#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

120.5 is suspicious considering that means $0.05m above the current "true" Friday by JW

I mean, do the accountants at Disney or anyone for that matter care about that specific number?  

Unles there is is an an employee that works in the accounting department that's a huge box office nerd and hates Jurassic World. 

• Like 5

Just now, Darth Rallax said:

I mean, do the accountants at Disney or anyone for that matter care about that specific number?  

Unles there is is an an employee that works in the accounting department that's a huge box office nerd and hates Jurassic World. 

Knowing some people's thoughts on JW, I wouldn't be surprised.

Finished watching ROTS, and it's a lot of fun.  It has similar flaws to the first two prequels but the flaws aren't glaring.  It is also a lot larger scale and is very close to OT quality, plus being the darkest of the series is fun.  Great lightsaber action, fairly emotional (even if parts still sound like a bad Greek tragedy), and once Anakin becomes Darth Vader you're really sucked in.  

It works fantastic as a flashback movie, I might try and edit AOTC and TPM into about an hour to an hour and a half, add it to Revenge of the Sith, and have a great flashback movie to watch after ESB and before ROTJ.

A solid A- film overall from a non-objective standpoint.  Probably a B to a B+ objectively.  Onto ROTJ!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

120.5 is suspicious considering that means $0.05m above the current "true" Friday by JW

Plus, 120M looks much better on paper than 119M so they'll fudge it if they've to. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darth Rallax said:

It kinda looks like they do care. DHD has other studios saying $119-120m. As a result of the likely fudge, I am hoping for $75m+ Saturday because that will guarantee $250m even if Friday is $119m. 

• Like 2

I mean is there really that big of a difference between 120m, 125m, and 130m? Any of those are record obliterating. The 145 high range we got at first yesterday was what really got me excited since 300 was happening with that, but we pretty much got confirmation that wasn't happening by the late evening. Maybe in the summer it could've happened? Oh well though, a 250m+ OW in December is every bit as insane or even more so than a 300 one in the summer would have been. 

It's interesting, because if you make some estimates based on their 5 day openings on what TPM and ROTS would have done for OW if opening on a Friday, it's likely they would have broken the OW record holders at the time by a gross 20-25% higher. That is also the range it looks like TFA will land in. 

9 hours ago, catlover said:

To be fair, TBBT makes Star Wars references all the time. Also Star Trek (a lot of times, I think Leonard Nimoy was on the show), LOTR, MCU movies, Harry Potter, etc. So of course it will be featured big time when SW7 opened. I'm not saying SW7 is not hyped, just that TBBT is not a good indicator for how big the hype is.

Oh yeah but to go all meta and air that episode on opening night and parallel the guys reactions to the movie with Sheldon and Amys was comedy gold. So were the Bob Newhart parts. Of course they were going to bring it up but it was the entire sideplot which I wasn't expecting.

And they nailed how I felt before watching it, I was just as nervous as them on the way to the theater and actually sitting down. I don't know when the last time I felt like that was. But you're right, that's just one of many many places the movie was hyped.

Edited by somebody85

9 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It is also exactly enough to make the worldwide gross exactly $250M (including the $129.5M from overseas). Another record broken (previous 3-day worldwide gross record was Deathly Hallows - Part 2's $248.6M)

30 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Man this no-reactions thing is rough. I understand it, but I really want to know/see what you guys thought about it, but I'm not seeing this till maybe Monday, so I can't go in the spoiler thread, and won't feel like reading through 100+ pages.

I like the "spoilers allowed" thread idea, but I wish reactions could come back and just be put in tags. Like i'm itching to know yalls feelings, but since its in the spoiler thread, I can't chart into that territory.

I can PM you some quick thoughts without major spoilers if you want

• Like 1

People complaining about previews being apart of the Friday gross are ridiculous.  Nobody complained about it for any other movie, since literally every other movie does it.  Even with DH2, its "midnights" played for just as many hours as SW7, SW7 just started earlier and ended later.  Advantage for SW7 over DH2?  Yes, but not enough of an advantage to account for it whooping DH2's midnight record by over 20M

• Like 5

Yes, there usually is some fudging with the studio's figures, BUT when the box office tracking sources get all the takings after the weekend and do the adding up, nine out of ten times the actual box office gross for a film, is LOWER, than what the studio's estimated.

• Like 1

Just now, The Panda Menace said:

People complaining about previews being apart of the Friday gross are ridiculous.  Nobody complained about it for any other movie, since literally every other movie does it.  Even with DH2, its "midnights" played for just as many hours as SW7, SW7 just started earlier and ended later.  Advantage for SW7 over DH2?  Yes, but not enough of an advantage to account for it whooping DH2's midnight record by over 20M

Especially since Friday proper is where TFA really wins out. DH2 only made 48m on Friday opposed to 62-63m for TFA

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Especially since Friday proper is where TFA really wins out. DH2 only made 48m on Friday opposed to 62-63m for TFA

Not only that, but it was on a Friday in December compared to the Summer.  Saturday should increase a fair amount off of the true Friday gross.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

Both DH2 and TFA previews ended at 6 AM from an accounting standpoint, so you cannot say DH2 ran the same length of time. A better point would be that DH2 had all screens available at midnight whereas TFA had to share 7-10 PM screens with other movies. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

People complaining about previews being apart of the Friday gross are ridiculous.  Nobody complained about it for any other movie, since literally every other movie does it. 

I've long complained about what a bullshit practice it is. I once joked that there was a rumor Hollywood was going to include Wednesday numbers in the weekend figure and a few people believed me.

37 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Man this no-reactions thing is rough. I understand it, but I really want to know/see what you guys thought about it, but I'm not seeing this till maybe Monday, so I can't go in the spoiler thread, and won't feel like reading through 100+ pages.

I like the "spoilers allowed" thread idea, but I wish reactions could come back and just be put in tags. Like i'm itching to know yalls feelings, but since its in the spoiler thread, I can't chart into that territory.

PM me, and others, if you'd like to get vague reactions. :) 

• Like 1

I'am not complaining, its just that the reporting of the figures is false.

An example of this was in the UK where the opening weekend for the film Spectre, included all the previews which went back to the film opening on the Monday!

Also, mods, can we add an exclamation point or two to the $120.5m # in the title!

If breaking the OD record by $30m doesn't garner some vehement, what does?

Edited by FTF
  • Like 2