kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

2 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Exactly. However.....BvS dropped harsh due to negative WOM, right?

Yes, but it opened MUCH bigger than Zootopia (£14.6m to £5.3m) and took over the majority of evening showings in the first week.

Plus, Zootopia dropped pretty hard after the Easter holiday, when kids returned to school.

Weekend actuals: $12.2M

Japan: $4M

Rest of the world: $8.2M => 33% drop from last weekend

Predictions: another $20M from OS-Japan. Another $40M from Japan. => Needs $32M from US to reach $1B.

All 3 numbers are not impossible but I think it will be tough.

1 hour ago, Quigley said:

Weekend actuals: $12.2M

Japan: $4M

Rest of the world: $8.2M => 33% drop from last weekend

Predictions: another $20M from OS-Japan. Another $40M from Japan. => Needs $32M from US to reach $1B.

All 3 numbers are not impossible but I think it will be tough.

Showbuzzdaily says US will reach 336M, bringing worldwide total to 927M.

If OS-Japan = 20M then worldwide total 947M.

Japan needs to bring at least 53M more.

You're right, it's tough.

23 hours ago, Olive said:

It didn't do as good as I expect in the UK, I thought 50M would be possible, but the release date is so shitty. 

It would have been smarter to just release it in the UK on March 4. Sure, Kung Fu Panda 3 would come up on March 11, but does that really matter?

Edited by cannastop

15 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It would have been smarter to  just release it in the UK on March 4. Sure, Kung Fu Panda 3 would come up on March 11, but does that really matter?

Yeah, KFP3 did really bad in europe.Disney really overestimate its affection.

3 minutes ago, Arlo245 said:

I really hope it doesn't get overshadowed by new releases this weekend. But I have hope. 

The main new releases are Captain America 3 and Chihayafuru. Marvel isn't a juggernaut like it is in the rest of the world, and I'm not too sure about that other movie.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The main new releases are Captain America 3 and Chihayafuru. Marvel isn't a juggernaut like it is in the rest of the world, and I'm not too sure about that other movie.

Yeah I knew about Cap 3 but not the other. And yeah, I agree with your point on Marvel movies, especially Captain America which isn't very popular. I wasn't really worried about that movie's effect on Zoo in the first place. More so for local films but looks like there is only one. 

22 hours ago, Arlo245 said:

Yeah I knew about Cap 3 but not the other. And yeah, I agree with your point on Marvel movies, especially Captain America which isn't very popular. I wasn't really worried about that movie's effect on Zoo in the first place. More so for local films but looks like there is only one. 

.... but this time they have Supaidaman!

On 4/26/2016 at 8:36 PM, newbie BO buff said:

Showbuzzdaily says US will reach 336M, bringing worldwide total to 927M.

If OS-Japan = 20M then worldwide total 947M.

Japan needs to bring at least 53M more.

You're right, it's tough.

Most recent prediction I found on Showbuzzdaily had US projection of 340M. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I think OS-Japan could be closer to another 24M more (617M 612M total). OS-Japan from Apr 17 to 24 was 11.8M, previous week excluding China was 16.4M, drop of only 29%.

By those numbers, WW-Japan 957M 952M, so 43M 48M required from Japan.

Still feeling optimistic about 1B WW, but I'm very new to this (first post!) and only discovered this site a week or so ago while trying to find predictions for how Zootopia would do in Japan.

Edited by Jason
math fail
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Most recent prediction I found on Showbuzzdaily had US projection of 340M. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I think OS-Japan could be closer to another 24M more (617M total). OS-Japan from Apr 17 to 24 was 11.8M, previous week excluding China was 16.4M, drop of only 29%.

By those numbers, WW-Japan 957M, so 43M required from Japan.

Still feeling optimistic about 1B WW, but I'm very new to this (first post!) and only discovered this site a week or so ago while trying to find predictions for how Zootopia would do in Japan.

Hi there and welcome!

Anyways, the OS-Japan is really hard to gauge because this movie has been in theaters around the world since February. Not much gunpowder left, really.

1 minute ago, IndustriousAngel said:

Well, it's adding another million US$ this wekend in Germany ... really incredible holds!

Ah, yes. Well, outside Japan, I guess we have Germany, South Korea (amazingly), Australia and the UK (kind of). Everywhere else, it's played out.

• Like 2

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know why Zootopia's numbers in Latin America aren't as strong as other recent animated hits (Inside Out)?  Is it mainly because Zoo was released in the Spring?

Edited by gavni63

4 minutes ago, gavni63 said:

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know why Zootopia's numbers in Latin America weren't as strong as other recent animated hits (Inside Out)?  Is it mainly because Zoo was released in the Spring?

Might have something to do with currency fluctuations. Argentina's and Brazil's currency went to shit between Inside Out and Zootopia.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gavni63 said:

Makes sense.  Shame about the exchange rate though, especially regarding Russia.  If the ruble was fairing better then $1 billion would be a lot more certain.

The Ruble is shit mainly because of Vladimir Putin's horrible decisions. How much money Zootopia can make is a trifling concern compared to what Russia is facing right now.