CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I think Deadpool does have a shot at screenplay nomination, definitely not from the Oscars but the Golden Globes maybe. BVS is almost a lock for Best Visual Effects category tho, and the internet meltdown when BVS is nominated for an Oscar and Deadpool isn't will be an all-time record.

But tbh, if I'm rooting for an acting nomination from a franchise/blockbuster type movie, it better be John Goodman from 10 Cloverfield Lane (even though I wouldn't classify 10CL as a blockbuster exactly, but you get what I mean).

I think that will only be happening in your mind. No one is expecting a deadpool oscar nom. LOL

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I think Deadpool does have a shot at screenplay nomination, definitely not from the Oscars but the Golden Globes maybe. BVS is almost a lock for Best Visual Effects category tho, and the internet meltdown when BVS is nominated for an Oscar and Deadpool isn't will be an all-time record.

But tbh, if I'm rooting for an acting nomination from a franchise/blockbuster type movie, it better be John Goodman from 10 Cloverfield Lane (even though I wouldn't classify 10CL as a blockbuster exactly, but you get what I mean).

I'm not so sure about that. MOS deserved to win for Visual Effects and wasn't even nominated, not to mention the score. The industry hates Snyder for getting to make projects that celebrated directors couldn't get pass development, like Watchmen, Batman v Superman and Justice League.

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

I would love for this to happen (because Goodman is almost Kathy Bates in Misery good in 10 Cloverfield Lane and he's overdue for a nomination) but there's sadly no chance really. A March release that becomes a completely different genre in its third act? Yeah, not happening. Hopefully his role in the Peter Berg/Mark Wahlberg Boston Marathon movie is substantial so he can get cited for multiple movies at the end of the year.

10 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I'm not the poster you quoted but, it's far from non-sensical. In fact, Batman v Superman is the worst-reviewed tentpole movie since Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

Negative word of mouth is in effect, it just doesn't show on opening day, which leads us to...

:kitschjob:

Opening day is literally the only day in a movie's box office run that a movie is immune to word of mouth. 

That's your perception of things. I'm here to discuss box office, not "get excited and root for things to do well". I don't really care if a movie I don't like doesn't make loads of money. I'll be glad to know about it, but that's it.

If this site squelched everyone's opinions, I'd be sure to get the hell out of here as quickly as you can say "Batman".

Amen, this place isn't for fucking cheerleading. And it's especially not for cheerleading shit movies.

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

I'm not so sure about that. MOS deserved to win for Visual Effects and wasn't even nominated, not to mention the score. The industry hates Snyder for getting to make projects that celebrated directors couldn't get pass development, like Watchmen, Batman v Superman and Justice League.

Are you being serious?

The industry is Jealous of Snyder now...

1 minute ago, jj99 said:

I think that will only be happening in your mind. No one is expecting a deadpool oscar nom. LOL

Not really, cause I'm DEFINITELY not expecting that to happen. But don't you think that there is a minimal chance that the ones who are biased against BVS (anti-DC, anti-Snyder) will feel pretty bad about the movie getting that type of recognition whereas Deadpool doesn't get anything?

No? Ok then.

But to be fair, no comic book movie will ever get major awards consideration unless they get Fury Road type acclaim, EVER.

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

No it is non-sensical to assume because we haven't seen the Saturday number yet. 

Perhaps my comment about rooting for things to do well wasn't quite how I intended. I merely meant I'd rather spend time talking about the numbers on here, than trolling like some are. That's all. 

As for opening day being immune to word of mouth - Fantastic Four? Opening days can absolutely be affected by word of mouth and reviews. Especially these days. 

No arguments from me man. We're all on the same page mostly. I just don't like this trolling from some, as I'm sure you don't. 

Fair enough. You just can't expect people not to criticize a movie they didn't like. I agree that this thread has gone out of hand somewhat, but it's because of the roller coaster that is the box office.

It just does what it does!

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

It made more than Furious did on Friday. Way more. End of story. It's one of the biggest Friday's of all time. 

We don't know how large the Saturday drop will be. 

