#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

44 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

Well I didn't see that coming. Those of you hoping for 100M, really need a bump of at least 20% today which based on history, doesn't happen.

Football playoffs for CFB have an impact as does NFL week 17. Yesterday there were very good college bowl games on suppressing movie going audiences. 34m is a very good number.

100m doesnt look good but 95 is still possible.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Caesar said:

It's an easy sell because it's a true story about a self made success, those types of stories sell well, which is why it had a good OD (in fact after its OD many on here were declaring how big of a success it was and suggesting that it would do American Hustle numbers). The fact that the movie immediately began having worse holds than all of its comparable movies and has continued that pattern throughout its first week shows that it is the WOM reception of the movie that is problem.

I saw NO ONE on here declare that after OD.  All I remember was you saying it had bad WOM after one day of numbers.  You keep saying it's an easy sell, but go back and watch the trailer.  There's really nothing there about someone being a self made success. You point to that being the reason for a good OD while I would argue it's because it's the new Jennifer Lawrence movie.  I don't think WOM is great, but my viewing seemed to enjoy it.

Edited by RyneOh1040

6 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

I saw NO ONE on here declare that after OD.  All I remember was you saying it had bad WOM after one day of numbers.  You keep saying it's an easy sell, but go back and watch the trailer.  There's really nothing there about someone being a self made success. You point to that being the reason for a good OD while I would argue it's because it's the new Jennifer Lawrence movie.  I don't think WOM is great, but my viewing seemed to enjoy it.

I'm not talking about the trailer, I'm talking about the TV spots that were everywhere leading up to release. Maybe it was different in the US but in Australia this had a lot of promotion during prime time TV and all that promotion focused on the self made success story, as well as attempting to sell this as the holiday movie.

Weinstein:
The Hateful Eight        $16,700,000    262%    2,474    2374    $6,750      $30,037,963    
Carol                           $1,100,000        1%          0     -180          --         $4,899,748    

Universal:
Sisters                        $12,600,000     -11%    2,978       16    $4,231      $61,723,640    
Krampus                         $770,000     -65%       663     -505    $1,161      $42,248,325    

WB:
Point Break (2015)        $6,800,000      -31%    2,910         0    $2,337      $22,385,000    
Creed                           $3,900,000     -12%     1,375    -143    $2,836    $103,456,653    
In the Heart of the Sea     $710,000     -29%        533    -152    $1,332      $23,909,171    

Lionsgate:
HG Mockingjay 2           $4,700,000     -11%     1,485    -328    $3,165     $274,297,959    
Love the Coopers             $130,000     -13%        213      -32      $610       $26,184,718    
Sicario (2015)                    $55,000        2%          59      -13      $932       $46,825,889    

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

OT (my son is ranting....):

George R.R. Martin Confirms ‘Winds Of Winter’ Novel Won’t Be Ready Before ‘Game Of Thrones’ Season 6 Begins

I haven't read the books yet. Guess I don't have to worry about the show spoiling it for me.

'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Tops 'Titanic' In US, 'Harry Potter' Worldwide

With around $34.46 million on Friday, a drop of just 29% from last Friday, Star Wars: The Force Awakens has now earned $686.4 million in America, putting it past Jurassic World ($652.2m) and Titanic ($658.6m) to become the second-biggest grossing movie of all time in America.

Okay, to be fair, the only reason that this didn’t happen three years ago is because Titanic got a 2012 3D reissue which gave it another $58 million in America (and another $343m worldwide) without which The Avengers and Jurassic World would have passed it. Avatar is still the top domestic grosser of all time for a few more days, ...

... when The Force Awakens takes the crown on Monday, it will be the first time in eighteen years that a James Cameron movie isn’t the top film of all time in America, and the first time in forty years that the crown isn’t worn by a James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, or George Lucas picture...

..earned $35 million yesterday ... easily the record for a “day 15″ Friday. The previous such milestone was the $25m New Year’s Day gross of Avatar back in 2009 and aside from that there’s nothing that comes close (no, I’m not counting day 23 of American Sniper which earned $30m on its first day of wide release). The J.J. Abrams sci-fi sequel should snag around $95m for the weekend, which again trumps the previous best “weekend three” which was the $68m third frame for Avatar.  

It will cross $700 million today and should end the frame with around $745 million domestic, or about $15.5m away from the title. Its 38% drop is exceptional considering the size of the numbers, and it should still hold just strong enough next weekend to take the biggest fourth weekend as well (Avatar‘s $50m weekend four), but it’s falling at a (relatively slow) pace to suggest it won’t break the “weekend five” record, for what that’s worth. Again, its legs are better than Return of the King but not as strong as The Fellowship of the Ring or (obviously) Titanic and Avatar.

Now that the championship belt is a given, how far past $900 million it can go? January is insanely crowded, and Walt Disney has to eventually start prioritizing A Star Wars Story: The Finest Hours (that title change advice is free of charge, Disney!). When it (presumably) hits $910 million domestic, then it’ll be among the ten biggest movies of all time in America even when adjusted for inflation/tickets sold. That, by the way, is why I haven’t been harping too much on inflation over the last couple weeks. It might well be a moot point in the end anyway, so why obsess over it until it we get a final number? 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/01/02/star-wars-the-force-awakens-tops-titanic-in-us-harry-potter-worldwide/

• Like 4

That's a little better, giving something like:

36.8 (+6.5)
22 (-40)

93.3 (about -38)

1 billion is the target; though this doesn't help as much as that $100 mil weekend we were looking for, anything above American Sniper really helps keep that hope alive. 

With $90M-$94M Weekend, ‘Force Awakens’ Expected To Claim All-Time Domestic Crown On Monday

Saturday UPDATE, 7:59AM: As the second day of 2016 gets underway, Star Wars: The Force Awakens has easily claimed the No. 2 spot among all time domestic grossers. Industry guestimates have Episode VII adding another $34M or thereabouts today which will elevate J.J. Abrams’ contribution to the canon to about $721 million on its 16th day of release. If Sunday business as projected brings in $21M-$25M the 3-day/third weekend figure will be something like $90M-$94M.  By the end of business Sunday with a cume of $742M-$746M,  the latest Star Wars saga seems assured of surpassing Avatar‘s all time domestic record of $760.5M sometime Monday.....

http://deadline.com/2016/01/weekend-box-office-star-wars-force-awakens-hateful-eight-new-years-2016-1201674917/

• Like 3