AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

7 minutes ago, K1Rey said:

I have a question, who was the old man at the beginning of the film. Was he someone really important from the past? Someone from the books? I don't recall anyone mentioning his name (and I've seen it 4 times now).

He's not a pre-existing character. In the visual dictionary, it does say he's kind of a Jedi culture protector who helped Luke after ROTJ so there's definitely history with the family, which is why he knows Kylo Ren. Other than that, not much. I think he will pop up eventually in a spinoff and/or novels. Some speculate Mads Mikkelson might be playing the younger version of him in Rogue One, solely based on their Scandinavian background and the ages line up for the timeline. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

He's not a pre-existing character. In the visual dictionary, it does say he's kind of a Jedi culture protector who helped Luke after ROTJ so there's definitely history with the family, which is why he knows Kylo Ren. Other than that, not much. I think he will pop up eventually in a spinoff and/or novels. Some speculate Mads Mikkelson might be playing the younger version of him in Rogue One, solely based on their Scandinavian background and the ages line up for the timeline. 

He also performed a couple of exorcisms and witnessed a few heads spinning 360 degrees. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Okay thanks! Phew, at first I was embarrassed as I was thinking I was missing a major character's name :lol:

10 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

The Max Von Sydow character obviously is an ally of the resistance and he knew Han and Leia, even Ben Solo.  He says Leia is still royalty in his eyes, so this must mean he has known her for at least 30 years.  He and Kylo/Ben also know each other ass Kylo remarks that he has gotten old.  So he is probably a man who was in the resistance and now makes his home on Jakku.  I also wonder if he kept an eye on Rey as well.  She's on Jakku, so is he and somehow the Falcon ends up there.....all of these cannot be coincidences.

Yeah this is all I got from that guy too, so I figured maybe they'd perhaps put him in with possible flash backs if they do so in episode 8 to explain some things. 

Anyone think Rey's mind was erased via jedi mind trick by luke or him? Because I just feel like it makes total sense given how powerful she is so fast, even annakin wasn't this strong in the early getco. I feel like either she's Luke's kid and he trained her in the jedi school he was trying to build, or she could have just been a random person at his school that he trained with others (and perhaps like annakin she just has a strong pull with the force). 

• Like 1

I think once Luke's nephew turned to the dark side, Luke must have been afraid that his own daughter would as well.  So yes, I think he had her memory put to sleep, put in the catacombs so to speak.  She is definitely the awakening that the title speaks of, imo.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

I think once Luke's nephew turned to the dark side, Luke must have been afraid that his own daughter would as well.  So yes, I think he had her memory put to sleep, put in the catacombs so to speak.  She is definitely the awakening that the title speaks of, imo.

Also he may have been close to the dark side himself at that point, like to see your nephew destroy everything you built and kill all the students you were responsible for protecting. If Luke was close to turning in ROTJ, I imagine that would be an even bigger test. 

• Like 2

Plus what's the important of her staff that she carries? So shes' to swinging something around at some point as she's always carrying it. Why would she have the need for it if she's just a smuggler (I know the obvious would be self defense, but she swings it like a pro in some scenes).

• Like 1

On 12/26/2015 at 1:50 PM, 4815162342 said:

Harpo, so if Mace Windu comes back you'll be fine with that right? We never see him die and his body falls out of sight, so he could easily have been laying low for 50 years waiting to wreck some shit.

We also never see Grand Moff Tarkin die. Sure we see him on the Death Star and a second later in the film the Death Star blows up, but we never see his body get torched/blown up! That shot could have been hours later and he could have escaped in the gap!

I'm seeing people repeatedly changing what I'm saying and/or assuming I'm saying something I'm not.   That's what makes me suspect some are emotionally attached to the idea that Han is dead.   You don't appear to be reading what I'm saying or are just reading part of it before letting your mind fill in the blanks.

Did I say I would be fine with Han coming back?   Did I express any preference there?   Did I say I hope he comes back?

I'm leaving the option open because I've seen this situation too many times in movies.   It's an unwritten rule:  "If you don't see them die, they aren't dead".   I didn't make that up so don't blame me.   If you really want Han Solo to die, wouldn't you write a scene where he dies in Chewie's or Leia's arms and there is a body?

On 12/26/2015 at 2:18 PM, CJ Ren said:

I swear Ford is at home seeing all the fanboys saying it is totally possible he is still alive and thinking he should have added 10 other different things to his death. Like getting his head, legs and arms cut from his body and after that turn into dust. 

Most fans are really convinced he is dead and won't hear otherwise.

On 12/26/2015 at 2:28 PM, Darth Rallax said:

I'm pretty sure Harpo is the only person I've seen assuming he is still alive.  You know, because he's seen more movies than anyone else.

Again a distortion of what I say.   I can keep correcting you guys I guess but it would be easier if you just read my posts without emotion.

Am I "assuming he is still alive"?     ...Or am I really "leaving the option open because I didn't see him die"?    Which one sounds like what I said?

