CJohn

THE GOLDEN GLOBES 2016 | Discuss It Live Here!

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I like Leo a lot. I didn't think this performance was particularly amazing. The movie itself is very pretty and cool to look at it, but I felt it was completely vapid and empty. 

The Reader was far from Kate Winslet's best work as well, people don't vote for specific films a lot of the time. They vote for the people behind the characters. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I like Leo a lot. I didn't think this performance was particularly amazing. The movie itself is very pretty and cool to look at it, but I felt it was completely vapid and empty, and it's something I've been souring on ever since I saw it a couple months ago. 

A post worthy of an award. But not a Golden Globe, that would be beneath it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Impact said:

Okay the following BP winners did not win a single Globe:
Casablanca

Midnight Cowboy

The Godfather Part II

Crash

The Hurt Locker

Crash and Hurt Locker are fairly recent.  A good chance The Big Short can still win.  

But The Martian might actually win BP... *Gag*

Why are you guys saying that best Drama award at the GG doesn't matter? These are real awards people and it's the 2nd most important award show after the Oscars.

Don't belittle the golden globes. It's not the oscars, but these filmmakers and actors work hard for such awards.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kevin Bacon said:

So I guess I missed something so when did everybody start hating the shit out of Leo? Never seen this much vitriol spit at one of his movies before, especially one that's racking up awards (though I haven't seen the movie so maybe it sucks or he sleepwalked through it and that's why). 

I like Leo, I just liked laughing at his awards misery. He ate raw bison already, what's a little more punishment?

Just now, #ED said:

Why are you guys saying that best Drama award at the GG doesn't matter? These are real awards people and it's the 2nd most important award show after the Oscars.

Don't belittle the golden globes. It's not the oscars, but these filmmakers and actors work hard for such awards.

The Globes have never been as important in determining the BP winner as the likes of say the PGA or DGA. Even SAG can be more indicative sometimes. 

• Like 3

As far as box office is concerned, I think The Revenant comes off as the clear winner tonight to the general audience, and it just opened (really well too), so I expect the film to ride this wave into a good second week/run at the box office.

It's a shame that Spotlight or The Big Short didn't get any acknowledgement to boost their profiles and get more people to see those movies in theatres - both really good.

What else will benefit? The Martian is pretty much done at the box office, but is still in a few hundred theatres so it may get a little uptick. Steve Jobs, if it were still around, could have potentially gotten an uptick, but it's done as far as I know. A little bit of visibility for Room with Brie Larson's win, perhaps will help!

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

Just now, #ED said:

They don't matter even close to PGA/DGA in deciding BP winner, people can belittle them all they want. It's a difference of opinion.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

The Globes have never been as important in determining the BP winner as the likes of say the PGA or DGA. Even SAG can be more indicative sometimes. 

Right, but no one ever says "winner of the SAG ___". 

If if they didn't win an Oscar, the only awards mentioned if any are GGs.

Just now, #ED said:

Don't belittle the golden globes.

The Globes may (or may not) have impact in the Oscar race, but they're pretty silly overall and have been for decades. You realize it's just 120 foreign press-credentialed entertainment journalists right? Ones that really enjoy the spotlight and getting to glad-hand celebs. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

The Reader was far from Kate Winslet's best work as well, people don't vote for specific films a lot of the time. They vote for the people behind the characters. 

Yeah, by the time Kate won it was like, "here you go, will you stop already even though this isn't your best work?" (a message she apparently got since Steve Jobs is the only movie she's done since then that could really be labeled "Oscar bait", other than perhaps the flop Labor Day). Whether or not anyone will consider The Revenant his best work is irrelevant since he'll be finally be an Oscar winner.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Crash and Hurt Locker are fairly recent.  A good chance The Big Short can still win.  

But The Martian might actually win BP... *Gag*

Fortunately I think The Revenant will indeed win at the Oscars before The Martian (yikes, talk about pick your poison). The HFPA loves feel good trite like The Martian. The Academy are at least a little more discerning. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I like Leo a lot. I didn't think this performance was particularly amazing. The movie itself is very pretty and cool to look at it, but I felt it was completely vapid and empty, and it's something I've been souring on ever since I saw it a couple months ago. 

Well said. Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The Globes may (or may not) have impact in the Oscar race, but they're pretty silly overall and have been for decades. You realize it's just 120 foreign press-credentialed entertainment journalists right? Ones that really enjoy the spotlight and getting to glad-hand celebs. 

To be fair, they're not nearly as bad as they used to be. They will never live down the embarrassment of those The Tourist nominations.

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

They don't matter even close to PGA/DGA in deciding BP winner, people can belittle them all they want. It's a difference of opinion.

Is it right to belittle awards? These are still people who put in work. They don't just "win".