AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

Han SOLO is dead, please trust me on this.

Star Wars is not about directors, never has been.

And when it costs 4B, that fact is even more true.

So please stop with the Ryan Johnson's speculation, it s an exercise in futility.

JJ & Kasdan have written the main arcs of the characters the trilogy, Force Awakens is pretty obvious about this.

JJ & Kasdan & Kennedy (and her committee) are the show runners.

Johnson wrote the stories of EP 8&9 but that s it, he didn't decide the characters' fates & arcs.

3 hours ago, K1Rey said:

So he's weak because he has a face?

No, Ren was weak because he was an easily manipulated emo headcase who threw tantrums like a two year old every time he was frustrated (which was often). Also, his voice when wearing the Dark Helmet sounded like he had a stuffy nose. It wasn't menacing at all, which contrasted with his actions. 

6 hours ago, misafeco said:

The biggest WTF in the movie is the laughable defense of the deathstar. You can destroy the whole thing if you have 1 person inside (who can force Captain Phasma to turn off the shield) and a few X-Wing.

The first death star got taken out by just a single X-Wing. The second was pretty much the same once the shields were down. It seems to be a pattern. 

Ren isn't supposed to be "menacing" or "badass"- he's supposed to be an emotionally unstable psychopath with severe personality problems. He's also SUPPOSED  to be a punk ass poser- that's the entire point of his character, how he can't live up to Vader, and is essentially just a confused, poser kid. It's an actual complex and nuanced character that's different than most villains we get. But hey, you can have your generic deep voiced villains that have zero character and do nothing but look cool.  That works in a video game. I'll take a good movie instead.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, K1Rey said:

Also, if it's powered up by the sun until the sun is gone, wouldn't that leave the planet in sub degree temperatures, meaning everyone on the planet would die? 

My thoughts exactly... They used up 2 suns in this movie alone! Doesn't that throw off the gravitational pulls? Wouldn't they be left careening through ice cold space with no sun to orbit... No sun to provide light for their trees and warmth. 

I think on reflection having a Planet Star definitely was unnecessary.

If they wanted a superweapon, they could have instead made Starkiller Base a normal planetary base, but with a Hypervelocity Railgun that can shoot rocks the size of small asteroids into hyperspace at planets with pinpoint targeting.

And you can have it so that you need a starfighter attack via a low-altitude strafing run to destroy the planetary shield, in order for an orbiting fleet to bombard the base. And to heighten tension, have the Railgun blow up a few ships while the fleet battles in orbit. This also puts the focus for the ground mission solely on rescuing Rey, which is justified due to her having seen the map piece and needing to rescue her before Ren et al can extract it from her.

So the final battle would play out fairly similarly, but it would make the trollololol superweapon less of a retread and maybe allow for a more dynamic air and space action setpiece.

9 hours ago, K1Rey said:

Also, if it's powered up by the sun until the sun is gone, wouldn't that leave the planet in sub degree temperatures, meaning everyone on the planet would die? 

I was wondering if they had a way to move the planet after it "used up" the sun or something.   But I guess given its destructive power, it could be thought of as a bomb.    We build bombs to explode once and do damage.   Maybe they think it's worth all that trouble to be able to destroy that many planets at once?

I'm an astronomy major, so probably overthinking this, but also fitting the entire star within a planet is violating physics. The star seemed like a pretty normal Sun-type star -- meaning it's going to have thousands of times the mass of the planet. Fitting the whole star inside the Starkiller Base is like trying to fit a lake inside a watermelon; you can't compress that much mass into that small of a space without changing the matter you're working with. At best, shoving a solar-mass star inside the base gives you a white dwarf, Han and Rey and everybody get smashed into subatomic particles, and the movie's over. At worse, black hole and they find Matthew McConaughey in a bookshelf.

But yeah, Rule of Cool is in play with shooting a frickin' star in a frickin' laser beam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rustyspoons89 said:

My thoughts exactly... They used up 2 suns in this movie alone! Doesn't that throw off the gravitational pulls? Wouldn't they be left careening through ice cold space with no sun to orbit... No sun to provide light for their trees and warmth. 

A long time ago, in a galaxy far removed from physics...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I'm not sure Rey is gonna be Luke's daughter.   Looks like a red herring to me.

Could be, but then how do you explain her ability to use the force?

9 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Could be, but then how do you explain her ability to use the force?

Not all Force users have a father or mother force sensitive ?

She just does.

Was Anakin s mother FORCE sensitive ?

Making everyone s a relative of everyone is really gonna turn this into a telenovela.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Not all Force users have a father or mother force sensitive ?

She just does.

Was Anakin s mother FORCE sensitive ?

Making everyone s a relative of everyone is really gonna turn this into a telenovela.

She isn't just force sensitive, she has used it before and she has a raw grasp of it.

She also has Luke's sabre calling to her.

She has also seen Luke's island and the water.

She has some kind of connection to Luke.

Nothing you guys have said makes me think she is not his daughter.....too much points to her being.