grim22

Fast X | May 19 2023 | Part 1 of an epic finale trilogy | Critics say Jason Momoa does a good job

Mamoa and Cena were a lot of fun. I'll give it that I guess. Pretty crap but better than 9 for sure. They don't seem to know what to do with any of the other characters. I can't believe Vin has not one but two more parts in mind. Everything could've wrapped up in this one... I mean, there are pointless flashbacks of things we're all well aware of that eat up a ton of time too. Silly. Move on from Leterrier and get a director that can still package some fun, pulpy, wacky action beats, please.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

11 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Lol wtf was this movie. Audience at my screening was flabbergasted when it got over and not in a good way.

People don't like bait and switch.

Which is what not telling people this is just the first part of a multi part story is.

Edited by dudalb

18 hours ago, PrinceRico said:

Also there is a big difference between ending on a Cliffhanger and just ending like The Devil Inside or The Turning. This ending on a cliffhanger like Dead Man’s Chest, Infinity War and countless other 2 part movies. Across The Spider Verse and Dead Reckoning will be another example. 

But it wasn’t advertised as a Part I til this week, so I can see why people are annoyed and it’s reflected in the verified audience score, for now at least. 

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

But it wasn’t advertised as a Part I til this week, so I can see why people are annoyed and it’s reflected in the verified audience score, for now at least. 

Audience score is pretty much on par with most films in this series. Even Furious Seven on has an 82 audience score and that one is considered the best. Nobody will be crying over an 85 audience score for a fast and furious movie.

This reminded me of F8 of the Furious above everything else. Decent action, lots of individual moments and scenes I liked peppered throughout but loses the tone and focus completely. F9 put things back on track, yes its the Moonraker of the fast franchise but the flashback structure worked well "grounding" it somewhat, this ones just a total mess. Every scene ends with "I know a guy/place" and then they go to that. They've always been somewhat self parody but the craft of Lin just isn't here to keep it on track. Whole thing feels like a lot of deleted scenes in between action beats. 

I'm so over the sci-fi Agency shit at this point, it's capital B BORING. Brie Larson wasted, should've kept Kurt Russel as him up against a younger rival would be more interesting. I'm glad Charlize finally got a good scene in this series (her against Momoa's goons) and she should've always been an action villain, not a hacker. Ending was fine, nothing special, Devil Inside my ass. Post credits scene got my crowd fired up.

One of, if not the weakest Fast films for me, but I think audience WOM will be a big step up from 9. I didn't love Momoa like everyone else but every line and action he had KILLED with my crowd.

5 > 7 > 6 > 3 > Better Luck Tomorrow > 9 > 1 > 2 > 8 > 10 > 4

Edited by TheDude391

4 hours ago, PrinceRico said:

Audience score is pretty much on par with most films in this series. Even Furious Seven on has an 82 audience score and that one is considered the best. Nobody will be crying over an 85 audience score for a fast and furious movie.

Furious 7 is pre verified scores. This one is 75 on that metric 

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2023 at 4:58 PM, Issac Newton said:

Japan OD Reception

4.3 - Filmarks

4.2 - Eiga.com

4.0 - Yahoo Japan

2.5 - MW

15 Points or equivalent to 75% RT in North America. One Site - "MW" is unusual low so I will update score once things get clear ~

Score updates - 17.1 points

~ equivalent to 85.5% RT in North America