Zootopia (2016)  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Wait, how did you see this before the UK opening?

It's 'previewing' here at the moment, so it's in some cinemas for two days (today and tomorrow) and then it's fully released on the 25th. 

• Like 2

On 3/18/2016 at 0:44 PM, DamienRoc said:

Okay, some thoughts.

In a lot of ways, it feels like WiR and BH6 (and maybe even Bolt) were proto-Zootopia films. They had some similar storytelling techniques that feel like they were perfected here.

Additionally, if you can view Frozen as the culmination of 70 years of princess fairy tales, Zootopia is the culmination of the accumulated talking animal films. It's not a twist on expectations in the way that Frozen was, but it does seem like it's a film taking at least one aspect of the talking animal (the anthropomorphized one) to the logical extreme that earlier films, such as Robin Hood, didn't.

One thing that really stands out is this might be the first WDAS film in a long time which really nails the three act structure. Maybe part of that is because they utilize a mystery plot, which requires a lot tight control, but they just nail the arc beats perfectly through it. Even Frozen, as much as I love it, is a bit uneven in this structure. Zootopia makes the storytelling pretty damn effortless, which is amazing when you consider how much worldbuilding work is required.

And, oh man, that worldbuilding is amazing. While it's a pretty simple concept, mammals are all sentient and they build a city together, getting it to work is astounding. I can't help but feel that trying to do this film before Hyperion would have been impossible. They needed that strength to do those varied environments and to allow for all the character models to let the city actually feel populated. Doing crowds is hard enough. Doing it with wildly different animals has to be a considerable step beyond.

If there's anything to criticize about the film, it's the music. Giacchino isn't a composer I'd expect to be a let-down, but he kind of is here. The score is fine, but it's workmanlike and doesn't quite hold up to the greatness that's everywhere else. I think an early rumor had John Powell doing the score, but I expect his sabbatical nixed that (which also affected KFP3.) It's sad to consider what we might have had, since his last WDAS work for Bolt was phenomenal.

Secondly, I can't help but feel like Gazelle was a missed opportunity. Try Everything is pretty catchy as a song, and the lyrics do match the theme of the film, but neither of the times it's used in the film feel particularly appropriate. It would have been better if they'd come up with a few more songs to use. When Judy's riding into the city, it should be something about grand external discovery, not working hard for internal discovery. And at the end they needed something that was more of a showstopper.

Additionally, if they had come up with three songs, it would have sold the idea that Gazelle is the hottest musical act around much better. Something akin to A Goofy Movie, which used two different songs by Tevin Campbell to make Powerline seem like a legit popstar. Shakira's got the voice to really make it work. She just needed more to work with, IMO.

Still, that's a pretty minor quibble. Overall, it's a fantastic film and it might be the best constructed WDAS film, even if others might generate a stronger personal connection to some people.

John Powell could have scored this??????? 

Damn. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Who knows how he would've done. Giacchino sounded like a great choice on paper too

I've kind of realized that I took a lot of Giacchino's work for granted.

His music for the first seconds of Zootopia let the audience know that this movie isn't fucking around.

That said, the music for the parking tickets scene is a major what the fuck.

Edited by cannastop

There's an element in this movie that I got into a debate about and can sort of understand people having a problem with: Before the climax of the film Judy and Nick bring Weaselton to Mr. Big who threatens to ice him if he doesn't reveal who he was delivering the Night Howlers to. It was essentially torture by proxy, and it's only because we pretty much know Weaselton's a jackass that we find it amusing and effective. But you'd hope Judy wouldn't resort to that with every uncooperative person of interest.

7 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

There's an element in this movie that I got into a debate about and can sort of understand people having a problem with: Before the climax of the film Judy and Nick bring Weaselton to Mr. Big who threatens to ice him if he doesn't reveal who he was delivering the Night Howlers to. It was essentially torture by proxy, and it's only because we pretty much know Weaselton's a jackass that we find it amusing and effective. But you'd hope Judy wouldn't resort to that with every uncooperative person of interest.

