kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

I think IO's boxoffice performance is more mind-blowing to me, IO doesn't play it "safe" with some cute animals, and I really thought its abstract storytelling would alienate the audience. Nevertheless, Zootopia is an awesome movie and deserves the global success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giesi said:

I think IO's boxoffice performance is more mind-blowing to me, IO doesn't play it "safe" with some cute animals, and I really thought its abstract storytelling would alienate the audience. Nevertheless, Zootopia is an awesome movie and deserves the global success.

Well, I'm not an Inside Out fanboy, but I will say that its domestic performance clearly outshines Zootopia's, and it was a tougher sell.

But I don't think Zootopia played it safe, outside of telling the story with animals.

8 minutes ago, movieboner said:

How likely will it reach $1 billion worldwide? It's so close to that target, if Disney doesn't push it then they will miss a huge opportunity for another $1 billion grosser.

Japan looks encouraging, I'll tell you that much.

6 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Excellent hold for Zoo.

The yen has been weakening for a few days now though and if it persists, that will surely hurt Zoo.

I thought conversion is mostly done based on the opening day exchange rate?

At this point, don't go too much into details for these international results. Don't agonize with the numbers and don't get too pessimistic over numbers. Just enjoy the numbers when they come in. If it gets to $1B, that is great. If not, it is still pretty good result. 

• Like 2

Looking at other March animated releases, it's not hard to calculate that Zootopia will finish about 340 domestic almost on the nose.

That leaves 30 million from os including Japan that it will need as of today.

Have no idea if that's doable or not but that's the number.

I'm not understanding why so much is needed from Japan?

Zootopia is pretty much the first movie I've tracked WW grosses; however, didn't the movie make another $10+ million outside of Japan Worldwide last week?

Is the movie expected to fall off a cliff from this point forward outside of Japan and domestically?

Zootopia continues its upwards adjustment from $956.4 to $959 million today on boxofficemojo. (That's $3 million added in 3 days!)

The hold domestically has been great and can still add another $9-$11 million. That'd bring the total to $970 million.

Japan's holds look promising even with only about another $20 (total of around $47 million) million would bring the total to $990 million.

Arent the rest of the WW markets still expected to bring in more cash?! 

Then there's also still Turkey...

18 minutes ago, NYer4Life said:

Arent the rest of the WW markets still expected to bring in more cash?!

Angry Birds is being released in most of Europe this week, and that'll likely put a severe crimp into its numbers.

Edited by LMAbacus

6 hours ago, movieboner said:

How likely will it reach $1 billion worldwide? It's so close to that target, if Disney doesn't push it then they will miss a huge opportunity for another $1 billion grosser.

Okay, so here's how Zootopia has been doing for the past few weeks:

Cume ($M) as of: 24-Apr   01-May   08-May  
Domestic 316.4 (+9.0) 323.8 (+7.4) 328.2 (+4.4)
OS-Japan 588.1 (+11.8) 595.5 (+7.4) 602.1 (+6.6)
Japan 4.0   13.5   27.9  
Total 908.5   932.8   958.2  

I calculated OS-Japan by substracting Japan's total from the OS total. I didn't bother to show the weekly gain for Japan or the total since it isn't particularly meaningful.

Domestically, Zootopia's legs have been great so far, but it will lose screens with the Angry Birds release (May 20) and the dvd is coming out on June 7. I think a final domestic estimate of $336M is pretty reasonable.

Overseas holds have also been very good so far, but again, Angry Birds is releasing this week in many overseas territories. With most of the overseas territories not being individually tracked it's harder to predict future performance. However, I think there's a good chance we could get another $10M, for a total OS-Japan of $612M. This also doesn't include Turkey.

Turkey is opening June 10. Based on how other Disney animated films have done, $3M seems like a reasonable estimate.

I think these estimates are somewhat conservative, although I'd welcome feedback. They result in a total of $951M, requiring $49M total from Japan for $1B.

In the Japan thread, cannastop quoted Corpse: "[Zootopia's] chances of reaching the ¥5 billion ($45 million+) blockbuster milestone are very good."

At this point, I'd say that it's more likely than not that Zootopia will reach $1B.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 2