kayumanggi

THE LIGHT BETWEEN OCEANS | 09.02.16 | Disney | final domestic gross: $12,545,979

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't think this was positioned as an awards contender after they decided to dump it on Labor Day weekend.

lol Spielberg must be so happy this partnership is over.

Some people had Fassbender and Weisz in their acting predictions. I wouldn't say it was a big contender but it did have some hype from the awards people.

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

hey it's climbed barely up to fresh on rt. i know you guys like binaries so movies that end up in the middle are no good but i still think it's worth checking out for me. cianfrance is a fascinating filmmaker imo.

The weird thing about these reviews is that they seem to judge the actions of the characters.

• Like 1

Oh LOL 

http://thetalkhouse.com/man-ring-derek-cianfrance-venice-premiere-light-oceans

Cianfrance’s wife, Shannon Plumb, wrote an essay about how the mean critics ruined the movie's box office with their mean reviews. 

Way to get your husband and his movie positive attention - by acting like a spoiled baby and blaming critics for doing their job.

Here are some choice cringe-worthy quotes:

Critics can be like horseflies sucking blood from thoroughbreds. If they want your blood, they’re going to cling on no matter how fast you run.

The critics had broken the embargo. They were testing their words like North Korea testing atomic bombs. “Look what I can do,” they seemed to say. 

If a romance film like this doesn’t do well, the chances of making other films like it will die. The critics are killing off genres like hunters with the dodo bird. A lot of us love dodos.

3 hours ago, JennaJ said:

Oh LOL 

http://thetalkhouse.com/man-ring-derek-cianfrance-venice-premiere-light-oceans

Cianfrance’s wife, Shannon Plumb, wrote an essay about how the mean critics ruined the movie's box office with their mean reviews. 

Way to get your husband and his movie positive attention - by acting like a spoiled baby and blaming critics for doing their job.

Here are some choice cringe-worthy quotes:

Oh honey. Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

I'm guessing that her take on those mean old critics was decidedly different when they were championing Blue Valentine in 2010. ;) For my part, I do understand and commend many of Cianfrance's directorial decisions in the film, for it looks and sounds great and is clearly a heartfelt labor of love. The trouble is that for all the love and precision that went into making it, it feels oddly distant on an emotional level. There were moments where I totally got what he was going for, but just wasn't particularly moved by it.

As if there weren't already enough strange things about this movie's existence, it's a head-scratcher that this movie bombed at the box office and yet the screening I attended was very nearly sold out. (Then again, it was a cloudy Labor Day and the theatre in question was the only one in a 20-mile radius that was showing it).

$45,823 | 6th weekend -62.4%

$29,168 | 7th weekend -36.3%

$39,515 | 8th weekend +35.5%

$19,000 | 9th weekend (estimate) -51.9%

$12,535,175 | current total (estimate)

Edited by kayumanggi