WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

10 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

That's insane given the hype around that movie from the cult success of the original.

The Matrix wasn't a "cult success", it was the 5th highest grossing movie of that year

(Not saying the hype wasn't massive)

Edited by department store basement

Just now, Jayhawk said:

It is, but remember, Reloaded opened on a Thursday (it had Wednesday previews, but they would be rolled into Thursday). It had a 193.7m 4 day opening (adjusted) :o 

Though at the time it was considered cheating when they counted Wednesday's previews in so it would beat SM1's OD.

Just now, Jayhawk said:

It is, but remember, Reloaded opened on a Thursday (it had Wednesday previews, but they would be rolled into Thursday). It had a 193.7m 4 day opening (adjusted) :o 

I forgot Jay, thanks for the reminder. Reloaded was a monster while Revolutions was very meh. Quality wise Reloaded was ok & Revolutions was shit. 

1 minute ago, department store basement said:

The Matrix wasn't a "cult success", it was the 5th highest grossing movie of that year

It became a lot more popular after it came out on DVD/TV, cannot be debated. You can have a cult success that had a good initial run. More often they come from bombs/meh runs but the definition is pretty loosely defined.

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

It became a lot more popular after it came out on DVD/TV, cannot be debated. You can have a cult success that had a good initial run. More often they come from bombs/meh runs but the definition is pretty loosely defined.

A movie that is 5th of its year and adjust to Guardians dollar numbers is not a cult success in any shape or form I am sorry.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheIronDuck said:

Deadpool is not a MCU movie it is a FOX-Men Movie.:blink:

You said all MCU movies were sequels from that logic.  If GOTG is a sequel because it shares a universe with other MCU movies,  then Deadpool is an X-Men sequel because it shares a universe with other X-Men movies.  I'm not saying it is, just saying that from that logic, Deadpool would be considered a sequel...semantics...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, langer said:

You said all MCU movies were sequels from that logic.  If GOTG is a sequel because it shares a universe with other MCU movies,  then Deadpool is an X-Men sequel because it shares a universe with other X-Men movies.  I'm not saying it is, just saying that from that logic, Deadpool would be considered a sequel...semantics...

Actually Deadpool is the first movie complete FOX-Men movie since the time line change and it officially has a new Universe designation so it's not a sequel even by that logic.

Edited by TheIronDuck

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

A movie that is 5th of its year and adjust to Guardians dollar numbers is not a cult success in any shape or form I am sorry.

Cool "cult film, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film with a cult following, obscure or unpopular with mainstream audiences, and often revolutionary or ironically enjoyed.[1][2] Sometimes, the definition is expanded to exclude films that have been released by major studios or have big budgets,[3] try specifically to become cult films,[4] or become accepted by mainstream audiences and critics.

Not to mention the film had 6x legs from OW, thanks for playing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Are you kidding? The Matrix not a cult movie? Rofl, that's the most hilarious thing I've heard all day.

It's THE embodiment of a cult classic. Infinitely quotable, recognizable, changed how action scenes were filmed from the point of its release. It only adjusts to Guardians numbers because

1. It was a completely original movie (not based on anything).

2. It was R-rated.

And its sequel held the record for highest opening week-end for an R-rated movie for 13 years. May I remind you that, although VERY impressive, Deadpool is still based on existing property? 

• Like 3