#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

2 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

I doubt Ep8 makes 800. Its inevitable that it drops from this one.

It will drop, but it'll still make $750 million+

If Jurassic World and Avengers can do $600-$650 million in that time frame, I don't see how EP8 would miss it unless it's a bad movie. Considering the director and his ability plus the content and story I doubt it will be. 

8 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

LOL, 8 times is adorable :P I've seen TFA 10 times and am just getting started. I saw TPM 53 times in theaters (50 on first release), AOTC 54, and ROTS 24 times. Not saying 8 is bad, but that's child's play for a Star Wars fan. Ha ha. 

I hope you're a stock holder

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

LOL, 8 times is adorable :P I've seen TFA 10 times and am just getting started. I saw TPM 53 times in theaters (50 on first release), AOTC 54, and ROTS 24 times. Not saying 8 is bad, but that's child's play for a Star Wars fan. Ha ha. 

What.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

How is that even possible?

LOL, TPM was really easy, it was out May to January 2000. It was in theaters forever. I saw it consistently over that whole period. 

AOTC was a lot harder because it was in theaters for much less time, I don't recall how long, but not much beyond that summer. It was also a challenge because that year, I saw 141 of the top 150 highest grossing movies in theaters (and quite a few more than that). I had 252 theatrical viewings of movies (54 AOTC) in 2002 while running a critical review site, so sometimes I'd go see another movie then also go see AOTC the same day. There was one day I saw AOTC 4 times, though, the 1, 4, 7, and 10 showings. Phew, that was a tough day actually. It was like a marathon lol.

Now I see TFA every few days. I'll probably see it Tuesday and Wednesday, definitely Saturday for my 4th and final Regal IMAX special ticket, and maybe Sunday with my girlfriend's mom and her boyfriend and stuff. As long as TFA sticks around I think 25-30 showings should be easy.

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Btw....13 Hours looks pretty frikkin good.

I knew you were a believer. 13 Hours is gonna take over the box office on January 15. 

• Like 1

yeah I never hit 50 times for a movie, I know I have hit 20 or more before and a lot between 10 and that.  But yeah 50 is something I couldn't even fathom doing, even though I have seen some movies a lot more than that on tv or home video :P 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

$800M will be a considerable drop from this one.  

The thing is, unlike the drop from TPM to AOTC, TFA is extremely well received.

I'm not really sure what that means for the domestic haul, but it surely can't mean bad things.

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

All of those at the time except Abadar had mixed WOM.  Plus, BOM is even saying rival studios are expecting 91m+ weekend.

The Blind Side had mixed WOM? :unsure:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 75live said:

yeah I never hit 50 times for a movie, I know I have hit 20 or more before and a lot between 10 and that.  But yeah 50 is something I couldn't even fathom doing, even though I have seen some movies a lot more than that on tv or home video :P 

I maxed out at 6 with ROTK.

I'm at 5 with TFA...I'll probably get to 6, but not more than that.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

My biggest concern with 13 Hours is whether or not it turns out like Black Hawk Down where there's little to no characterization and mostly action. Knowing Bay that's probably the case.

All I want are Bayplosions :sarah: 

19 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

So you think it will drop more than AOTC dropped from TPM?

I guess it depends on how much it ends up making. If it goes over 950, but not 1b, I see EP8 hitting 800m. If it makes it to 1b then I see at least 850. 

2 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

so youre spending $1000 on theater viewings of star wars films? Thats a little insane.

TPM wasn't bad, I had actually added it up and have that Word document somewhere with showings and prices, and I think it was $250. It averaged just $5 per showing. What really helped that is the last 10, though. I saw it 10 times at a discount theater here where tickets are $2. One night, I went there to see it twice, and the manager said, "Didn't I just see you here last night?!" I said, "Yup." He said to the ticket seller, "This man isn't paying for these tickets. It's on us tonight," and he comped them both, then when I got inside he said, "Anything you want to eat or drink? It's on me today. Thanks for coming!" It was awesome. I didn't want to take advantage but I did get a drink ha ha. So $16 for the last 10 viewings, or less than what I pay now for one IMAX ticket.

I am sure with TFA the total will be more like $600 or $700 because I'm mainly seeing it in IMAX and my marathon ticket alone was $50, plus I bought the girlfriend's marathon ticket. I don't care, though, that's not a substantial amount of money for me compared to the experience of a Star Wars movie in theaters. It's solid money, sure, but I've been anticipating this for years. I have spent at least $50,000 on my Star Wars collection if not $65,000 or so, a few hundred bucks actually watching the movies is nothing compared to that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

One night, I went there to see it twice, and the manager said, "Didn't I just see you here last night?!" I said, "Yup." He said to the ticket seller, "This man isn't paying for these tickets. It's on us tonight," and he comped them both, then when I got inside he said, "Anything you want to eat or drink? It's on me today. Thanks for coming!" It was awesome. I didn't want to take advantage but I did get a drink ha ha. So $16 for the last 10 viewings, or less than what I pay now for one IMAX ticket.

Smart business man, he wanted to make sure your next 22 trillion viewings of TPM were in his cinema.

• Like 5