WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

Just now, Daxtreme said:

The $1B dream isn't fully dead yet, here's why:

Before the week-end, TFA would end up with 1.04 B total domestic with ROTK legs. ROTK dropped 49,6% on its 4th week-end. Now, TFA dropped more, obviously, but not that much, and as long as it comes back next week-end, 1B is still possible.

Though it's like a 10% chance right now...

Agreed. Now granted, movies don't play as long anymore as ROTK, but the big ones do tend to get re-expansions (JW's inflated its gross by 10m). As I said, 43 and a -52% hold or so is what I want to see to put some real hope in 1b again. 

TOP WEEKENDS: 4TH

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Weeknd
Gross*
% of Total Theaters / Avg. Total Gross^ Date**
1 Avatar Fox $50,306,217 6.7% 3,422 $14,701 $749,766,139 12/18/09
2 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $41,630,000 5.1% 4,134 $10,070 $812,011,043 12/18/15
3 Marvel's The Avengers BV $36,686,871 5.9% 3,918 $9,364 $623,357,910 5/4/12
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, philippe08 said:

It's not good,-47% Thanks to China

France : -65%

Italia : -70%

Throughout Europe from -60 to -70%

In addition to the other answering posts:

Italia has an extreme local record breaking blockbuster, in several European regions it is the first weekend either before of after back to school (as in Thursday 1st school day). Here the stores were full of people re-stocking groceries, a lot were away during the holidays (6 December = Three Holy Kings being the last of the public holidays).

Throughout = meant as average? Or all countries?

All Countries would be wrong, e.g. Germany has something between -40% and -50%, I didn't check the average

Edited by terrestrial

11 minutes ago, philippe08 said:

France BO:

Last weekend: $12.22m ($66.56m total)

Up to Jan 5: $67.84m

Up to Jan 10: $76m (according to ERC)

This weekend: $8.16m (-33.22%)

Don't know where the -65% came from.

• Like 3

Just now, tyrannyreborn said:

France BO:

Last weekend: $12.22m ($66.56m total)

Up to Jan 5: $67.84m

Up to Jan 10: $76m (according to ERC)

This weekend: $8.16m (-33.22%)

He made it up. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, tyrannyreborn said:

I am guessing a he based on the user name, seems to be, since he arrived here at 3 January, a bit... pessimistic about all SW 7 connected. ;)

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

I realized the Oscar nominations have not come out yet but what do you guys think is the frontrunner for Best Picture this year?

Spotlight but The Big Short is hot right now and Fury Road dark horse with very possible best director for Miller.

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Spotlight but The Big Short is hot right now and Fury Road dark horse with very possible best director for Miller.

But this is all opinion and did anyone think SIL would win?  Nope.  Did anyone think the Artist or Chicago would win?  Or the Reader would be nominated?

Nope.

Weinsteins rule!

27 minutes ago, philippe08 said:

What are you talking about? With China it increased from last weekend.

I dont think from 96m to 47-48m this weekend is a bad hold,it just drop 50% and it's better than i expect, it hold well in the rest of the market actually since SK,italy and some part of the major market are giving the collapsing type of dropping,  it means the rest of the country do very well then only would limiting the drop to just 50%

Just now, Baumer said:

But this is all opinion and did anyone think SIL would win?  Nope.  Did anyone think the Artist or Chicago would win?  Or the Reader would be nominated?

Nope.

Weinsteins rule!

Both The Artist and Chicago (the latter especially as it had everything going for it) were the clear frontrunners that year and it would've been more shocking if either film had not won. Shakespeare in Love winning over Saving Private Ryan was definitely a surprise, though.

Carol might be nominated, but it has as much of a shot at winning Best Picture as Jurassic World does (and we all know that movie won't even be nominated).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I dont think from 96m to 47-48m this weekend is a bad hold,it just drop 50% and it's better than i expect, it hold well in the rest of the market actually since SK,italy and some part of the major market are giving the collapsing type of dropping,  it means the rest of the country do very well then only would limiting the drop to just 50%

I try to understand your posts, but either the numbers are off or I do not understand it right. I know I do not  understand it completly

• Like 1