CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

4 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

It needs 576M more to hit a billion WW. Possible or not?

It will be close.

I think it will do about 500M OS-C (2.5 Multiplier).

China will do around 100

Domestic about 370

I think around 970 +/-

19 minutes ago, jb007 said:

It will be close.

I think it will do about 500M OS-C (2.5 Multiplier).

China will do around 100

Domestic about 370

I think around 970 +/-

No move that opened at this level missed a billion it just doesn't happen it out opened tdkr in every territory it was the best Warner movie in every territory you are sailing the worst legs imaginable in every territory domestic won't be 370 when 380 is the absolute floor potter legs aka the worst legs of any major movie.

8 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

No move that opened at this level missed a billion it just doesn't happen it out opened tdkr in every territory it was the best Warner movie in every territory you are sailing the worst legs imaginable in every territory domestic won't be 370 when 380 is the absolute floor potter legs aka the worst legs of any major movie . Honestly it's the same every day the numbers shut the trolls up for a few hours then they come roaring back only to get shut up again by the next numbers I do t know how mods stay sane handling this

Most movies don't open at that level because most movies don't open worldwide like BvS just did. The sample size of movies opening in the exact same pattern as BvS is very, very limited and thus, drawing conclusions just from it is rather preposterous.

I say we'll see, but don't be so eager to count this as an impossibility when it's clearly still a possibility that this movie misses $1B

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

Most movies don't open at that level because most movies don't open worldwide like BvS just did. The sample size of movies opening in the exact same pattern as BvS is very, very limited and thus, drawing conclusions just from it is rather preposterous.

I say we'll see, but don't be so eager to count this as an impossibility when it's clearly still a possibility that this movie misses $1B

It out opens tdkr by a significant amount in almost every major market that movie Hoyt 636 OS in the US the absolute floor is 380 it needs 620 OS to get that 1 billion that's pretty easy. Which most of the forum already knows the post from when the numbers came out all reflected that now is the time like clockwork when the the people who second guess come in until the next days numbers shut them up again

I was just thinking remember when, Green Lantern came out it was actually supposed to be the launching pad of the DCCU. the funny thing is it's reviews are not really that much worse than BvS. but of course it didn't make any money. I mean BvS writing is kind of a mess, but there were way too many great things in it for critics to hate on it as much as GL, which I actually didn't hate, and if they got the right writing team behind it could have even been salvaged imo. but still a lot worse quality wise then BvS, I almost think part of (don't get me wrong to an extent the criticisms warranted) the reason it is getting so much negativity is because of the polar-opposite tone of it from the MCU, and it gave them whiplash.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

It out opens tdkr by a significant amount in almost every major market 

And yet Hobbit 3 out-opened Hobbit 2 in just about every market it was playing in. Look what happened. It made $30M more in China, but $30M less everywhere else. And I repeat, it out-opened hobbit 2 almost everywhere. Still 30M less.

Nothing is guaranteed, especially with a movie getting such bad reviews.

that movie Hoyt 636 OS in the US the absolute floor is 380 it needs 620 OS to get that 1 billion that's pretty easy.

Getting TDKR numbers with the reviews BvS has is definitely not something I would qualify as "easy", even if it out-opened it.

Avengers 2 also out-opened Avengers in just about every market it opened in, and it still grossed a lot less in all of them. China saved the day though, and it doesn't look as bad as it was because of that, but it should have.

When TFA came out, people were saying Titanic was toast. Some people said it wasn't as clear-cut, that there was still a way for Titanic to stay #2, and on reddit anyway they were getting downvoted to oblivion. What happened though? Titanic won.

Nothing is guaranteed. The numbers will speak for themselves.

Edited by Daxtreme
typo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

And yet Hobbit 3 out-opened Hobbit 2 in just about every market it was playing in. Look what happened. It made $30M more in China, but $30M less everywhere else. And I repeat, it out-opened hobbit 2 almost everywhere. Still 30M less.

Getting TDKR numbers with the reviews BvS has is definitely not something I would qualify as "easy", even if it out-opened it.

Avengers 2 also out-opened Avengers in just about every market it opened in, and it still grossed a lot less in all of them. China saved the day though, and it doesn't look as bad as it was because of that, but it should have.

