druv10

8M TFA Rth Monday number!!! SW7 has surpassed TA1 & F7 for 4th alltime WW!!!

13 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Imma be real: Anybody who thinks TFA is getting a Picture nomination is outta their goddamn minds. 

Well if Toy Story 3 could pull it off, why shouldn't The Force Awakens be able to pull it off too? If it clicks with enough academy members... who knows. I mean, we're talking about it being nominated not walking away with the statue.

6 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

In regards to The Force Awakens potentially receiving a Best Pic nom at the Oscars, I think it's chances are pretty slim at this point. Speaking as an Oscar/awards nerd and follower, The Force Awakens didn't get a PGA nomination, which is a big hit against its chances as the PGA is arguably the most important precursor. If any group is likely to recognize big blockbusters like The Force Awakens, it's the PGA. So I'm pretty doubtful of it's chances at this point. 

I'm not sure it would matter in terms of it's box office anyway, as the film has had an exceptional run so far.

Peace,

Mike

Thanks Mike.

16 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Imma be real: Anybody who thinks TFA is getting a Picture nomination is outta their goddamn minds. 

In any other year, maybe (a BIG maybe) the Academy would look to TFA to fill the blockbuster slot that they occasionally like to let in. This year though both Mad Max & The Martian comfortably fill that niche so no look in for TFA. I honestly think Inside Out has more chance of taking a surprise blockbuster slot than TFA.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

It only made 20m from the re-release anyway, that's less than 1% of it's total.

On another note, here is a graph I made.

we8F6rYfxwivAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Uh... You think this coming Saturday isn't going to be any bigger than Monday?

Seriously, even as a conservative prediction, it should do something like 11/18/11 this weekend. Getting under $40m is unlikely.

5 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

Well if Toy Story 3 could pull it off, why shouldn't The Force Awakens be able to pull it off too? If it clicks with enough academy members... who knows. I mean, we're talking about it being nominated not walking away with the statue.

Well, Toy Story 3 was a far superior film that I'm sure had a far greater emotional impact on voters. Also, 2010 was a definite 10 nominees. That gave it a much better shot at a nomination. They didn't go to the current nomination system until the year after. 

Edited by RichWS

Just now, DamienRoc said:

Uh... You think this coming Saturday isn't going to be any bigger than Monday?

Seriously, even as a conservative prediction, it should do something like 11/18/11 this weekend. Getting under $40m is unlikely.

I looked through 1000s of data modules and conluded that sws crumbled, seriously though the green line is a joke.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

So TFA did 80% more OS than domestic yesterday. Is that a trend that holds for the weekdays or was yesterday an "international market" kind of thing (similar to how Christmas day was 40% bigger here that OS)?

Saudi Arabia and Iran had a showdown yesterday when the Saudi King told the Iranian president that only filthy Iranians preferred the prequels to the OT.  The Iranian president replied that only dirty Saudis would love the OT because they were a bunch of Gungans and they hate sand because it's coarse, rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.   Then a bunch of other middle eastern Arab nation jumped in by showing their support to the Saudis with Twitter taglines like #BobaFettBestBountyHunter (Bahrein), #HanShotFirst (Egypt) and #EwoksRules!!! (Kuweit) while some others backed the Iranian regime with #JarJarLives (Syria), #HaydenForceGhost4Ever (Iraq) and #Oder66BestTerroristCampaign (Hezzbollah).

To calm everyone down, Disney issued a challenge to all Arab nations to go out on Monday to watch TFA and rank it on their movie boards to see how it compares against the OT and the prequels.  You can see some of the rankings on the following movie boards :

www.ISISmovieboards.com

www.SaudislovetheOT.com

www.Iranstandswiththeprequels.com

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RascarCapat said:

I can't wait for China to open. I know most predictions say that it is not going to be a huge hit there but I still want to see the numbers.

Yes. Day 2 and 3. You can see WOM explode there. A local movie opened to $5m and increased 10%+ daily  for 7 days over holiday while all other movies dropped. They were expecting $50m total and it did over 200m.  San Andreas OD was small and cleared 100m. JW opened to half of AOU but nearly matched it's 240m total.  

It's all about action. How is the action in SW7 vs FF7, AOU, TF4, JW. Quantity can be more important than quality. Is it fast paced throughout? 

Edited by No Prisoners

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I looked through 1000s of data modules and conluded that sws crumbled, seriously though the green line is a joke.

It's really hard to tell on these boards, especially from people who are super invested in one franchise or another.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

It's all about action. How is the action in SW7 vs FF7, AOU, TF4, JW. Quantity can be more important than quality. Is it fast paced throughout? 

By and large, it's probably better paced than all of those (well, I can't speak for TF4). There's no gargantuan action sequence that goes on for a really long time, but the pace is snappy, there's consistent action without a lot of scenes with only talking, and it builds up to a reasonably big conclusion (in terms of scale). The lack of familiarity with A NEW HOPE might actually benefit the movie, to some degree.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Well, Toy Story 3 was a far superior film that I'm sure had a far greater emotional impact on voters. Also, 2010 was a definite 10 nominees. That gave it a much better shot at a nomination. They didn't go to the current nomination system until the year after. 

Indeed. The current nomination system also involves each Academy member individually nominating only 5 films for Best Picture, rather than 10 - thus, The Force Awakens would have to crack a lot of members' top 5 (and be #1 on enough ballots) in order to have a chance of being nominated. That seems to make The Force Awakens' chances even slimmer.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

By and large, it's probably better paced than all of those (well, I can't speak for TF4). There's no gargantuan action sequence that goes on for a really long time, but the pace is snappy, there's consistent action without a lot of scenes with only talking, and it builds up to a reasonably big conclusion (in terms of scale). The lack of familiarity with A NEW HOPE might actually benefit the movie, to some degree.

I think otherwise, that the lack of familiarity with Han and Luke make the story and emotional beats harder to land for the uninitiated. (I've read a few comments on duoban, a Chinese movie aggregate site, saying to this effect.) So a fair few in the mainland would feel this way too. Anyway, the WOM there could be different once it opens and the locals take to it. 

Edited by FranMan
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, #ED said:

When will this billion dollar talk stop? Do we need a 4M Weds? I'd  be for it.

That's what's great right now. Each day the numbers are right at that level. A little under or over projected out. Makes it exciting. If it was definitely over or under the threads die. I see a lot of colored names. It's raised a lot of money. I've donated money for a contest.  Why would you want this to be over?

Shall we move on to Revenant doing 30m this weekend and will probably lose money?

• Like 3

Just now, No Prisoners said:

That's what's great right now. Each day the numbers are right at that level. A little under or over projected out. Makes it exciting. If it was definitely over or under the threads die. I see a lot of colored names. It's raised a lot of money. I've donated money for a contest.  Why would you want this to be over?

Sounds like a telethon for a muscular disease. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Don't they nominate 10 these days?  If so, why not?

No, they nominate at least five and up to ten. But each member only nominates five, so TFA would need to be in many people's top 5, or a small group's #1 choice, to get in.

The PGA nominates ten and each member also nominates ten, so it's a bit looser.

• Like 1