#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

Lmfao!!!  President Obama's first sentence from his press conference - "First off, I know this isn't the most important thing on the agenda here today...there is a Star Wars screening in the gold room for the White House"

• Like 16

Just now, MJL said:

Lmfao!!!  President Obama's first sentence from his press conference - "First off, I know this isn't the most important thing on the agenda here today...there is a Star Wars screening in the gold room for the White House"

He better have to lay down $12.

3 minutes ago, MJL said:

Even Obama realizes the power of the force. 

13 minutes ago, MJL said:

Here's a staggering fact..  Assuming a 120m Friday total (which is shockingly reasonable)....it would rank (that one day only) as the 4th highest OW of the year and largest OW since Jurassic World.  IN ONE DAY!!!!

Also, we technically just had the highest grossing Thursday ever.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

IWP2 will be coming off of 11 years of buildup, unless Phase 3 is full of duds it'll be huge.

Yup. The culmination of everything they've been building towards, possibly the last time we see the main Avengers team together or at least the actors portraying them, the Russo brothers directing, it's nuts to write it off because of how a movie four years earlier performed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Friday is basically flat with previews. Then a decent jump on Saturday, good hold on Sunday. Something like 58-65-52.

232m.

I guess that's one way of underselling it. 

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, smerfy01 said:

I'm legit jealous. Boeing IMAX is sold out on this one thru next year already.

If you're ever in the Seattle area, I'll front for Cinerama or Boeing IMAX. It'd be a blast.

Ugh...where am I gonna go to see it again? Gotta get at least RPX -.-

Anecdotal evidence I know, but of the 5 people in my group every single person wants to see it again ASAP. 9/10, 10/10 across the board. Film got a standing ovation in my small as hell screening. I hate tiny theaters >.<

Assuming I like the film enough to see it three times (seeing it at Southcenter in a couple hours and then on the 23rd in Boise with family), I'd definitely want to see it at one of those. Haven't been to them since MMFR had a one-week engagement on each.

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Definitely been in Seattle before and gone to Cinerama. Good times.

I think I give The Boeing IMAX a slight edge, after its renovation. However, the Cinerama popcorn is really enticing.

3 hours ago, smerfy01 said:

IMO there's nothing like the Cinerama. Ultimate movie experience. So hard to get tickets though for something like this -.-

At least it'll be playing there for at least a month. Quentin Tarantino must be so sad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damien Spock said:

Assuming I like the film enough to see it three times (seeing it at Southcenter in a couple hours and then on the 23rd in Boise with family), I'd definitely want to see it at one of those. Haven't been to them since MMFR had a one-week engagement on each.

I think I give The Boeing IMAX a slight edge, after its renovation. However, the Cinerama popcorn is really enticing.

At least it'll be playing there for at least a month. Quentin Tarantino must be so sad.

I'd feel bad for Quentin, but then I remembered that I have a limited engagement viewing in Seattle on Christmas. Why couldn't it be the day after Quentin? -.-

what a disappointing number. not 57m, which is obviously huge, but 71% male. that's abysmal. that means among women this did $57m * 0.29 = $16.5m. dh2 midnight adjusted did $45.7m * 0.54 = $24.7m among women. new moon midnight adjusted did $28.74m * 0.80 = $23.0m among women. and neither of those account for 3d. if tfa did as well among women for previews as dh2 midnight did it would have done $70.3m previews (coincidentally my prediction was 70m) and if it did as well among women for previews as tfa did among men it would have done $91.2m previews. hopefully the final weekend breakdown is closer to 50/50 but wow if there was a box-office-related time to be disappointed in the sexism in the geek community it would be now.

LOL a movie selling this many tickets on Preview Day means that the General Audience are the "fans".:D

Star Wars is just too popular. Even though Disney is doing its best to pimp the brand on every product known to man and in every corner of the universe.

1 minute ago, water said:

what a disappointing number. not 57m, which is obviously huge, but 71% male. that's abysmal. that means among women this did $57m * 0.29 = $16.5m. dh2 midnight adjusted did $45.7m * 0.54 = $24.7m among women. new moon midnight adjusted did $28.74m * 0.80 = $23.0m among women. and neither of those account for 3d. if tfa did as well among women for previews as dh2 midnight did it would have done $70.3m previews (coincidentally my prediction was 70m) and if it did as well among women for previews as tfa did among men it would have done $91.2m previews. hopefully the final weekend breakdown is closer to 50/50 but wow if there was a box-office-related time to be disappointed in the sexism in the geek community it would be now.

These really aren't shocking numbers. Harry Potter and unfortunately Twilight were from novels, which girls do tend to read more and so it's not uncommon for those young adults book to movies to have a bigger female base group vs. Star Wars that is obviously skewed towards more male population.