When TFA came out, people were saying Titanic was toast. Some people said it wasn't as clear-cut, they was still a way for Titanic to stay #2, and on reddit anyway they were getting downvoted to oblivion. What happened though? Titanic won.

of course nothing is guaranteed but one thing is assuming that the lowest of the low ends will occur. In addition in most territories take china for example it did  over TDKR total  in the first weekend is significantly above it thus far and with Europe still on vacation and no competition i don't see how it could do less than a billion. It is clear that people making those predictions are assuming the worst imaginable legs while people saying a billion  are not even assuming good legs but rather below average blockbuster legs which will still get it to a billion

Today I took apart the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot standee at work. Co-worker filmed me. But I didn't just take it apart. I demolished it.

Seriously, I punched like 6 holes in that thing before ripping apart Tina Fey (whom I love but that movie looks awful). Then I climbed into the recycling bin just to stomp on it more. Haven't had more fun at work in a long time.

33 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

No move that opened at this level missed a billion it just doesn't happen it out opened tdkr in every territory it was the best Warner movie in every territory you are sailing the worst legs imaginable in every territory domestic won't be 370 when 380 is the absolute floor potter legs aka the worst legs of any major movie.

It is very possible it will hit 1 billion but it is not guaranteed. 

Please quit calling other members trolls when they have a different opinion than you do.

Just now, boomboom234 said:

It's not a matter of opinion its the same group of people following the same pattern every day

His post was reasonable.  Yours was not.

380 is not guaranteed.  1 billion is not guaranteed.

It is your opinion that they are.

I'll say it to you just one more time.  Quit calling other posters trolls for having different opinions than you.

• Like 2

Boom boom something else you need to consider is that exchange rates were highly favorable in 2012 as opposed to today (which actually makes your out opening point even better) but overall it has to work harder to make the same funds...I.e. Sell even more tickets and that is not a guarantee. That is all anyone is trying to say. I personally think it makes it with like a 60m bumper but that could be wrong and it ends up like Pirates 3 in the almost but not category. ANYTHING is possible (accept 500m that shipped sailed with the Friday number)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kalo said:

I was just thinking remember when, Green Lantern came out it was actually supposed to be the launching pad of the DCCU. the funny thing is it's reviews are not really that much worse than BvS. but of course it didn't make any money. I mean BvS writing is kind of a mess, but there were way too many great things in it for critics to hate on it as much as GL, which I actually didn't hate, and if they got the right writing team behind it could have even been salvaged imo. but still a lot worse quality wise then BvS, I almost think part of (don't get me wrong to an extent the criticisms warranted) the reason it is getting so much negativity is because of the polar-opposite tone of it from the MCU, and it gave them whiplash.

They got an Oscar-winning writer for this one and they ended up with an even more divisive movie than their already divisive Superman reboot that was its predecessor. I hate to pile on and say that the problem is Snyder, but...yeah, the problem is Snyder. He needs to go. Talented filmmaker in his own right, but this is out of his depth.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

When TFA came out, people were saying Titanic was toast. Some people said it wasn't as clear-cut, that there was still a way for Titanic to stay #2, and on reddit anyway they were getting downvoted to oblivion. What happened though? Titanic won.

+1

BvS has out opened TDKR domestic also, but will fall short by $70 to 80M in total.

BTW, AOU's OS-C OW (including later than 4/22-24 releases) is 264.07 M

Total Gross - C = 706.3

Multiplier = 2.67

So a 2.54 multiplier,  I have used for OS-C is reasonable and that would give BvS OS-C 197 x 2.54 = 500.

It isn't like I just threw some numbers without any analysis.

Edited by jb007
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Clef Ment said:

I think I predicted 170-180 (or 160-170) so kinda happy with my prediction.

Big WW opening, now let's see the legs! I think they will be pretty weak.

I predicted 171 but I have a feeling that actuals will come 1-2 million less than estimates.

I have no idea what the legs will be.  I think they will be weak however I admit some of that is likely coming from my personal bias towards the movie.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

I predicted 171 but I have a feeling that actuals will come 1-2 million less than estimates.

I have no idea what the legs will be.  I think they will be weak however I admit some of that is likely coming from my personal bias towards the movie.

I predicted 171 OW also.

I did not like the movie either. But all through the years, bad movies and/or critically reviled movies have done well. So the reviews would not impact the OW but the legs.

SM3 is the perfect example. Even with bad reviews for SM3 (for a franchise that had stellar reviews for the first 2 movies), it got the OW record in 2007. But the legs were bad due to WOM.

• Like 2