AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

That was my main problem with the movie, though I can't entirely blame them for being safe after the prequel fiascoes.   Its still more memorable than all the Marvel shit that is exactly the same over and over again.  Episode 8 won't be similar to Empire with Rian Johnson I bet.

I have much bigger expectations for 8, really hoping there aren't too many cooks in the kitchen & a clear effort to expand the world/characters in a lot more depth.

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

That's great! Thanks for your opinion! (Clear I'm going against a big majority here).

There are two narratives in this movie like in every movie.

The McGuffin, the basic story arc, yep , this part is A New Hope to a T.

The Third Death Star thing is gonna hurt the reputation of the movie in the long run.

But the characters' arcs, their characterization  and their interactions, not so much, plenty of surprises here, some you could have guessed some that were more difficult.

Plenty of cool stuff here that we all speculate about.

Finn, Rey,Poe & Kylo felt fresh to me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

The movie was absurdly safe & very similar to ANH. Doesn't mean it's a bad film but it didn't exactly surprise me, the choices were made to appease the most people. The writer makes that point well.

uhhh... isn't that the point of every blockbuster?

I find the complaints that the film is too much like ANH overblown.  Yes... the feel is the same.  That was on purpose.

He ragged a little on Avatar a little also.  

And BTW... I don't have much respect for an article that starts with a strawman arguement...

Christmas Day, I fulfilled my duty as an American consumer and took the family to see the new "Star Wars" movie. The excursion solved a mystery: Why do so many of the reviews, even the enthusiastic ones, carry an undertone of disappointment? 

It is HIS opinion that many of the reviews have an 'undertone of disappointment'.  I find the opposite to be true.  

• Like 3

Those decisions were made out of fear I think and time pressure.

Arndt treatment was not liked.

Iger wanted the movie for 2015 stat.

A 4B investment was at stakes here.

They went with the safest route : JJ, the resident Hollywood Lucas/Spielberg fanboy.

So if Sidious/Palpatine killed Plagious in his sleep then how exactly is he still alive?  Palpatine says the irony is that he can create life, save it, but not his own.  So it would be a big stretch to say he is Plagious.  

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Everyone on here knows you've seen it five times already & that you love it w/ no issues. Thanks for that take.

So my take is not as relevant as yours because you have problems with it?

Thanks for yours as well.

• Like 1

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

Everyone on here knows you've seen it five times already & that you love it w/ no issues. Thanks for that take.

Force Awakens got me invested in its story and the characters like few movies, I cared about what happened to them, that s pretty rare and a very difficult thing to do IMO.

I got shivers in the last act.

Sorry you didn't feel it.

I am dying to know what happens to this characters in the future.

The criticism you talk about is valid, nobody will dispute that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Darth AndyLL said:

uhhh... isn't that the point of every blockbuster?

I find the complaints that the film is too much like ANH overblown.  Yes... the feel is the same.  That was on purpose.

He ragged a little on Avatar a little also.  

And BTW... I don't have much respect for an article that starts with a strawman arguement...

Christmas Day, I fulfilled my duty as an American consumer and took the family to see the new "Star Wars" movie. The excursion solved a mystery: Why do so many of the reviews, even the enthusiastic ones, carry an undertone of disappointment? 

It is HIS opinion that many of the reviews have an 'undertone of disappointment'.  I find the opposite to be true.  

It's an opinion piece, what else are you expecting with that title?

3 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

So if Sidious/Palpatine killed Plagious in his sleep then how exactly is he still alive?  Palpatine says the irony is that he can create life, save it, but not his own.  So it would be a big stretch to say he is Plagious.  

Perhaps Palpatine thought he killed him but he survived?  Snoke does have a big scar across his face and looks deformed. 

I'd rather Snoke not be Plagueis though.

1 minute ago, Baumer Fett said:

So my take is not as relevant as yours because you have problems with it?

Thanks for yours as well.

I actually don't care about your specific opinion to be frank, you seem like Kal w/ Avatar or noctis w/ HP on this one. Too much bias to have a reasonable discussion but thanks again for stating how much you love it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Anakin's birth would finally make sense. Plagueis created Anakin knowing he would be the strongest Sith Lord of all. Because he found out about this and knew he would get replaced by Anakin, Sidious killed Plagueis and took Anakin under his shoulder because he knew Anakin had been created by the dark power of Plagueis. Or some shit like that. It would make more sense than what he got (a woman getting pregnant out of thin air). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

It's an opinion piece, what else are you expecting with that title?

So? What's your point? 

It was your contention that this article showed reasons why TFA would not ' hold up well'.  ( whatever that means )

He doesn't not present his opening thesis as an opinion... he presents it as a fact.

It's poor journalism. 

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I actually don't care about your specific opinion to be frank, you seem like Kal w/ Avatar or noctis w/ HP on this one. Too much bias to have a reasonable discussion but thanks again for stating how much you love it.

You're hilarious.  You just don't like hearing anyone else's opinion on something.  If it doesn't concur with what you feel then it's rubbish.  So thanks for stating you had problems with it.  

• Like 1