I'm not saying he is "definitely dead without question" like most other are...that's the difference.   I'm certainly not say "He's alive" either.

On 12/26/2015 at 5:51 PM, moviesRus said:

Finn has an American accent because all stormtroopers have American accents. Even Daniel Craig had to fake his accent in that cameo. It shows that they're low level employees of the Empire/First Order. Only the top brass aristocratic people are British. Which is also what makes Kylo Ren notable and kind of makes him seem like he doesn't belong there. 

Captain Phasma has a Brit accent.

On 12/27/2015 at 10:51 PM, Baumer Fett said:

GREAT INFO!!

9 Ways the Novelization of Star Wars: The Force Awakens Fills in the Blanks from the Movie

http://www.outerplaces.com/science-fiction/item/10755-ways-the-novelization-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens-fills-in-the-blanks-from-the-movie

That helps.

On 12/27/2015 at 11:29 PM, 75live said:

agreed, she, as well as the other, were great.  But she quickly became one of my favorite characters in the whole saga that quicklyl

Same here.  I already like her more than Luke.

23 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Seriously, by the standards of Frozen and Harspoke, who HAS had an onscreen death in a movie lately? Outside of Marion Cottliard's horrific death in TDKR, I can barely think of any examples of major characters in blockbuster films having concrete, definitive death scenes by this ridiculous standard. He got stabbed through the heart with a lightsaber. He's deader than dead. 

Though I will say, debating whether Han is dead is 100000000x times better than listening to people complain about how "weak" Kylo Ren looked without his mask. 

Also better than "Rey is a Mary Sue character".   ;)

Characters die in movies all the time.   And when it's a character with the status in the story of a Han Solo....it's not an off screen death.

23 hours ago, Orestes said:

Maybe it's a flashback, or maybe they don't wanna give away what happens by saying Ford isn't coming back.

Now that makes me wonder why they would need to include his name if everyone is so certain that Han died?   What would they be giving away by not listing his name?

23 hours ago, Frozen said:

I could care less if he's dead or not. I was just throwing out possibilities. I won't post about it again, dang.

Don't step out of line with the consensus again!   ;) 

23 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

My mistake, no harm no foul. But still. There's at least one dude WAY too adamant about this. He's dead, Jim. 

I'm only responding to very aggressive responses.  The aggression is not coming from me.  

Just now, K1Rey said:

Plus what's the important of her staff that she carries? So shes' to swinging something around at some point as she's always carrying it. Why would she have the need for it if she's just a smuggler (I know the obvious would be self defense, but she swings it like a pro in some scenes).

She's not a smuggler.  Just a scavenger.  And in that harsh environment where people would hurt or kill for survivial, best to be equipped with a weapon.  Just like people wearing concealed handgun in real life.  Or wearing it openly.  And she does it like a pro means she has been fighting in the past.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Klingo said:

She's not a smuggler.  Just a scavenger.  And in that harsh environment where people would hurt or kill for survivial, best to be equipped with a weapon.  Just like people wearing concealed handgun in real life.  Or wearing it openly.  And she does it like a pro means she has been fighting in the past.

Oops yes! I didn't mean smuggler! :P 

9 minutes ago, misafeco said:

The biggest WTF in the movie is the laughable defense of the deathstar. You can destroy the whole thing if you have 1 person inside (who can force Captain Phasma to turn off the shield) and a few X-Wing.

The whole Death Star plot was my biggest negative.

After watching the movie, my friends who are casual SW fans had the biggest nerd argument over how to build a fail proof death star.

Our idea is equipping Star Destroyers with smaller lasers that can easily destroy ships or cities.

Why destroy a planet / 

18 minutes ago, misafeco said:

The biggest WTF in the movie is the laughable defense of the deathstar. You can destroy the whole thing if you have 1 person inside (who can force Captain Phasma to turn off the shield) and a few X-Wing.

That's my biggest gripe too.

Upon the second viewing it didn't seem important though because it almost feels like a background narrative to the main focus on Rey.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

That's my biggest gripe too.

Upon the second viewing it didn't seem important though because it almost feels like a background narrative to the main focus on Rey.

This.

they should of gotten rid of the Death Star and made it about getting Rey back. They could have had the fighter pilots still fight as a distraction for Han and fin to get in. But despite it it never took me out of the film cause the Death Star was an after thought anyhow.

• Like 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

After watching the movie, my friends who are casual SW fans had the biggest nerd argument over how to build a fail proof death star.

Our idea is equipping Star Destroyers with smaller lasers that can easily destroy ships or cities.

Why destroy a planet / 

A terror weapon.  Treat it like a weapon of mass destruction.  Destroy a planet, other systems will submit.

Why destroy a planet / 

Every system has a weakness.  Even a Deathstar or StarKiller.

My friends favourtie part...

Was when the Admiral Ackbar character  lookalike talked.

We could not stop laughing... We just wanted him to say its a trap! 

That is Admiral Ackbar.

• Like 2