terrestrial

Thursday early est. SW 7 $5.97m = $770.38m | DH 1.48 | H8 1.29 | Sisters 1.1

Box Office: 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' to March Past 'Jurassic World' Globally By Weekend's End

Sometime this weekend, Force Awakens will march past the $1.669 billion grossed worldwide by Jurassic World to become the No. 3 title of all time behind ....

Force Awakens grossed roughly $6 million on Thursday for a domestic total of $770 million (the $0.4m is missing). Updated international numbers weren't immediately available...

...Force Awakens will easily stay No. 1 in its fourth weekend as it rockets past the $800 million mark.

the rest of the article might be better suited for the weekend thread (~ weekend details/est....)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-star-wars-force-853170

• Like 1

The film earned another estimated $6m on Thursday on top of the $6m it earned on Wednesday and the $8m that it earned on Monday and on Tuesday. So yeah, it’s starting to play like a regular blockbuster, with no real presumption of Avatar/Titanic legs. At this point, unless it scores a surprise Best Picture Oscar nomination next Thursday (or even more surprising, a nod for Harrison Ford), it’s going to start winding down in the face of A) having met the demand in record time and B) a deluge of new movies opening and sucking up screens. And for the record, that’s okay. We’re still talking about the biggest grosser of all time, so let’s not shed too many tears if it has to crawl to $950m

Offhand, the fourth weekend is probably going to be somewhere between $42 million and $50m, or either tied for Avatar‘s fourth weekend or about what Avatar did on its fifth weekend. Either way, it will likely pass $800m domestic on Saturday and end the frame with around $820m domestic. To be fair, Avatar didn’t face any real competition until its fifth weekend, ....

out of the latest Forbes article (yeah, it's from Mendelson)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/01/08/star-wars-the-force-awakens-box-office-770m-in-3-weeks-with-china-on-tap-for-tomorrow/

DVD release for TFA is April 5. That was announced a while ago. That is why the models i am using go to 3/31. Anything after that is pure gravy if they decide to let it run. it feels like it may be released on DVD before it hits second run theaters.

if the 6M holds that is a great number and improves the chances for $1B.

6M gives my midline model a 45.7M est for this weekend and a total take of 998.2M on 3/31.

That model has been fluctuating anywhere from 969 to 1,031M over the last week or so depending upon the dailies. 

TFA held roughly 99% of Avatar's weekdays this week.

as of today TFA would need to maintain just under 64% of Avatar's take through 3/31 to get to 1B by that date. Avatar made 360M from today to April 1, 2010 (same day as March 31, 2016 due to leap year this year), TFA needs 230M to get to 1B. (if it holds 50% of Avatar's gross now through 3/31 it makes it to 950M, 60% would be 986M).

Star Wars: The Force Awakens $6,000,000 -3% 4,134 0 $1,451 $770,408,684  

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS took in an estimated $6.0M on Thursday and has grossed $770.4M to date domestically.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

If it doesn't, Kal will find a way to come back and gloat about it.. :P

Oh don't worry, he'll do that regardless when it inevitably falls below one of Avatar's weekends, even if it were like the 7th weekend or something. :lol:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Darth Dexter of Hoth said:

I hope TFA can take Avatar's 4th weekend record.

I think it'll do about $51.5 million or so. This will be the last weekend it has a chance to take one of Avatar's weekend records before it goes into the 30's next weekened (Avatar did $42 million).

Just now, VenomXXR said:

I think it'll do about $51.5 million or so. This will be the last weekend it has a chance to take one of Avatar's weekend records before it goes into the 30's next weekened (Avatar did $42 million).

I think it would need about 54 this weekend to have any shot at beating Avatar next weekend. I do think it will have an extremely good hold next weekend, but it won't be sub 15% like Avatar. Maybe -20%. 

32 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

" With the exception of the Batman franchise, most would-be modern mega-franchises do a lot more of their business overseas than they do in America. What that means is that in the end one might draw the conclusion that The Force Awakens is merely a normal top-tier franchise blockbuster that just over-performed in America due to the fact that Star Wars has always been something of an American folktale. But that’s a conversation for another day. "

lol.

Its going to earn 1.2-1.3 bil over seas and its "just normal top tier franchise that over performed in America"

what will he come up with next. I am hoping for "It did not pass Avatar WW so TFA's DOM records are irrelevant" 

what a hack. 

• Like 1