Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

Domestic totals of BP nominees this decade:

2015:

Spoiler

The Martian: 228M

The Revenant: 170M

Mad Max: 153M

Bridge of Spies: 72M

The Big Short: 68M

Spotlight: 39M

Brooklyn: 36M

Room: 16M

Total: 782M

2014:

Spoiler

American Sniper: 350M

Imitation Game: 91M

Budapest: 59M

Selma: 52M

Birdman: 42M

Theory of Everything: 35M

Boyhood: 25M 

Whiplash: 13M

Total: 669M

2013:

Spoiler

Gravity: 274M

American Hustle: 150M

Wolf of Wall Street: 116M

Captain Phillips: 107M

12 Years a Slave: 56M

Philomena: 37M

Dallas Buyers Club: 27M

Her: 25M

Nebraska: 17M

Total: 813M

2012:

Spoiler

Lincoln: 182M

Django: 162M

Les Mis: 148M

Argo: 136M

Silver Linings Playbook: 132M

Life of Pi: 124M

Zero Dark Thirty: 95M

Beasts: 12M

Amour: 6M

Total: 1B

2011: 

Spoiler

The Help: 169M

Descendants: 82M

War Horse: 79M

Moneyball: 75M

Hugo: 73M

Midnight in Paris: 56M

The Artist: 44M

Extremely Loud: 31M

Tree of Life: 13M

Total: 628M

2010: 

Spoiler

TS3: 415M

Inception: 292M

True Grit: 171M

King's Speech: 135M

Black Swan: 106M

Social Network: 96M

The Fighter: 93M

Kids are Alright: 20M

127 Hours (ever see it? Spoilers!): 18M

Winter's Bone: 6M

Total: 1.35B

This year's gross is 4th behind 2010, 2012, and 2013, and only 31M behind 2013.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Managed to catch up with all the Best Picture nominees just in time for the ceremony. Which means it's time for some good old rankings :P

1. Mad Max: Fury Road

2. The Big Short

3. Spotlight

4. Bridge of Spies

5. Room

6. The Martian

7. Brooklyn

8. The Revenant

Very good year, I'd be happy if any movie besides Revenant won, which means I'll probably be sad tonight but whatever...

Just now, The Futurist said:

I am gonna shed a tear for Stalloscar.

:(:)

he's really the only reason I would even watch tonight.  I am still debating about tuning in, but hopefully they start out with supporting actor like they have done most times so i can at least see that :) 

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

An antenna can't pick up the station? That's strange.

You would think, but we don't get FOX either - (but we do get Mytvnet and CW - strange) CBS isn't a surprise because its the only CBS market in the state so it's power is much better. But we are far enough away from other major population centers that we don't have any bleedover

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Ratings should be fine, if only for all the Leo hype. If the man can carry a film as bleak and brutal as The Revenant to huge box office grosses, he should also be able to get viewers to tune in, if only to see his inevitable Best Actor win.

I find perseverance, forgiveness, selflessness and sacrifice to be inspirational. Nothing bleak about it. People really did and still do these things. 

It also is what inspires concepts like The Martian.

3 minutes ago, SWXII said:

I find perseverance, forgiveness, selflessness and sacrifice to be inspirational. Nothing bleak about it. People really did and still do these things. 

It also is what inspires concepts like The Martian.

There isn't forgiveness, selflessness, or sacrifice in what Hugh Glass does in the film, though; his journey is fueled entirely by revenge (and the real Hugh Glass wasn't even in it for the sake of a murdered son; he just wanted to get his stuff back from the men who left him when they feared that they would be ambushed if they stayed with him any longer). Even though he survives under extreme circumstances, it's still pretty damned grim throughout the majority of its very long running time. And what's more, the near-capacity audience I saw it with on opening night had some all-too-audible reactions to the gore in the film, especially during the mauling.

13 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

There isn't forgiveness, selflessness, or sacrifice in what Hugh Glass does in the film, though; his journey is fueled entirely by revenge (and the real Hugh Glass wasn't even in it for the sake of a murdered son; he just wanted to get his stuff back from the men who left him when they feared that they would be ambushed if they stayed with him any longer). Even though he survives under extreme circumstances, it's still pretty damned grim throughout the majority of its very long running time. And what's more, the near-capacity audience I saw it with on opening night had some all-too-audible reactions to the gore in the film, especially during the mauling.

We in the west are sometimes too soft. Like in the movie Wall-E.

Fortunately some still prefer working in the great outdoors. Even if that means you sometimes have to sleep in a horse instead of a comfy little house.

Seriously though, I found the film inspiring.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SWXII said:

We in the west are sometimes too soft. Like in the movie Wall-E.

Fortunately some still prefer working in the great outdoors. Even if that means you sometimes have to sleep in a horse instead of a comfy little house.

Seriously though, I found the film inspiring.

:rofl:

• Like 1

I don't think the ratings will be lower than last year. Last year the only BP nominee that was over 100m was Sniper which wasn't expected to win anything important. Also Leo and Stallone almost sure wins will bring people that normally don't watch. The biggest "star" of last year's acting winners was Juliane Moore.

TBS should get Best Adapted Screenplay. Getting celebs like Margot Robbie to explain stuff was awesome. Also they pulled of the some of main characters breaking the 4th wall really well. They expertly controlled the tone of the movie.

Edited by a2knet

I love the crowd friendly movies this year, Mad Max and Brooklyn. Amazing feat year with Creed and Star Wars. Didn't really dig the more indie and traditional stuff like Room and Bridge of Spies unlike last year where Birdman, Whiplash, Grand Budapest and Boyhood were all better than the nominees this year except for Mad Max :ph34r:

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. Brooklyn
3. The Revenant
4. Spotlight
5. The Martian
6. The Big Short
7. Room
8. Bridge of Spies