CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

Just now, filmlover said:

Studio wars, which is silly. Arguments over which money-grubbing corporations is better at what they do than other money-grubbing corporations.

Mine is clearly better. If I'd ever have a book so successful it would warrant a book adaptation they'd be the only studio I'd trust with it (so basically I'd turn down any other studio even at the price of never adapting it). That proves they are better. :P

1 minute ago, James said:

Mine is clearly better. If I'd ever have a book so successful it would warrant a book adaptation they'd be the only studio I'd trust with it (so basically I'd turn down any other studio even at the price of never adapting it). That proves they are better. :P

lol

You tried.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You need to come down from the whole "WB is king" stuff. lol. They're only a movie studio that has some good years and some not so good years (like last year) like everyone else. Only Disney is the one guaranteed to consistently stay on top (all because they make only certain kinds of movies a year with a mid-level movie or two thrown in for good measure).

Well, if we're being technical, Disney doesn't make much of anything other than animated movies and the occasional live-action adaptation of their own material. They use their financial resources to acquire other media companies and have them keep generating (or re-generating) those franchises. It's very lucrative now... it may not be as lucrative well down the road. But they don't particularly care about that, and who can argue?

• Like 1

Just now, James said:

I'm not having this argument with you since you seem to be totally clueless about how business models work. But have fun debating it on your own. :)

The old "you don't understand but I'm not going to explain it" schtick. Lmao.

You can't explain how releasing double the movies to make the same amount of money is a superior "business model". 

Admit it. :lol:

18 minutes ago, James said:

Yeah, because they actually have to bring on original content alongside with their franchises. And from this original content new franchises are born (Lego, The Conjuring). All in all, their way of doing business clearly works. 

All in all I think the next couple of years will become a showdown between WB and Disney, with all the other studios being left in the dust. Universal has some big franchises and it works for them when they are all in one year. 2016 looks dismal for them. Fox is the same, on a smaller level. Paramount and Sony are small players compared to the big two. And Lionsgate is out of the game if they don't discover the next big YA franchise.

Basically WB and Disney are the only ones with a full slate every year.

2016 is bad for Fox? In what world are you living?

So far:

Kung Fu Panda 3 ($145M) - $500M+ gross

The Revenant ($135M) - $506M gross

Deadpool ($58M) - $746M gross

Ahead:

X-Men Apocalypse

Independence Day 2

Ice Age 5

Assassin's Creed

• Like 2

lol

You tried.

And succeeded. 

Spoiler

I actually really really like fighting over things like this. The chaos of it all is just beautiful. But at the end I hope you don't take it the wrong way. I really like all of you guys, even the tasteless people who like Marvel.:P 

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Well, if we're technical, Disney doesn't make much of anything other than animated movies and the occasional live-action adaptation of their own material.

They do toss in the occasional live-action original gamble but I'm guessing after multiple costly failures (most recently, The Finest Hours) they will continue moving away from those kind of movies (even though they do have solid mid-range hits every now and then ala Into the Woods).

They do toss in the occasional live-action original gamble but I'm guessing after multiple costly failures (most recently, The Finest Hours) they will continue moving away from those kind of movies (even though they do have solid mid-range hits every now and then ala Into the Woods).

Yeah, it's really too bad. The marketplace suffers overall.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MARTHA!!!!!!!!! said:

2016 is bad for Fox? In what world are you living?

So far:

Kung Fu Panda 3 ($145M) - $500M+ gross

The Revenant ($135M) - $506M gross

Deadpool ($58M) - $746M gross

Ahead:

X-Men Apocalypse

Independence Day 2

Ice Age 5

Assassin's Creed

I didn't say it is bad. They have a very lucrative year in 2016 because, just like Universal in 2015, they have most of their big franchises crammed in one year. But that is not a sustainable model if they want grosses like this every year.

Edited by James

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Zack Snyder confirms Bryan Cranston was considered for Lex Luthor.  Good thing he didn't end up his this schlock.

I dread to think what Bryan Cranston would be like doing Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, James said:

Keep cheering for your favorite studio. I think it makes the box office a lot more exciting to follow when you have a studio that consistently makes the types of films that you like and you can root for that studio. Also, I find studio wars to be much more interesting than franchise wars.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Yeah, it's really too bad. The marketplace suffers overall.

They will find a replacement set of films though. I'm thinking a jaunty adventure movie about some quasi-teens with laboratory experience

Just now, Telemachos said:

The BOT staff tends not to ban often. Maybe something like one every couple months or so. However, since Wednesday, we've given out six bans (of varying lengths).

:sarah: 

Any old timer or just new members?:rofl: