terrestrial

Thursday early est. SW 7 $5.97m = $770.38m | DH 1.48 | H8 1.29 | Sisters 1.1

http://deadline.com/2016/01/the-revenant-star-wars-the-force-awakens-weekend-box-office-1201678383/

Meanwhile in early AM estimates, Disney’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens stands at $770.4M, with industry projections seeing the J.J. Abrams crossing the $800M mark stateside on Saturday.

Out of the

‘The Revenant’ Raises $2.3M In Thursday Previews – Box Office

article of DL = that number is in the newly created weekend thread

(by WrathOfHan)

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So it is basically at the same gross as Avatar's Thursday heading into the weekend. Will be interesting to see what happens this weekend. Beating Avatar's 4th weekend will be pretty tough. 

Avatar had a 26.6% (!) drop its 4th weekend to hit 50+.

TFA only need ~43%... very doable in my opinion since TFA should be playing as a family movie and it's weekdays were better then I expected.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AndyLL said:

Avatar had a 26.6% (!) drop its 4th weekend to hit 50+.

TFA only need ~43%... very doable in my opinion since TFA should be playing as a family movie and it's weekdays were better then I expected.

The only caveat there though is that it has to have just as good of holds as Avatar this weekend to make that much, and TFA has yet to do that. Its Friday holds have been significantly worse thus far. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The only caveat there though is that it has to have just as good of holds as Avatar this weekend to make that much, and TFA has yet to do that. Its Friday holds have been significantly worse thus far. 

to be fair it's hard to have good Friday jumps when your Thursdays so far are $27.4m and $22.9m

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So it is basically at the same gross as Avatar's Thursday heading into the weekend. Will be interesting to see what happens this weekend. Beating Avatar's 4th weekend will be pretty tough. 

Yea, um, not happening. $45ish. Maybe $48m.

If this does over 50m, chances for 1B will remain good.

Anything below 48m, and it will be in trouble.

Below 45m, and 1B is dead!

Roughly I see:

FRI 13m (+120%)

SAT 22m (+70%)

SUN 14m (-35%)

Also, ROTK dropped 50% on its 4th week-end, like I said in the other thread, and then went on to have great legs. If Star Wars mirrors that, $1 B is still possible.

But a more than 50% drop effectively kills $1B as far as I'm concerned, unless Disney does something about it.