baumer

Star Wars Tuesday - 37.3M (Tele/baumer bet for Wednesday drop is on page 24...much to learn one of them still has)

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

She went from every adolescent boy's fantasy in ROTJ to something out of the Mines of Moria in SW7

i kid i kid

Well compared to how she looked running up to the movie she looked great. Her voice and attitude were off though, she didnt seem to have the fire she had in the OT. While its understandable to a degree I expected her to be a bit spunkier.

1 minute ago, mepal1 said:

I agree.......i think after the Xmas period SWTFA boxoffice will slow down considerably in January, and in particular the non-English speaking regions of the world.

China is an unknown, but as you say the gross there would truly have to be monstrous for the film to have any chance of passing Avatar.

Incidently, if one were to take into account inflation adjusted boxoffice, then Avatar is actually over $3 billion, Gone with the Wind at $3.4 billion, and even the original Star Wars made an equivalent to $2.8 billion in figures adjusted for 2014.

yes but if we adjust for inflation AND Changes in exchange rates since 2009 Avatar actually goes down, I want to say to 2.5 billion. The dollar is much stronger now than in 2009. 

7 minutes ago, tokila said:

this is very incorrect. Every movie in the top 25 DOM alltime has dropped its 1st tuesday from 1st monday. Except Titanic and finding Nemo. Please look at each movie, then look at dailes than look at drop % on 1st tuesday. at 6-7 % TFA is actually better than most. 

The Avengers dropped the same % tuesday (6.5%), but well 66% compared to 33% for TFA Monday.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

The tuesday rise seems to occur later in the runs for these bigger movies. 

Please read members post carefully before replying!

I was referring to the box office of this week! :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

:D

Was I the only person to like her portayal? I mean she isn't Meryl Streep so I wasn't expecting a high degree of acting. Some people have said she was too emotionless (especially when she felt Han's death) but I thought it was inline with the character from the original trilogies and someone who has been leading a war front for the better part of 30 years. Emotions get hardened in times like that.

Especially the 30y of loss, fights, hardening.... it's plausible IMHO.

And I do not like overly drama like too often used anyway, not all people react the same in RL, including some feel at first numb and might even need weeks till the first cry and so on.

2 minutes ago, tokila said:

yes but if we adjust for inflation AND Changes in exchange rates since 2009 Avatar actually goes down, I want to say to 2.5 billion. The dollar is much stronger now than in 2009. 

.........that's true, BUT then again ticket prices are higher now than they were in 2009.

Unfortunately film box office comparison can never really be fair, as there are so many variables to take into account over time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mepal1 said:

Please read members post carefully before replying!

I was referring to the box office of this week! :rolleyes:

You know that actually makes you even more ignorant. Why would you compare a massive blockbuster coming off a record OW with movies none of which made even 15m in their OW instead of comparing them with other movies of similar scale?

• Like 4

For those who doubt the 1 billion possibility, here is SW versus AVATAR+32% (basically, 1 billion):

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS AVATAR + 32 %    
Daily % Drop Cume Daily Cume DAILY DIFF CUME DIFF
57,000,000   57,000,000 4,884,000 4,884,000 52,116,000 52,116,000
62,119,282 8.98% 119,119,282 30,428,771 35,312,771 31,690,511 83,806,511
68,294,204 9.94% 187,413,486 33,698,328 69,011,098 34,595,876 118,402,388
60,553,189 -11.33% 247,966,675 32,662,537 101,673,635 27,890,652 146,293,040
40,109,742 -33.76% 288,076,417 21,629,282 123,302,917 18,480,460 164,773,500
37,361,729 -6.85% 325,438,146 21,234,129 144,537,046 16,127,600 180,901,100
  • Like 10

14 minutes ago, tokila said:

this is very incorrect. Every movie in the top 25 DOM alltime has dropped its 1st tuesday from 1st monday. Except Titanic and finding Nemo. Please look at each movie, then look at dailes than look at drop % on 1st tuesday. at 6-7 % TFA is actually better than most. 

The Avengers dropped the same % tuesday (6.5%), but well 66% compared to 33% for TFA Monday.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

The tuesday rise seems to occur later in the runs for these bigger movies. 