I even pointed that out in the main fourm. It's hilarious, but fucked up if you think about it. She wasn't officially an officer when that happened, so it might reach the halfway point of being OK.

She isn't at all above bending the rules when it comes to policework.

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

And since at the time her resources were limited and she was in a race against time to prevent more predators getting shot and attacking people, I guess we don't mind her going a little Jack Bauer.

Well, there's also the issue of police officers who collaborate with organized crime.

16 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Yeah, though that wasn't completely within her control. When she was actually a cop he willingly expunged information and when she used him for interrogation she was a vigilante

I'm rethinking her status as a "role model", but I still love her

I think she's a role model for her tenacity alone.

You did raise a point that even I hadn't though of. She was basically a reckless vigilante in the last 20 minutes of the movie.

In a perfect world, Zootopia would hopefully go down in history as one of the most influential animated movies ever made. I typically don't like judging movies by their messages, but the much touted messages of racism Zootopia tackles aren't messages; they're the main theme of the film, and Howard, Moore, and Bush do this themes with more nuance than I've seen most dramatic films about racism handle it. There are a few cringeworthy moments in the first act that could get one worried, but overall, the film handles it with class and in a way that children can learn from it, and adults will more than appreciate it. They'll welcome it and enjoy it, but they might even learn something about themselves and their actions from it.

Perhaps even more incredible though is how Zootopia manages to be a great animated movie without it. It's a buddy cop movie with a very solid mystery and a cool world. Goodwin and Bateman have fantastic chemistry, and their animation is so well done, I forgot it was them. That's quite a feat for Bateman and his recognizable voice, but his voice acting (and Goodwin's) is on point. All the voice acting is great, to be honest, with the exception of Shakira, who is oddly out of place, but thankfully underused.

The world of Zootopia is always interesting to watch, and there's non-obtrusive pop culture that are actually quite humorous. Overall, Zootopia could very well become Disney's greatest achievement, a fantastic meditation on racism in our society and also a darn great buddy cop movie that deserves to be remembered and watched for years to come. A

• Like 2

Got my second viewing in today and enjoyed it just as much as the first time. I adored this movie. Beautifully constructed plot, charming and relatable characters with great developments, gorgeous animation, clever humor, and great underlying themes. 

There are many memorable moments. Special mention to the Godfather reference, I was floored with laughter during that scene. It's a good coincidence that I rewatched Godfather just 2 weeks ago. Whoever voiced Mr. Big was hilariously spot on. 

The voiceworks are great and solid all around. Tommy Chong cracked me up, I didn't know he's in this. Ginnifer Goodwin was great but I gotta say Jason Bateman was incredible. He was all in, the humor, the wide range of emotions, he nailed them all. Nick Wilde is definitely my most favorite male characters of Disney in a while, probably since Simba. And on that note, I think it's the best Disney Animated Movie as well since Mulan (was gonna say Lion King but then I remember the gem that was Mulan)

There might have been some minor complaints here and there, but I don't feel like digging into them cause the greats definitely outweight those small quibbles. And overall, my immense enjoyment of the movie is the testament that trumps all anyway. 

Undoubtedly an A

Edited by Sam
  • Like 1

So I just got back from seeing this today:

I can see why everyone likes this movie so much, the attitude and tone of the movie is fun and engaging throughout. The animation is also spectacular, a job well done. My eyes just lit up at all the visuals I was seeing. The characters in this are also engaging, Hops was funny and a likable and Nick was funny but was glad they went into his back story, made his character all the more interesting. The story kept me engaged throughout, however......I'm not sure what it is, but I just feel like something was missing from this (it really wasn't as funny as it was marketed, but that's not a big deal the story is what counts). I'm not sure if it's because I walked in thinking it was going to be this riot pee-soaking hysterical movie, or the fact that reviewers had my expectations so high (like comparing it to Lion King) that it made it impossible to soar over. I just felt like I left the theater thinking "what that was good, but that's about it". I wouldn't die to go see it again anytime soon, which I know is weird to say considering I just said how good it was. 

Overall, I'd give this a very high B+, 8/10. 

• Like 1