WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: (Page 18): Deadpool 31.5M | Gods 14M | KFP 9M | Risen 7M | Eddie 6.3M | Triple 9 6.1M | Spectre 16k (lol)

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Aren't the actors playing the Power Rangers like all people who have one or two nothing credits to their name? Haha talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

But whatever. The only reason anyone should be interested in that is Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa. On one hand I can't help but think "I know actors need paychecks every now and then but geez Elizabeth" and then I think...Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa. Maybe I'll secretly root for this lolol.

mbkcwk.jpg

Isn't Becky G gonna be in it? Hopefully her acting is better than her music

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Sure it will.

It cost $140M+marketing, for the sake of argument let's say $200M. Now let's say it grosses half of that worldwide, $100M.

Call me stupid but even if certain companies do manage to make money on it (e.g. Lionsgate) there will still be lots of others who have losses? I mean just mathematically speaking, if a film is a bomb like that then you cant have everyone making profit. Collectively if more was spent than revenue made, then somewhere there are losses. You can't magic profit out of thin air. (Well maybe some accountants can! :P

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Aren't the actors playing the Power Rangers like all people who have one or two nothing credits to their name? Haha talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

But whatever. The only reason anyone should be interested in that is Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa. On one hand I can't help but think "I know actors need paychecks every now and then but geez Elizabeth" and then I think...Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa. Maybe I'll secretly root for this lolol.

mbkcwk.jpg

Was Disney "scraping the bottom of the barrel" when they cast John Boyega and Daisy Ridley in that new Star Wars movie, too?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Total Treecall said:

It cost $140M+marketing, for the sake of argument let's say $200M. Now let's say it grosses half of that worldwide, $100M.

Lionsgate got some aggressive tax rebates and presold to foreign distributors. They're on the hook for about 10m of the production budget. (Of course, they only have domestic and domestic home video revenues now.) In the long run, even including marketing costs, they'll probably turn a profit.

The distributors for each territory will reap the grosses for that territory, but since we don't know how much each paid for it (presumably they got received HV distribution as well, though that might've been negotiable per territory), it's hard to say which of them will lose money or not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Total Treecall said:

Was Disney "scraping the bottom of the barrel" when they cast John Boyega and Daisy Ridley in that new Star Wars movie, too?

Not to mention one of those actors is Ludi Lin, who is just coming off the Chinese smash Monster Hunt. PR is definitely targeting a global audience, especially the Asian markets. Not a bad decision. 

http://deadline.com/2016/02/deadpool-gods-of-egypt-eddie-the-eagle-triple-9-box-office-1201709751/

Gods Of Egypt - an awful $12.7M weekend...wait for the chart

Eddie the Eagle is looking at an estimated fifth place take of $6.1M.

Triple 9 is also a non-winner this weekend with a C+ CinemaScore and a paltry $5.7M.

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

$31 million for Deadpool would be absolutely fantastic. :ohmyzod:

Guardian' third weekend was $25,115,564 and it had $222,661,385 at the end of it while Daadpool would have around $285 million.

If this holds, i don't see any scenario where Deadpool misses $350.

Edited by The Dark Samurai
  • Like 2

3RD WRITETHRU, Friday 11:02PM: Refresh for updates “It has nothing to do with the whitewashing controversy,” insisted one exhibitor tonight about Gods of Egypt‘s failure to deliver at the box office, “At the end of the day, audiences just want to see a good story and this was just a retread of Clash of the Titans.

The Alex Proyas-directed film which returns 300 star Gerard Butler to the sword and sandal genre after nine years is looking at an awful $12.7M-$13.6M opening weekend in an atmosphere where the only title moviegoers continue to care about is Deadpool. That 20th Century Fox title is guaranteed to hold No. 1 again, this time with a third weekend of $31M-$32M and running cume of $286M. 

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Lionsgate got some aggressive tax rebates and presold to foreign distributors. They're on the hook for about 10m of the production budget. (Of course, they only have domestic and domestic home video revenues now.) In the long run, even including marketing costs, they'll probably turn a profit.

The distributors for each territory will reap the grosses for that territory, but since we don't know how much each paid for it (presumably they got received HV distribution as well, though that might've been negotiable per territory), it's hard to say which of them will lose money or not.

From deadline

From what I hear, all-in, Lionsgate’s exposure is between $40M-$50M on this film which carries a gross budget of $140M. But where does a distributor even begin to make that money back if foreign has been sold, and the film is failing stateside? No matter what amount of presales or tax credits covered the budget, everybody involved here loses.

This is something CJohn and me noticed as well

Adding further insult to injury for Gods of Egypt is that Butler has another film opening next weekend, the sequel London Has Fallen, which is expected to make $25M. According to RelishMix, Butler is busy promoting that movie to his 3.7M Twitter/Facebook followers and completely bailing on Gods. Just look at the banner on both of his accounts: It’s for London Has Fallen!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, fmpro said:

From deadline

From what I hear, all-in, Lionsgate’s exposure is between $40M-$50M on this film which carries a gross budget of $140M. But where does a distributor even begin to make that money back if foreign has been sold, and the film is failing stateside? No matter what amount of presales or tax credits covered the budget, everybody involved here loses.

I call bullshit. No chance in hell did they spend that much on marketing and everything else.