Just because YOU don't like the movie, that doesn't mean anything. Guess what? Others did. Others on here did, all of my friends that are DC fanatics did - so go figure. Maybe it might have a great Saturday too! We simply don't know. 

This 'negative word of mouth is in effect' stuff is non-sensical. You're wondering why people are calling you out on it, but it's these little things you write about this 'assumed negative word' which is just fiction at this point. How can you summise negative word of mouth from one of the biggest days in box office history? 

This is meant to be a box office site where we all get excited and root for things to do well. This constant negativity about the film is actually causing me, and many others, to not want to come on here. 

I respect you don't like the movie. Just have a bit of respect for those of us that do and stop going on and on about how much you dislike it or assume there's negative word with a $400 million opening. Please. 

The irony is that if you liked it you'd be raving about how well it was doing and you know it!!! Lol 

It's not about me liking the movie or not. I've learned a lot since TASM2, and I'm aware that the man that I am now is a different one that I was back then, meaning that yes, I completely get rooting for a film and getting frustrated when someone "talks badly" about a film I'm willing to see it succeed. 

With that said, maybe the fact that I don't like the film and my own experiences with TASM2 help me analyzing it more objectively, in my opinion. It did $12 million more than Fast 7 previews, what was pretty much expected. But good Friday, which was bound to be frontloaded as well it did a little more than $3m. My theory is that what we are seeing is the inverse of what happened with Deadpool, meaning that I really underpredicted what a 'good' BvS could make (my original predictions are $165m ow / $363m Dom) and now we are in a scenario where the negative buzz is much bigger than any of us could have ever anticipated.

Hence why I believe we're witnessing an "anti-Deadpool" reception, and I'm really going into this analyzing it objectively. It's meaningless if I like the film or not, if either of us like it or not. My interest in its box office run right now is purely as a box office enthusiast, and discussing if we like it or not is a moot point imho. I like TASM2. It's a bad film, but I like TASM2. And I completely get what the fans of this film are feelong, maybe better than they'll ever acknowledge it. I get what it is focusing on the positive, and you're completely in your right of doing that, I respect you and all the fans of this film for that, because I can completely relate. With that said, people around here, some of them among people that actually like this film, made me look at TASM2 for what it was.

BvS isn't TASM2, it's not burying the DCCU. But business wise, although it'll make more than that film, it's as much of a disaster as that film, if not more. I can't see Warner moving forward with Snyder as it stands, but that's my personal judgement and I'm keeping it separated than my box office analysis of it. The worldwide roll over will look huge as it was designed to, but I'm interested in seeing how the box office of this film will affect the DCCU plans, and I'm hoping for the best. Whatever the best is in the grand scheme of things.

1 hour ago, zackzack said:

I have to say after all this, that Snyder is one hell of trailer maestro. Remember that 300 trailer set to that Nine Inch Nail's "Just Like You Imagined", the melancholic slo-mo of Watchmen trailer set to that Smashing Pumpkin song, one of the best doom-gloom trailers ever made, and of course those 2 amazing MoS teasers, each with voiceovers by Russell Crowe & Kevin Costner setting up MoS to be a movie about a child guided by 2 fathers -- too bad it devolves into smash-n-bash replay of Matrix Revolution. I think Snyder & co missed another chance to tell another great story about Bruce Wayne vs Clark Kent conflict: rich playboy vs  farm-boy journalist, fascist vs libertarian, absolutist vs idealist etc rather than an overstuffed Justice League primer.

I don't see Batman being a fascist.

His ideal is justice, not nationalism or authority.

Batman is quick to fight against the government, police, or the elite if they get in the way of justice.

Would Batman join fascist authority if it meant eliminating crime 100%? Maybe as Bruce Wayne but Batman would keep tabs on those in power and have a plan to overthrow them if they became morally corrupt (which they would).

Also Clark Kent isn't Libertarian. He would oppose drugs, prostitution and gambling being legalized in Metropolis or Smallville. 

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Not really, cause I'm DEFINITELY not expecting that to happen. But don't you think that there is a minimal chance that the ones who are biased against BVS (anti-DC, anti-Snyder) will feel pretty bad about the movie getting that type of recognition whereas Deadpool doesn't get anything?

