druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

3 minutes ago, Deedlit said:

I'm thinking 48M.

SW7 will have rather inflated second and third weeks (meaning 12/21-1/3) due to the holiday season, and that goes away the following week.  I expect a drop worse than JW on the fourth weekend.  It should drop better after that, but some damage will have been done.  In the end it will do better than JW, but I'm thinking 1-1.2B.

Rth only deals in absolutes.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes! :P And Rth is not a Sith, he's like Yoda, basically. 

I agree there is only so much "demand" out there, in the sense that the pool of potential moviegoers is limited to some extent, but at the same time I really don't believe the film is anywhere near that limit yet. $550M with the premium formats, 3D, etc. through this weekend is probably 50 million tickets sold, maybe 55 million, sure. But there are 300 million Americans and even young kids can go see this movie. There are many, many more people out there. Not to mention people like me who will not contribute to the declines at all. I'll be there a few times every week until it leaves theaters; it's what I do. ;)

Of the people I know, since you asked, my girlfriend's grandparents are waiting for crowds to die down, which hasn't happened yet clearly. Her godfather and his wife are waiting as well. They have all said in no uncertain terms they ARE going, just waiting. My dad is waiting. His personal chef (don't ask) is waiting, too. My best friend Florian is waiting and still hasn't seen it, even though he's a young guy who I would think would have been there. I'll probably go with him. My sister is seeing it with me next week. Her boyfriend hasn't seen it either.

Virtually everyone I know has a plan to see this movie, or has seen it, but the split at present is definitely no worse than 50-50, with half the people I know having plans to see it shortly but have not seen it yet. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, spizzer said:

Pretty awesome.  Expect soft Sunday drops across the board.  

All the openers decline, even Joy. Not quite good number.

Back in 2009 when Christmas Day was last time on Friday, only Sherlock Holms dropped. I hope for really soft drop tomorrow.

44 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

1.6b would make it #2 all time adjusted.  Not happening dude lol

Lol, yeah that's a fun dream but no. That being said as high as a 5x multi still isn't off the table, which is 1.24b or so. January will be the real test. 1 bil is locked. it should be anywhere between 800-830 next Sunday. I'm really liking my $1.111b prediction right now though in the box office contest. 

Some of you peeps are funny. 

This is movie will cruise past 1B. Lock it up and throw away the key. 

You're telling me that a movie that will be near 800m after its 3rd weekend will suddenly drop off a cliff and die over the next 3  months! Because this movie will play in theaters well into March. 

Again, funny

• Like 6

Perhaps the true test of how well a movie has done is if you can safely say that the biggest, craziest fan boys underestimated it. One of our users on TheForce.net got skewered for suggesting it could hit $250M on OW and that it would, if it's good, easily pass Avatar. Everyone assumed he was a nut job. But even he didn't have it going as high as $1 billion. :P

20 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I agree there is only so much "demand" out there, in the sense that the pool of potential moviegoers is limited to some extent, but at the same time I really don't believe the film is anywhere near that limit yet. $550M with the premium formats, 3D, etc. through this weekend is probably 50 million tickets sold, maybe 55 million, sure. But there are 300 million Americans and even young kids can go see this movie. There are many, many more people out there. Not to mention people like me who will not contribute to the declines at all. I'll be there a few times every week until it leaves theaters; it's what I do. ;)

Of the people I know, since you asked, my girlfriend's grandparents are waiting for crowds to die down, which hasn't happened yet clearly. Her godfather and his wife are waiting as well. They have all said in no uncertain terms they ARE going, just waiting. My dad is waiting. His personal chef (don't ask) is waiting, too. My best friend Florian is waiting and still hasn't seen it, even though he's a young guy who I would think would have been there. I'll probably go with him. My sister is seeing it with me next week. Her boyfriend hasn't seen it either.

Virtually everyone I know has a plan to see this movie, or has seen it, but the split at present is definitely no worse than 50-50, with half the people I know having plans to see it shortly but have not seen it yet. 

This.

The amount of people I've heard that are "waiting for the crowds to die down" almost rival the amount of people I know who have seen it. Add on the crazy repeats still occurring and you have a pretty healthy winter run coming for it.

• Like 3

Everything we sit around and bullshit about is just a theory until it happens, but I have a theory that TFA could hold stronger Weekend 3 to 4 than most movies would because of this "waiting for the crowds to die down" group. Almost everyone in this group who I know targets their "will see it" to be after the holidays. They all know it's a nightmare through January 3. If the film should drop 50% between Weekend 3 and 4, if this theory is right, it may drop more like 40%. Or better, who knows. Maybe some wait even further, middle January, end of January.

1 minute ago, solaris said:

This would have to start falling 50% weekly after the new year to miss $1bn. I think we're looking at $1.1bn at this stage.

not necessarily true. 

I have it falling 38% next week,

52% weekend 4

37% weekend 5

46% weekend 6

and 39% weekend 7

and it would sit at 937mil Feb 7, and is crawling at that point. It might finish with 960mil in this scenario. 

To me it all comes down to monday 28 DEC. In this model I have it dropping 40% (about 30mil monday), I think it can do better, and if it want to do 1 million this is where it can alter the model to show a 1 bil total. 

Just now, bladels said:

Disney will pull TFA out of theater if it try to flirt with $1b :ph34r:

Remember that $59,982 OW theater average :redcapes:

I'm guessing Disney will want to release the Bluray and DVD while the iron is hot, and won't care about losing some gross in the process.  As I recall, early video releases likely cost Frozen some money, particularly in Japan.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tokila said:

not necessarily true. 

I have it falling 38% next week,

52% weekend 4

37% weekend 5

46% weekend 6

and 39% weekend 7

and it would sit at 937mil Feb 7, and is crawling at that point. It might finish with 960mil in this scenario. 

To me it all comes down to monday 28 DEC. In this model I have it dropping 40% (about 30mil monday), I think it can do better, and if it want to do 1 million this is where it can alter the model to show a 1 bil total. 

I have it at around 33% drop over the next week. W/end 3 + wk 3 combining for about $150m. Based on around 48% weekly drops thereafter I have it finishing at $990m. I think it should be able to average better than this, particularly with MLK 2 weeks after that, Presidents Day 4 weeks later and a pretty empty marketplace.