WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

4 minutes ago, philippe08 said:

You compare what is incomparable. Since Episode III, the number of cinemas has exploded in China.

Aehm, he is fully aware of that. He gives a lot of Chinese market details at the China Forum here at BOT (and lives there, has contacts to industry, is the mod there,...)

My impression:

SW 7 is planed to be a seed there, for a lot of potential growing for future movies, the soon opening Disneyland there (that includes a Star Wars area).

Not to get the max. out of one movie, but to prepare the way for the whole franchise.

• Like 1

Just now, The Stingray said:

People really expected Avatar drops on weekend #4? Come on, y'all.

No...? I just think most of us expected 50% to be about as bad as it would get. That could still happen, but under $40M would be pretty.. surprising. Especially given that anecdotally I know tons of people who haven't seen it who are seeing it this weekend. I'm going with some of them tomorrow even. It's almost like the holidays ended and the box office just died. I think that may be the modern event film. It will make its money very quickly and after that... who knows?

I'm happy we beat Avatar, so it's not a big deal, but as someone who wants to see this movie about 30 times total, yeah, I want it to stick in theaters for a long time. So I'm hoping if it does fall hard this weekend, it can stabilize afterwards and fall much smaller in the weeks to come. That would still be very good.

SW pulled in folks from all quadrants in mega-huge numbers right from the previews, and maintained that throughout the holidays. Imagine how much repeat-viewing demand has been burnt-off already. It's gonna be 800m+ in just 4 weekends. So a larger than expected correction in the 1st post-holiday weekend is more than normal.

InsideKino.com = a German BO website, that I think is rather very good, has this to say:

Und auch aus China gibt es einen Trend zu vermelden. Dort steuert SW7 auf einen Starttag von $30-$35 Mio. hin, was wiederum auf ein Endergebnis zwischen $150-$210 Mio. schließen lässt.

And also out of China is a trend to report. There SW 7 aims for an OD of $30-35m, ... = ~ a final of $150m-$210m can be concluded out of that

edit: missed that one: The Forest Friday ~ $4.5m

Den aktuellen Trends nach holt sich The Revenant mit etwas über $14 Mio. die Nr. 1-Position am Freitag und kämpft mit Star Wars - Das Erwachen der Macht (ca. $10,75 Mio.) um die Spitzenposition am Wochenende.

According to actual trends The Revenent gets the #1 position on Friday with a bit over $14m and fights with SW 7 (~ $10.75m) over the weekend's lead

http://www.insidekino.com/News.htm

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, GuardianDevil said:

The Force Awakens will break a billion. 

It may take until the end of May,but it will happen .

This isn't  Avatar,RotK,Avengers,Titanic or anything else. It's in uncharted territory. 

Now, we´re talkin :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Let The REVENANT take the #1 Spot this weekend.. STAR WARS has been on top for 3 weeks, has made over 800M Domestic ... What more do we need at this point???

Did I ever say something else?

I wouldn't even be disappointed if it didn't reach $900m, but hope for it for the nice looking number

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Saturday will be huge for Star Wars. I'm pretty sure of that. 

But Revenant - I'm thrilled it's opened this big. 

Titanic : -14% week-end 4

Hobbit 1 and 2 : -47%

SW7 = -52 - 54%

Next week, it will make less the fifth weekend of Titanic.

SW7 has exhausted its quota of spectators and this is normal. He's gone so fast and so high.

6 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Did I ever say something else?

I wouldn't even be disappointed if it didn't reach $900m, but hope for it for the nice looking number

I want that adjusted Top 10 spot...I'm sure it can get to $920m.

1 hour ago, Giesi said:

I understand, but me personally? Do not care really for all theese (highly differing anyway) adjusted numbers.

I do look into inflation,.. too, but do compare it to the decade's lifestyle, possibilities,... prices/earnings in general and not like so many do it here

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Giesi said:

I want to take down The Exorcist for number 9 on the all-time domestic adjusted list. $953M would do it. I am being extremely greedy but greed is good.

• Like 1