I think they were referencing this week specifically, since every movie did increase besides TFA. But they forgot to account for Sunday to Monday spillover for a super popular title like TFA, thus making Monday's number a little inflated from other titles this week, as others have stated.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Well compared to how she looked running up to the movie she looked great. Her voice and attitude were off though, she didnt seem to have the fire she had in the OT. While its understandable to a degree I expected her to be a bit spunkier.

But if you think how the resitance seem to be in a kind of edge/corner, no strong support... over such a long time, Han away too, son lost to the dark side, mother of a murderer...., can't you imagine her being not the same as a young one?

Do you not know someone in RL, who has gone through a lot over a long time who too lost the spunk of the youth?

IMHO I think the shown version was more beliefable than an old Leia still behaving in a way like a young one. Decades of experience without change...?

Edited by terrestrial
typos...
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Infernus said:

You know that actually makes you even more ignorant. Why would you compare a massive blockbuster coming off a record OW with movies none of which made even 15m in their OW instead of comparing them with other movies of similar scale?

Excuse me, the only one ignorant here is you. I was just stating a fact from this weeks BO, but somehow you are reading different things into it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tokila said:

Not only that, but overseas markets were much different when Star wars was released vs Avatar.  It's hard to compare WW totals of movies so far apart.  It's hard enough to even compare them domestically.

You also have to account for 3D, IMAX, and Premium Theaters not being a real thing for Star Wars, like it was for Avatar.  

Also, Avatar has shown no capability to produce the same kind of long term cultural mark that Star Wars has.  If you mention it now, people will simply remark, "That movie with the blue people that ripped off Pocahantas?" or something to that extent.  

Avatar is certainly big, and we'll see how well its sequels do (if they ever come out), but its not Star Wars.

6 minutes ago, tokila said:

Yeah but if we adjust that for inflation and changes in exchange rates AND expansion of lots of markets (Latin America, South Korea, more than a few other asian markets and China (where it adjusts to around 1200m in today's market)) It would get to 3B. 

Note: just so people don't get the wrong idea due to a number of my posts praising Avatar's box office - I am not a Avatar fanboy (never even got to watch it in theaters sadly). I am just someone who really respected Avatar's box office before and whose admiration of it has only increased on realizing that even a film with grosses of this scale cannot reach close to its OS gross.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

Not only that, but overseas markets were much different when Star wars was released vs Avatar.  It's hard to compare WW totals of movies so far apart.  It's hard enough to even compare them domestically.

You also have to account for 3D, IMAX, and Premium Theaters not being a real thing for Star Wars, like it was for Avatar.  

Also, Avatar has shown no capability to produce the same kind of long term cultural mark that Star Wars has.  If you mention it now, people will simply remark, "That movie with the blue people that ripped off Pocahantas?" or something to that extent.  

Avatar is certainly big, and we'll see how well its sequels do (if they ever come out), but its not Star Wars.

What?

29 minutes ago, DAR said:

One billion isn't on the table, but it's certainly in the waiting room.

Oh it's on the table, but first you have the bread and then the appetizers and then you have the main course and then, if it's still hungry, it's gonna be all up in that $1 billion dessert!

• Like 6

Regarding sequels, i would be surprised if the sequels to the new SW film, would challenge the BO of SWTFA, as its the first film that has all the hype and public expectation, that so many people want to go and see it.

This was the case for the first 2 SW trilogies. Even though Empire and Jedi were massive hits, they weren't in the same league as SW, and the same applied to the 2nd trilogy, where Phantom grossed a lot more than Clones or Sith.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darth AndyLL said:

When 59years old you reach, look as good, you will not.

When having some injuries.... (RL via work, car,... or movie character via fights....) you'll even appear way earlier a bit older than like e.g. 20. Plus normal aging, too much work at a desk now (e.g. based on injuries) too changes a lot in appearence and fitness

That I can confirm via myself :lol:

Isn't Disney adding an "Avatar Land" to their Animal Kingdom theme park in Florida? It presents an interesting conflict. They have a vested interest in Avatar sequels doing well, to help promote their Avatar rides/attractions, while at the same time, hoping Fox doesn't do too well with them, and outstrip the success of their Star Wars and Marvel films.