druv10

8M TFA Rth Monday number!!! SW7 has surpassed TA1 & F7 for 4th alltime WW!!!

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

I'm guessing he's doing it due to 7pm-10pm previews but you guys are saying for previous movies that fit that criteria he isn't? Haven't most of the previous blockbusters on the all time list from the past decade just had midnight showings? 

Yes, but 9pm and 10pm shows have been common for years now, and he wasn't saying "this film grossed x amount in 7.25 days". Not to mention, 7pm shows is not half a day. It's .291 days. So again, it comes off as him being butthurt or something that it grossed so much for previews. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

It's also especially likely in my opinion that TFA gets a Best Picture nomination...

Mmmmm, maybe. On the other hand, it didn't get a PGA nom (just announced), and if anything they're traditionally more populist than the Oscars (they gave TREK 09 a nod, for example). SW can still get in, of course, but it just got a little less likely.

12 minutes ago, druv10 Maul said:

There's always debate. He didn't face specialize pitching or blacks, hispanics or Japanese players. He wasn't a great defensive player or stole a lot of bases. Honestly Ted Williams can easily be argued as better offensive player and as much as I hate to say it, Bonds put the fear of god when he came to the plate.

Defense lacked.  But he was a top pitcher too. 

Offense, Ted comes close. 8th all time batting right behind teds average but better slugging percentage for ruth. No one comes close to those two.

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

I'm guessing he's doing it due to 7pm-10pm previews but you guys are saying for previous movies that fit that criteria he isn't? Haven't most of the previous blockbusters on the all time list from the past decade just had midnight showings? 

I've actually seen him do the .5 day thing before. Can't remember which movie(s) but he definitely has, although he should do it for every film that has Thursday previews. I don't mind it, since it is #5ExtraHours. But for TFA, it likely would have still broken Potter's midnights record had it been released at 12am, and probably would have had a very similar OW total to the one it got. People could get the wrong idea that the OW grosses for these films would change that drastically had they released at midnight as opposed to 7pm.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, terrestrial said:
11 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Not into comedy (or even worse: romance, slapstic,...), but thank you for the suggestion

Sorry for going OT one last (?) time but I can't let this slide. ;o) "The Babe" is NOT a comedy. It is one of Goodman's rare "serious" movies. A Biopic / Sports movie to be exact.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, misterchief81 said:

Yes, but 9pm and 10pm shows have been common for years now, and he wasn't saying "this film grossed x amount in 7.25 days". Not to mention, 7pm shows is not half a day. It's .291 days. So again, it comes off as him being butthurt or something that it grossed so much for previews. 

The butthurt terminology seems as silly as him using .5 days. I get the point.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Mmmmm, maybe. On the other hand, it didn't get a PGA nom (just announced), and if anything they're traditionally more populist than the Oscars (they gave TREK 09 a nod, for example). SW can still get in, of course, but it just got a little less likely.

If SW doesn't get a best pic nomination, then I can actual see it backfiring with lower ratings for the academy awards. <_<

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It would be a smart ratings move, I was really angry when TDK didn't get the nod although I'm pretty sure that was the reason they expanded to 10 movies.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Defense lacked.  But he was a top pitcher too. 

Offense, Ted comes close. 8th all time batting right behind teds average but better slugging percentage for ruth. No one comes close to those two.

Willie Mays was the ultimate 5-tool player and nobody can forget the Barry "Giant-head" Bonds. I've never seen so much fear for a single player in my lifetime. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

If SW doesn't get a best pic nomination, then I can actual see it backfiring with lower ratings for the academy awards. <_<

That's never stopped them before. :lol: And honestly (assuming their BP list is similar to the PGAs), MAD MAX, THE MARTIAN, and COMPTON are all fairly solid hits. It's not like everything on the list is snooty art fare (for better or worse).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Fun pro-Bonds factoid: Barry Bonds was *intentionally* walked more times during his career, than Albert Belle or Jim Rice had *total* walks in their careers.

I know I may be unpopular with this comment, but Bonds is the greatest hitter I've ever seen in my lifetime.  My memory of sports begins about 30 years ago.

I have never seen somebody that was pitched around so much and was so patient.  He often times got 1 pitch PER GAME to hit, and when he got it, he launched. Steroids asidem he was incredible from a pure skill standpoint.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

One can debate as an offensive player but not when there also these stats

Pitching

W/L record: 94-46
ERA: 2.28

So true.  This is the argument that puts Ruth over the top as the greatest ever.  His hitting stats are arguably second to none.  But then when you add in for a stretch he was one of the best pitchers in the game?  Game, set, match.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I could easily make an argument for Willy Mays as the greatest player of all time. The ultimate 5 tool player.

Great defense and power with speed. Gotta to bat higher than 302 though

15 minutes ago, druv10 Maul said:

Yep that's why I put "potential". It can easily be argued with Willie Mays, Aaron, and Ted Williams.

This has turned into GWTW vs  SW  Vs avatar lol

19 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It was rhetorical! :rofl: I was just illustrating how pointless it is to try and make a definitive declaration about such generational players/movies. The playing field was so different that you can't possible equalize them in a way to make a perfect, objective comparison. The best you can do is compare them to their contemporaries and call them the best of their era.

The point you made is people like to argue and break balls. That's why forums exist, as well as soap operas, reality shows and springer.

:bash:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dark 33Legend of the Sith said:

I know I may be unpopular with this comment, but Bonds is the greatest hitter I've ever seen in my lifetime.  My memory of sports begins about 30 years ago.

I have never seen somebody that was pitched around so much and was so patient.  He often times got 1 pitch PER GAME to hit, and when he got it, he launched. Steroids asidem he was incredible from a pure skill standpoint.

Offensively, he steroid peak was greater than either Ruth or Williams and they're generally considered top 2 hitters of all-time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, druv10 Maul said:

Offensively, he steroid peak was greater than either Ruth or Williams and they're generally considered top 2 hitters of all-time. 

If steroids were off the table, IMO it would be him and Ruth for greatest of all time.  The guys numbers in the early 2000's were like TFA opening weekend. lol

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

It's also especially likely in my opinion that TFA gets a Best Picture nomination given it just got nominated by ACE and by the Art Director's guild, and BP is voted by all Academy members. Not to mention look at the reviews for Avatar. 83%? Titanic is at 88%? I see TFA just fell another percent (what idiot did that...), but it's still at 93%, which is a very good mark compared to some of these other big blockbusters that got nominated. I think a Best Picture nomination is highly likely. How much that affects the box office, who knows, but there are people who avoid non-awards fare, which is hilarious as I mostly avoid anything that is going to get awards attention as 75% of it is terrible, but those people who don't want to miss out on any of the awards nominees will see it.

That would be The New Yorker's Richard Brody. But, whatever, blockbuster's in the 90+ range always drop on RT. Happened to Disney's other space western/opera not long ago when Guardians had a mid-90s percentage and then dipped to it's current 91%.