CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

Revised Weekend Projections

NEW (old)

Th = $28.7 ($31.7)

Fri = $54.0 ($55.0

Sat = $50.5 ($51.0)

Sun = $33.5 ($34.0)

OW = $165.7 ($171.7)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

Excuse me? This is a joke is it? How can anybody be so invested in ones own agenda that one starts rooting for other people losing their jobs? Because of a (excuse me) fucking movie? Because of some (excuse me again) fucking figures? That is nothing but outright antisocial. Being unemployed is no joke in this day and age (I know what I am talking about) so I am kinda at a loss for words on this.

Might as well call the crazy DC fans the Red Capes.

:redcapes: 

• Like 1

Just now, boomboom234 said:

I don't understand a lot of you were saying 170-180 weeks ago before any reception and now when it looks to earn that you say it should have earned more. That's just moving the goalposts 

I think the issue is legs.

170 with MoS legs would be amazing? 

Hiwever spiderman 3? Who knows. 

7 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

Excuse me? This is a joke is it? How can anybody be so invested in ones own agenda that one starts rooting for other people losing their jobs? Because of a (excuse me) fucking movie? Because of some (excuse me again) fucking figures? That is nothing but outright antisocial. Being unemployed is no joke in this day and age (I know what I am talking about) so I am kinda at a loss for words on this.

Well, some people here are that invested. It is very sad, I know. 

2 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

I don't understand a lot of you were saying 170-180 weeks ago before any reception and now when it looks to earn that you say it should have earned more. That's just moving the goalposts 

lol the most vocal was even saying 130 M.

No use trying to reduce the negative criticism of BvS. Certainly affect the film legs, the only franchise that does well with negative criticism is Transformers, largely due to China, which is not the case of BvS. (Which must make a $ 150 million there).

The first weekend will be misleading, the film should open rapturous worldwide, but in the coming weeks should lose LOTS of force.

What hunch you to the final total around the world?

People forget how unique TDK is...

How many dark serious movies have become all time hits.

Most all time hits are films like TA JW or SW7.

Saying goes TDKR would do it easily again I think is unfair. 

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think the issue is legs.

170 with MoS legs would be amazing? 

Hiwever spiderman 3? Who knows. 

Yup, the problem are the legs. People were expecting 160-170M OW but in the end it would reach 400M. Nobody believes that anymore.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jb007 said:

TDK was helped by Heath Ledger's death. Refer to FF7 and Paul Walker's impact. So.....

But TDKR was never going to come close to The Avengers under any circumstance other than The Avengers being made by Zack Snyder. It is just some people's wet dream and nothing more. 

In terms of domestic total? I agree. Avengers had better legs and better WOM.  In terms of domestic opening? I disagree. The shooting and 3D are valid issues to bring up. 3D was a self-inflicted handicap by the director and studio. But you just said "under ANY circumstance." What about the circumstance where WB forces 3D down Nolan's throat and the shooting never happens? 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 3

Hmm....BvS is another example of a superhero-movie....a few folks thought it would either have the second biggest or THE biggest OW of all time.

Same thing happened with Avengers: Age of Ultron, last year.....expectations were at $220-230M OW for that movie.....and it ended up at $191M OW....which is nothing horrible at all. But then another movie in the name of Jurassic World.....came out a month later....and opened at $208M OW. Higher than AOU. And no one ever thought JW was gonna out-open Avengers 2....and beat the OW-record of Avengers 1. It was a mass surprise that summer.

The biggest superhero-movies.....usually tends to be the ones, that fans overpredict....any year.

Surprises can come anytime.....whenever for the better or for the worse.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BK007 said:

I'm sure it's been said, but that seems a bloody good number for a shittily received and widely panned movie with polarizing reception.

It makes you think how much it would have made if it had received Avenger-level reviews.

• Like 1

Just now, boomboom234 said:

190 would mean more tickets sold than TA 

But it did not gross $190M, so no point in bringing it up unless you want to reduce the additional grosses reaped by TDK due to Heath Ledger for the sake of fairness. 

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

In terms of domestic total? I agree.it had better legs and better WOM.  In terms of domestic opening? I disagree. The shooting and 3D are valid issues to bring up. 3D was a self-inflicted handicap be the director and studio. But you just said "under ANY circumstance." What about the circumstance where WB forces 3D down Nolan's throat and the shooting never happens? 

200M would have happened. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BK007 said:

I'm sure it's been said, but that seems a bloody good number for a shittily received and widely panned movie with polarizing reception.

Still early, but it's probably outgrossing Deadpool easily with that kind of preview number.

It was always going to outgross Deadpool and it was always going to open big. Anyone who thought otherwise was being delusional. Deadpool is R-rated and had no 3D. Batman v Superman contains three of the most iconic super heroes, is PG-13 and has 3D. Just because it got shitty reviews didn't mean it was suddenly going to bomb. However it's legs might not be as good had it gotten great reviews, which is what everyone is talking about. 

• Like 1