druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

Friday averages / # of locations

Love the Coopers - $224 / (245 locations)

The Peanuts Movie - $312 / (359 locations)

In the Heart of the Sea - $460 / (685 locations)

The Good Dinosaur - $461 / (461 locations)

The Martian - $466 / (279 locations)

The Night Before - $467 / (214 locations)

Spectre - $726 / (372 locations)

Krampus - $755 / (1152 locations)

Mockingjay - $838 / (1813 locations)

Creed - $1024 / (1518 locations)

wtf happened to Love the Coopers.  I realized even though it is a holiday movie, it was destined to loose almost all of its screens and show up at dollar theaters.  Nonetheless, this seems like the only Hallmark channel movie to be out this year and I thought demand would put it in the 300-400 average range during the holiday days. The Peanuts Movie  has shown respectable improvement with averages since shedding 1,800+ theaters.  It really picked up in the days leading to x-mas eve and reflecting on 2009, it was expected to have a Friday of $300 (or on par with weekdays).  Now, with less screens this weekend, we can see if Peanuts Movie can double this number going to the next set of weekdays.  Reflecting on 2009, The Peanuts Movie should increase over 100% today.  That gives an average north of $600.  The conventional box office knowledge says everyday now acts like a Saturday leading up to New Years Day so do not be surprised if The Peanuts Movie averages $500+ going forward.  It is probably dominating dollar theaters right now, competing with Hotel Transylvania 2 and Goosebumps so I am not sure it will be affected.  Please post all dollar theater data if someone has got it.  I estimate out of 359 locations that Peanuts is playing at, maybe 100 are dollar theaters with most of them being 3-d. 

In the Heart of the Sea...  wow!  what a dud!!!!!!!!!  Today it should have displayed a healthy average.  Look at Creed vs Sea for Christmas Day.  It has less than half the number of screens of Creed and also has less than half the average of Creed.  Would one think it should at least match Creed in average for Christmas Day.  It seems if Christmas Day was an opportunity for Creed to bump its average daily attendance, people would want to see this Ron Howard film too!  The Martian did well and I am sure Bridge of Spies did too!  The Martian is at 279 locations and probably 100 of them by now are at the dollar theater.  Expect it to have strong daily averages until home video.   The Night Before kind of looks like This is the End.  This is the End lots all of its theaters and was displaying scorching averages in minimal locations questioning the studios motives of taking advantage of easy $$ and studio cred.  It seems the niche appeal should still exist, howevr Star Wars hit it HARD last Friday and it sort of rebounded last Sunday.   With 372 theaters, Spectre should still be playing in 300+ non-dollar theater locations.  Showtimes for each location are thin so expect near full capacity at Christmas Day.  It will probably pull daily attendance similar to how Mad Max was doing later in its run at hot spots around the country. 

Solid for Krampus.  lol....  the only question is, can it increase 20 percent today and hit a $900 average or will this decrease here on out???  If you look through fandango, Krampus is usually at the end of the theater listings for most individual theaters with sparse showtimes.  Must have been a hot ticket!  Same goes for Mockingjay (sort of).  Scrolling through fandango, Mockingjay pops out as the last aesthetically appealing feature for a theaters list of 15 screens.  Thumbing through each movie, I am a little disappointed Mockingjay did not pull up higher compared to its competitors.  It seems it still has a solid 4 showtimes for each location it is playing at.  Whereas Krampus looked to have 3 showtimes....  Looking at Mockingjay part 1 and how well it held up last year, I was hoping some pockets of peoples still had Mockingjay part 2 on their things to do list....  Also, out of these pre-Star Wars releases, I was hoping this had the best average over Creed, but i expected them both to be similar still..   Looking at history, it is not suprising to see Creed might have been at near full capacity during Christmas Day.  Will the spirit continue though????  The Good Dinosaur's Christmas Day number should be its lowest daily gross until Monday, January 4th

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Giving a 0 to the last Hunger Games is completely fair. I got so angry in theaters seeing it on opening night, err, preview night, whatever, that I hated the final hour. I would also give it a zero. My Hunger games ratings were maybe A-, A, C-, and F. Really took a nose dive after Catching Fire. Bummer... I was excited for the last two parts. 

I wouldn't give it an F or a 0 but I wouldn't give it much more then a 4 or a D. By far the biggest disappointment of the year to me.

• Like 1

US.png

Thanks, #ED!  Your advice was spot on.

This was the weather map I tried to post hours ago.  Here in fly-over land we are getting weather that is definitely keeping people home.  I've been snowed in since early afternoon.

Just wondering what that might do to the final numbers for today/early estimates tomorrow.

• Like 1

Kal once called me "smelly boy" during an argument on BOM during an argument on the Dragonball movie. Never forget. 

Also, anytime BKB and Kal get into a fight, I die and then come back to life, less human and more bent on angry revenge than ever before. I'm Beric Dondarrion at this point. 

• Like 11

Always remember that Kal wasn't on this incarnation of the boards for the first few years, but we thankfully found him in hiding over at HSX and brought him home in time for Man of Steel

• Like 5