WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

10 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

On the topic of JOY (which I hated)..i guess these numbers are actually bad

Not sure how that reflects on JLAW's star power

Most people have said she is the only good thing about the movie. 

Just now, tribefan695 said:

Wow, Joy really did crumble. Funny how "breakout" appeared to be the narrative when it first opened

I'm not surprised since the movie itself is a disjointed mess that doesn't fit into any particular genre (it's neither much of a comedy or much of a drama).

37 minutes ago, a2knet said:

It's a fairly recent dream though, not worth being disappointed over :). 600m was the dream before the release. Then when the ow happened 800m. Then 900m. Then > than Avatar by 200m. 1b is like 5 levels of inception!

Yeah, going to get at least a 3.75 multiplier after a gigantic opening that included a crazy preview total. Amazing run regardless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stuart360 said:

Sinister?, the sterile 'painting by numbers' remake of Poltergeist but without any of what made that film good.

50 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Sinister is an ok film but its an unofficial remake of Poltergeist and when compared to that film, it comes up waaay short.

Okay, I've only seen Sinister once, but I don't see where in the hell you're getting the Poltergeist vibe from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stuart360 said:

Star Wars comes back down to earth with a bang.

When so many records have been slaughtered in such a short amount of time, fatigue will eventually start to kick in. 

And SW7 still has a good chance to win its fourth weekend. Wouldn't mind seeing The Revenant win the weekend though, really liked the movie.

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, the Christmas break always allows for multiple movies to flourish even when one movie is completely dominating over everything else.

Yeah but I am not commenting on whether or how Star Wars affected these films as a competition.  Regardless of competition so many movies simply don't break out in such a short span anymore. Similarly so many movies don't underperform and flop, one after one, continuously and in such a short span. Whats more these two phases followed each other with no intermediate normal phase in between. While it can be said that a particularly dull period may have led to a particularly bustling period later on to average it out, that doesn't seem to be a rightful explanation here. There has to be an explanation for both phases and something that led from one phase to another. Star Wars effect can explain both the phases. Moreover what connected these phases or transited the marketplace from one  to the other? Star Wars. Plus it is a big enough movie, if there ever was any, to have such an effect. All things thus seem to point in that direction in my opinion.

• Like 2