. It still broke the Friday day business record so we are unsure how front-loaded it is. We could probably tell you tomorrow after we get Sats' numbers.