AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Funny comment from a poster at a music forum I visit:

Definitely seems to be a disconnect with the fans and critics. I suspect the general audience will line up more with the critics. Abrams is a good popcorn movie director. Should entertain everyone at least even if the fans aren't 100% satisfied.

It s like I explained, critics are not involved in those films, they don't give a crap in the end, they all jerk off to their movies with supposed subtext & social commentaries but they don't watch these movies (Star Wars & the like) with emotional involvement or deep interest.

It s even condescending sometimes.

Oh that was fun !

Now let s go back to "serious" movies.

Edited by The Futurist

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

If that's the case, Tele's head will explode during his show tomorrow night.

Probably. Very likely actually. Most of this forum won't like this movie.

Like I suspected from the marketing & trailers, this movie was not made, it was designed by engineers.

And all that lead to its creation was also driven by fear.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

It s like I explained, critics are not involved in those films, they don't give a crap in the end, they all jerk off to their movies with supposed subtext & social commentaries but they don't watch these movies (Star Wars & the like) with emotional involvement or deep interest.

It s even condescending sometimes.

Oh that was fun !

Now let s go back to "serious" movies.

Yeah I agree. You can kind of sense it reading reviews for popcorn movies vs. Oscar bait. I can't speak to what JJ did with this film, but I had a college professor who went out of his way to talk about some of the deep stuff in Empire Strikes Back. 

The few things that they introduced in the film were completely wasted.

Exploring what happened to Luke seems interesting, with him abandoning the resistance, it would have been interesting to see how his character develops. But nope he's basically not in the movie.

The relationship between Han and Ren, what the fuck happened there? Didn't go into any depth whatsoever about why they are apart, what happened, why they feel anger or regret towards each other. Speaking of which, lol @ the scene where Han and Leia are explaining the plot to each other. "Kylo Ren is our son, Leia"; "I know, Han, and he's turned evil!" no shit guys.

Also what's with the First Order? There is a Republic in place and the Order are some fringe group... yet they have armies the size of an empire, and they have a weapon that destroys dozens of planets at once, and the Republic gives no fucks? That wasn't explained, like at all.

• Like 1

I enjoyed it plenty myself. It had a lot of fun moments and I thought Han Solo's death was fantastically done. As for the complaints about Finn and Rey landing blows on Kylo Ren, don't forget the guy was wounded by Chewbacca before the fight. I didn't find it that unbelievable.

If I had to pick my big flaw though it's that several characters really did feel underused or given much weaker roles than advertised. Captain Phasma and Max von Sydow were the big ones, but I'd like to have seen more from Poe, Hux and the Kaijuclub/guys from the Raid (Seriously, you have two amazing martial artists and you don't even give them a real fight scene?). Luke's absense didn't bother me as since I guessed it would happen and I don't think there was really room in the movie to give him an appropriate role. Also I agree the finale could've used a bit more oomph. But that said, it was a still a very fun film.

Are there a lot of New Hope parallels? Probably. I don't really give a shit about that though. If you dig deep enough nearly every film is 'practically the same' to hundreds of others. It's all about the execution. And I think JJ Abrams did a very good job. Do I think it's quite as good as the original trilogy? Not really, but it's close enough that I don't care. Looking forward to the next one.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I will say in defense of John Williams, he is really damn old. 

The soundtrack was probably my biggest disappointment. In a movie like this, I always expect something epic and memorable. Nothing like that was found here.

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Oscar Isaac was given such a nothing character but at least here he proves to a wide audience that he has charisma to sell it like a motherfucker.

The opening scene was the best scene in the film. Every second without Isaac, I just wanted more. He needs to be the lead in more blockbuster, his charisma is too damn highhh.

• Like 2