WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

Just now, DMan7 said:

Dang dude you must be loaded. Lawyers are rich.

I'm doing fine, but it's too much work with little time of actual living. I don't know what an actual vacation is since 2012, and it was barely one week. I'm thinking about applying for a job as a public defender. I can get a quite comfortable living ten years from now if I keep going, or I might just drop dead. It's stressful. Friends, movies, comics and videogames are the few things that keep me sane, and I wish I had far more time for that. Public Defenders here have a good salary and it's stressful as anything else, but at least I'd have vacations and be able to go home and not keep thinking about work all the fucking time. This board takes my time, but also helps me escape a little, hence why I fucking love posting here. 

• Like 3

Let's not kid ourselves here.  Being part of the Marvel family obviously helped this succeed, but the main reason it opened so well is marketing.  They did a brilliant, brilliant job marketing this.  They had commercials in Mexico with Deadpool selling cookies for piss sake lol.  

But all the sexual innuendo, the happy ending, getting a load of me, TJ Miller and his brand of humour, RR doing Super Bowl commercials and so on, it was perfect in every way and it got average folks interested in the film that might not have been.  

IMHO, this is better than ant-Man and I liked AM a lot.  I'd put this up there with The Avengers, TDK, Spiderman and Spider-man 2.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

It 1000% started with X-Men being a massive surprise and box office hit in July of 2000 w/ $50m+ opening weekend.  Then Spider-Man more than doubled that in 2002 breaking a ton of records and it was off to the races.  X2 built both financially and critically on X-Men with an $85m opening in 2003.  Batman Begins set another new standard in 2005 when it came to DC.   

Everything was either stand alone or self contained trilogies.  X-Men, Spider-Man, Hulk, Hellboy, Blade II, Daredevil, Superman Returns, Fantastic Four and others all had varying degrees of success or failure both critically and financially.  There were a lot of misfires and no real plan among the studios.  

Where everything finally changed for good was Marvel Studios coming up with the plan to execute a shared universe across many studios and characters that would all build into them eventually meeting in The Avengers.  That started with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk in 2008.  Even though The Incredible Hulk sort of failed, Iron Man was at the time a side character super hero among public perception, but Robert Downey Jr. vaulted him into super stardom and showed Marvel that it could have massive success with not so well known characters.  The success of Iron Man gave the green light to Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America and ultimately The Avengers.  

The Avengers is where it went full supernova.  After the wild success of that and the consolidation under Marvel/Disney, you are pretty much assured comic book movies until they stop making movies.  

DC has struggled with everything not named Batman Begins or The Dark Knight.  They had flop after flop (either financial and/or critical).  Superman Returns, Jonah Hex, Green Lantern, Watchmen, Hellboy 2, The Green Hornet, etc...  Man of Steel was just enough of a success that WB/DC went ahead with their shared universe.  They have billions riding on the success of Batman vs. Superman.  They need it to do $1b and hope people are interested enough to want to see things like Wonder Woman and Aquaman.  I think Suicide Squad is going to do well, but all the other stuff is a big risk that I don't think will ultimately work out.  

My guess is, and judging from the latest Batman vs. Superman trailer, that WB is going to remove control of the properties from Zack Snyder and go way more Batman centered and give creative control over to Ben Affleck.  He will end up becoming the virtual show runner for the WB/DC universe.  

Hellboy 2 and The Green Hornet aren't DC.

Point taken I guess. I seriously doubt Affleck will have that much control over future DC films, at best he'll be involved with the Batman film, as the director. I don't think he has much interest aside from that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Quick poll guys: does this preview number (& potential $80m OW) increase or decrease your expectations for BvS or no change?

No change 

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I was with ya up until that point.

Don't be shocked if they go that direction.  Batman vs. Superman is another bloated 151 minute long Zack Snyder production, and it desperately needs to succeed.  The studio and everyone that has seen the movie has supposedly thought the movie is ok but Affleck is great in it.  

They already have given him the virtual green light for a new Batman trilogy that he will direct.  If Batman vs. Superman isn't well received overall but he is, not really a stretch to think they might back the money truck up to a guy who has proven himself at being not only a decent actor but a very talented director who works efficiently and has a clear vision.

He already has a strong relationship with Warner Bros. and is the reason he took on Batman in the first place.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Quick poll guys: does this preview number (& potential $80m OW) increase or decrease your expectations for BvS or no change?

