CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

FF7 is a superhero movie.  

They clearly have the power to fly cars.

FF7 is really the best comparison.  GI Joe had a full Thursday opening and also a much lower opening.

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

F7 scored an A cinemascore so I wouldn't assume their multipliers are going to be similar lol.

The internal multiplier over the weekend for BvS compared to FF7 suggests it will continued to track lower.  Anything above $370m means it has to have better holds then FF7.

Some wisdom :

- Katniss is still the Queen of March, she created the March box office spot and she still rules it.

With 170m OW, I had doubts. With  166m , I don't have them anymore.

A humble heroine with a bow trumps Batman-Superman and Wonder Woman.

When will your faves ?

- 400m Dom is probably dead and with a meh Chinese performance , 1B WW is probably dead too.

- Add to the humiliation that BvS doesn't have any competition (big blockbuster) in the next two weeks, Avengers was able to kill both Dark Shadows and Battleship.

- Whatever good will you think there is for BvS, it is purely fanboy driven and the movie is definitely not the giant crowd pleaser they hoped for.

Tepid word of mouth is gonna act like an insidious poison on this.

- DC has yet to become a brand, they still don't have that movie that can establish it. And even if Suicide Squad is a giant winner, a great film with great box office, the fact that it is not really connected to the Justice League narrative is a problem.

- Warner has nobody to blame for this but themselves. They are after Avengers money.

MOS didn't quite work ? Scrap MOS 2 and call Batman and Wonder Woman to the rescue, that will do it. Audiences are dumb, give them a movie filled with superheroes and they will eat it up.

Not.

- BvS will be the the peak of the current DCEU for a long time. When you can't create goodwill (Batman) with your golden goose, you re in trouble.

- The higher ups at Warner know what s up. The two cameos appearances of Aquaman and Cyborg in BvS were a laughing riot. Grim Dark overdose is coming to an end. Let s have a laugh with Aquaman and Cyborg. Or is it at ?

:shades::shades:

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, SWXII said:

Still tracking over 60% on MT. 

Sorry critics. Sorry trolls. You lose.

We shall see e.g if it gets any more frontloaded.

1 billion box office victory will go in doubt.

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Some wisdom :

- Katniss is still the Queen of March, she created the March box office spot and she still rules it.

With 170m OW, I had doubts. With  166m , I don't have them anymore.

A humble heroine with a bow trumps Batman-Superman and Wonder Woman.

When will your faves ?

- 400m Dom is probably dead and with a meh Chinese performance , 1B WW is probably dead too.

- Add to the humiliation that BvS doesn't have any competition (big blockbuster) in the next two weeks, Avengers was able to killed both Dark Shadows and Battleship.

- Whatever good will you think there is for BvS, it is purely fanboy driven and the movie is definitely not the giant crowd pleaser they hoped for.

Tepid word of mouth is gonna act like an insidious poison on this.

- DC has yet to become a brand, they still don't have that movie that can establish it. And even if Suicide Squad is a giant winner, a great film with great box office, the fact that it is not really connected to the Justice League narrative is a problem.

- Warner has nobody to blame for this but themselves. They are after Avengers money.

MOS didn't quite work ? Scrap MOS 2 and call Batman and Wonder Woman to the rescue, that will do it. Audiences are dumb, give them a movie filled with superheroes and they will eat it up.

Not.

- BvS will be the the peak of the current DCEU for a long time. When you can't create goodwill (Batman) with your golden goose, you re in trouble.

- The higher ups at Warner know what s up. The two cameos appearances of Aquaman and Cyborg in BvS were a laughing riot. Grim Dark overdose is coming to an end. Let s have a laugh with Aquaman and Cyborg. Or is it at ?

:shades::shades:

That's how it starts. The fever, the rage.

• Like 2

I realize that BvS has a lower cinemascore, but being as there is no way to quantify that into dollar amounts I decided to just look at the hard numbers. Especially since GI (A-) and FF7 (A) are both higher. GI has a RT score of 28% that is similar to BvS's 29%, but both way off of FF7's 81%. Looking at the numbers, I still think 2.4 is a good multiplier match for BvS.

Ignoring the numbers, I personally think that BvS will be under Deadpool domestically. I just don't have any evidence or statistics to back that up at the moment. Just based off a gut feeling and the fact I hated MoS. I'm a huge Superman fan, he's my favorite superhero, but I almost walked out of that movie. Never had the urge to do that before or since. Have no plans on seeing BvS or any other DCU movies due to that experience. Which is a shame since the DC TV shows and cartoons have always been awesome. Especially The Flash and the cartoons; Batman: The Animated Series, Superman and Justice League.

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I guarantee you that was not the internal thought process.

Of course it was.

The Futurist knows it all. He is so smart. We are not worth it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lancelot123 said:

I realize that BvS has a lower cinemascore, but being as there is no way to quantify that into dollar amounts I decided to just look at the hard numbers. Especially since GI (A-) and FF7 (A) are both higher. GI has a RT score of 28% that is similar to BvS's 29%, but both way off of FF7's 81%. Looking at the numbers, I still think 2.4 is a good multiplier match for BvS.

Ignoring the numbers, I personally think that BvS will be under Deadpool domestically. I just don't have any evidence or statistics to back that up at the moment. Just based off a gut feeling and the fact I hated MoS. I'm a huge Superman fan, he's my favorite superhero, but I almost walked out of that movie. Never had the urge to do that before or since. Have no plans on seeing BvS or any other DCU movies due to that experience. Which is a shame since the DC TV shows and cartoons have always been awesome. Especially The Flash and the cartoons; Batman: The Animated Series, Superman and Justice League.

If BvS gets a 2.4x then it almost certainly outgrosses Deadpool though.

12 minutes ago, SWXII said:

Still tracking over 60% on MT. 

Sorry critics. Sorry trolls. You lose.

the critics lost. kevin feige is gonna visit the commune where they all live and give them poison kool-aid because they have failed him.

• Like 3

The fact that Deadpool most likely going to end up selling more admissions than Batman v Superman due to it not being in 3D would be one hell of an astonishing achievement. Who would've had the balls to predict THAT happening exactly one year ago?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, CJohn said:

'Batman v Superman': Inside Warner Bros.' Massive Marketing That Led to a Record Opening

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/batman-v-superman-inside-warner-878208?facebook_20160328

All that money and yet it still opened less than Star Wars and Avengers Age of Ultron. I don't understand how anyone can say that an opening of $166M is what WB wanted when their marketing and the amount of money put forth screams otherwise. Again $166M is A LOT of money but for Batman v Superman and all the hype around it, it's not all that great. Is it bad? Absolutely not. But it's not eye popping either. 

Oh and I love how THR didn't adjust the opening to the $166M it actually made. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1