CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

The preview numbers are very, very good. I expected $30M+ but regardless very, very good. That said, other movies trashed by critics have had strong OW and previews. I think of Pirates 3, Transformers 2 and Transformers 3 all spring to mind immediately. Hell, Pirates 2 garnered mixed-negative reviews and set records. And, Spidey 3's were mixed as hell too. I don't believe reviews impact the OW of an event film, especially an event film titled Star Wars (as in even if the reviews were bad) or Batman vs. Superman.

• Like 3

Batman himself has proven he can open at 190 tdk adjusted so the potential is there the reviews did hurt this movie a bit there's no denying but it can go up from here as we have already seen it do so. Remember tdk and TA sold almost the same amount of tickets like 1 million difference 

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Batman has had the admissions record 4x and should have had it a 5th time. He is the worlds biggest individual character.

4 minutes ago, jb007 said:

BVS fans were reporting (based on deadline) that the movie had $15M in  presales for previews as of 2 weeks prior to release. 

Then over the last 2 weeks including walk ups on Thursday it did $12M. It does not sound like a great deal to me. Like I said earlier, it is neither good nor bad.

Presale figures are always pretty skewed, even if you assume that Fandango figure is accurate across all presales. SW did over 100m in presales and "only" 57m in previews. 

• Like 4

Just now, The Stingray said:

I wish they had all tanked so they would stop making them and pave the way for better movies.

Sucks for you because the GA loves them. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Stingray said:

I wish they had all tanked so they would stop making them and pave the way for better movies.

At least they're not as big anymore. Just need to be patient.

And there are plenty of great movies anyway

2 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

I wonder why Linda Fiorentino never became a thing.

There have been lots of rumors circulating about her, maybe it s the built in sexism in Hollywood but some say she was impossible to work with, bad temper etc

17 hours ago, CJohn said:

We are more than 1 month away. Either way it won't touch SW record.

Yeah but a month away from opening,  TFA had 7 sellouts in my area already and added 15 showtimes (starting at 55).  CW has not even added showtimes and started at 31.  Just showing some comparisons.  I agree with your last sentence.  

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Because everyone has already accepted that it was going to be lucky to make 1/6th of the original's total long, long ago.

I was being sarcastic. That movie had a 27% RT score lol.

F7 did 15.8m in previews and 131.38 over the rest of the weekend for an ow of 147.18m.

BvS has already made 11.9m more in previews. Even using the same 131.38 over rest of the weekend, it gets 27.7 + 131.38 = 160m.

But it sounds very unlikely that will show no growth of F7's numbers on true Friday, Sat and Sun.

170m looks very realistic.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 4