No change. Deadpool and BvS are completely different animals. Even the high end OW # for Deadpool would be disappointing for BvS. 

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

Let's not kid ourselves here.  Being part of the Marvel family obviously helped this succeed, but the main reason it opened so well is marketing.  They did a brilliant, brilliant job marketing this.  They had commercials in Mexico with Deadpool selling cookies for piss sake lol.  

But all the sexual innuendo, the happy ending, getting a load of me, TJ Miller and his brand of humour, RR doing Super Bowl commercials and so on, it was perfect in every way and it got average folks interested in the film that might not have been.  

IMHO, this is better than ant-Man and I liked AM a lot.  I'd put this up there with The Avengers, TDK, Spiderman and Spider-man 2.

Same here. Let me try my current Top 10 after Deadpool:

1. The Avengers

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

3. Deadpool

4. Batman Begins

5. Iron Man

6. Spider-Man 2

7. Guardians of the Galaxy

8. The Dark Knight

9. Iron Man 3 (yeah I know, I'll champion this movie forever)

10. Captain America: The First Avenger 

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Doesn't change my expectations for that movie. 

2 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Don't be shocked if they go that direction.  Batman vs. Superman is another bloated 151 minute long Zack Snyder production, and it desperately needs to succeed.  The studio and everyone that has seen the movie has supposedly thought the movie is ok but Affleck is great in it.  

They already have given him the virtual green light for a new Batman trilogy that he will direct.  If Batman vs. Superman isn't well received overall but he is, not really a stretch to think they might back the money truck up to a guy who has proven himself at being not only a decent actor but a very talented director who works efficiently and has a clear vision.

He already has a strong relationship with Warner Bros. and is the reason he took on Batman in the first place.   

It's 160 minutes.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Huh?

The last two X-men films brought the franchise back to critically acclaimed relevance, with the last one, DOFP not only getting a higher average rating and higher RT score than Deadpool, but becoming the biggest worldwide earner of the series.

If anything, things have gone extremely right as of late for the X-Men and Singer.

What they are probably thinking is, "How can we make more money out of this suddenly hot notion of R-rated superhero films?"

Bring on She-Hulk, Deadpool, Whizzer, Squirrel Girl, Flatman, and Dazzler and call them the Legion of Losers or something...!

Make it raunchy, sexy, action-packed and utterly gonzo!

As iJack said, out of those Fox probably has the rights only to Dazzler. But they should totally go for the very first superhero(ine) musical in Dazzler as genre experimentation really paid off with Deadpool here. Have original songs and have Gambit Tatum play a role if his solo does decent. Deadpool can cameo.

Oh and cast Brie Larson as Dazzler as girl can SING.

tumblr_m7q308jDQ51qdti63o1_500.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Hellboy 2 and The Green Hornet aren't DC.

Point taken I guess. I seriously doubt Affleck will have that much control over future DC films, at best he'll be involved with the Batman film, as the director. I don't think he has much interest aside from that.

My bad on Hellboy, but I thought The Green Hornet has been under the DC banner?  Shows what I know.  =)

I can't do a top ten SH movie ranking....too difficult....but here are 11 films that I love in the SH genre:

TDK

The Avengers

Superman

Superman 2

Spider-man

Spider-man 2

Captain America 2

Deadpool

Batman Begins

Deadpool

The Watchmen

Ones I hate are:

AOU

Batman Returns

Thor

Thor 2

Batman and Robin

Amazing Spider-man

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nilephelan said:

I dunno, man, there are many, many assumptions there. "Bloated", what does that mean? We won't know whether the runtime is justified until the movie comes out. "Desperately needs to succeed"? Maybe, but it's gonna be a huge hit. The only question is whether it's huge or hugely huge. "The studio and everyone who's seen the movie" -- I really don't put much credence to pre-release whispers, and regardless, that's hardly gonna affect the movie over-much. I don't think the WB/DC creative team is gonna change a whole lot through this current generation of products.

Most importantly, I don't think Affleck wants to be any sort of DC super-boss.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nilephelan said:

My bad on Hellboy, but I thought The Green Hornet has been under the DC banner?  Shows what I know.  =)

No, currently the film rights to the Green Hornet are or were owned by Sony. The character was last published in comic form by Dynamite Entertainment.

I don't think the character has ever been published by DC, and they did a Shadow comic at one point, just for reference.