No? Ok then.

But to be fair, no comic book movie will ever get major awards consideration unless they get Fury Road type acclaim, EVER.

True, They'll need to hire Inarritu or something.

How that man won best director back to back i will never understand.  

@iJackSparrow Dude, WB will not get rid of Snyder if the weekend numbers are as robust as they look, and considering that half of the audience likes/loves the movie and eats it up (w/only the other half + critics not appreciating it), there's NOT an anti-Deadpool effect whatsoever. Only possible way Snyder gets the boot at this point is if BVS drops more than 75% in its 2nd weekend, and that's a generous number anyway.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

5 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Amen, this place isn't for fucking cheerleading. And it's especially not for cheerleading shit movies.

I really expected this movie to live up to the poor reviews. And I see why some rationalize that this is not what they expect from a cbm. This is definitely NOT Marvel.

I see that as a strength. No cheerleading needed. 

This movie was so close to a true classic. Fell short, but not by much.

IMO.

25 minutes ago, jj99 said:

No guarantees it will be bad. We can't just make baseless assumptions now.

Lets at least get the saturday numbers first.

It's not baseless. Reviews that bad are always a good indicator of negative buzz. It's historically that way, and I don't expect BvS to become the exception to that rule. 

But you're right, waiting for the box office numbers is all we can do right now. It will succeed or fail with its own merits. That's not me attacking the film or its fans, and I respect those who liked like I've said on my previous post.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Or it's a strange year in terms of contenders. What most likely helped Mad Max big time was that a lot of the movies that were expected to be frontrunners this time last year ended up fizzling/didn't live up to expectations.

7 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

It's not about me liking the movie or not. I've learned a lot since TASM2, and I'm aware that the man that I am now is a different one that I was back then, meaning that yes, I completely get rooting for a film and getting frustrated when someone "talks badly" about a film I'm willing to see it succeed. 

With that said, maybe the fact that I don't like the film and my own experiences with TASM2 help me analyzing it more objectively, in my opinion. It did $12 million more than Fast 7 previews, what was pretty much expected. But good Friday, which was bound to be frontloaded as well it did a little more than $3m. My theory is that what we are seeing is the inverse of what happened with Deadpool, meaning that I really underpredicted what a 'good' BvS could make (my original predictions are $165m ow / $363m Dom) and now we are in a scenario where the negative buzz is much bigger than any of us could have ever anticipated.

Hence why I believe we're witnessing an "anti-Deadpool" reception, and I'm really going into this analyzing it objectively. It's meaningless if I like the film or not, if either of us like it or not. My interest in its box office run right now is purely as a box office enthusiast, and discussing if we like it or not is a moot point imho. I like TASM2. It's a bad film, but I like TASM2. And I completely get what the fans of this film are feelong, maybe better than they'll ever acknowledge it. I get what it is focusing on the positive, and you're completely in your right of doing that, I respect you and all the fans of this film for that, because I can completely relate. With that said, people around here, some of them among people that actually like this film, made me look at TASM2 for what it was.

BvS isn't TASM2, it's not burying the DCCU. But business wise, although it'll make more than that film, it's as much of a disaster as that film, if not more. I can't see Warner moving forward with Snyder as it stands, but that's my personal judgement and I'm keeping it separated than my box office analysis of it. The worldwide roll over will look huge as it was designed to, but I'm interested in seeing how the box office of this film will affect the DCCU plans, and I'm hoping for the best. Whatever the best is in the grand scheme of things.

Fair enough. Well argued. 

Personally I have no doubt Snyder will move forward with JL as planned. I've been shocked at the reaction to it, like many have. Although reaction to all of his films has always been divisive. 

I Iook forward to seeing how it does in the coming days. For the record, as you'll probably recall, I liked alot of TASM2 as well. It had big problems but there's much I like about it. 

• Like 1

I am going to dinner with friends and then to see this movie. Hopefully, there will be enough empty seats that I don't have to worry about sellouts.

This is the first time Superman and Batman will be in the same movie together. Even if it is a bad movie, it is still one those movies that you have to see.