AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Given all the complaints that it's a rehash of Episode IV, it's pretty funny that this board is in full lockdown mode on potential spoilers in the other threads. CJohn is not even allowed to say he enjoyed the movie in the main thread, lol. That policy will look amusing in hindsight given the supposed rehash issues with this movie.

No, no, the movie is a paradox.

Yeah the story takes a lot of ANH elements BUT there are surprises about all of the characters, their stories and arcs and back stories, all of this is new & come on Luke a no show & McGuffin, Han dies, Rey is the Jedi, Kylo Ren kills his father etc etc etch plenty of stuff to discover still ...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

No, no, the movie is a paradox.

Yeah the story takes a lot of ANH elements BUT there are surprises about all of the characters, their stories and arcs and back stories, all of this is new & come on Luke a no show & McGuffin, Han dies, Rey is the Jedi, Kylo Ren kills his father etc etc etch plenty of stuff to discover still ...

Then again there are fans that speculated along those lines for the last year or however long we've known the character names, etc.

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Then again there are fans that speculated along those lines for the last year or however long we've known the character names, etc.

Of course you could speculate about a lot of those things, God knows I did.

But the average movie goer is not as demented as us.

:D

• Like 2

Kylo Ren and Rey the absolute stand outs, IMO. I was surprised Kylo was Han's son and Rey was Luke's daughter (not confirmed but it is heavily implied plus the force is strong with her).

I loved it. It was all I wanted. A part of me died when Han Solo died. Yes, it takes A LOT from A New Hope (I laughed hard at ANOTHER Death Star blowing up :lol: ), and yes, Captain Phasma and Hux are meh. Neither has a lot to do in this one and hopefully both have more to do in future movies. Max von Sydow has 1 minute screen time, lmao. 

Really curious about the role of Luke, Finn and Snoke in the sequels.

The GA is gonna LOVE it. No doubt in my mind it will have ridiculous legs. 

• Like 8

what the fuck was the point in making this. I'm sorry but it should have just been branded as a remake. Entire scenes are lifted out of the original, right down to the movement and placement of characters, to dialogue, character arcs and plot points.

It literally is a rehash of the original movie. There are good things in it - the humour, the performances from the villains, the side characters like Maz Kanata and Poe Dameron. But it just feels so wasted. They could have done so much, but they decided to just remake the original film (which is perfect in the first place), and everything new not to be explained and just left for some other time in 2017.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Would love to say I loved this. Honestly I'm not even sure I liked it. Even Williams seemed uninspired. I'll sleep on it. 

I loved Kylo Ren and Rey, nothing else really worked for me.

Yep, I thought at least nothing could go wrong with the score, but Williams put in a lackluster effort. The only pieces of music which had any emotion or texture were old themes.

1 minute ago, Salacious Tree Crumb said:

Yep, I thought at least nothing could go wrong with the score, but Williams put in a lackluster effort. The only pieces of music which had any emotion or texture were old themes.

that also suprised me.. the only thing i remember of the music are the old scores.. the new music was really mehh

Funny comment from a poster at a music forum I visit:

Just came back...I don't know what to say. It's like I'm in the Twilight Zone. Whatever drug these critics are taking I need it.

Definitely seems to be a disconnect with the fans and critics. I suspect the general audience will line up more with the critics. Abrams is a good popcorn movie director. Should entertain everyone at least even if the fans aren't 100% satisfied.

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Funny comment from a poster at a music forum I visit:

Definitely seems to be a disconnect with the fans and critics. I suspect the general audience will line up more with the critics. Abrams is a good popcorn movie director. Should entertain everyone at least even if the fans aren't 100% satisfied.

Yeah vast majority of audiences will enjoy it. It is mass consumption entertainment. And the reactions in the audience I was with were all positive.