Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's the MCU. Anything associated with it is a guaranteed moneymaker these days. 

I don’t think anyone is arguing that this wouldn’t have made money without COVID. It obviously would have. It just doesn’t seem like one of the more exciting films of Phase 4. It’s set in the past and stars a character who’s canonically dead in the present, so that seems like it would limit the hype around it. If any upcoming Marvel film could go directly to streaming, it would be this one. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Do people really care about this movie though? It's not linked to phase 4 and she's not a super-powered individual so I wonder, it feelsl ike a movie that would gross $650-700m pre-Covid; perfectly fine, profitable but not anything big.

32 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's the MCU. Anything associated with it is a guaranteed moneymaker these days. 

This film would have done $900m - $1.1 billion pre-Covid. She's an extremely popular character and after her death in Endgame, a lot of people felt (likely true) that this would be the last hurrah for the character. 

• Like 8

I think it’s an underrated possibility that most MCU solos, even the weaker ones, will do 900-1.1B nowadays.   

I know some people don’t like to compare WW ranks as a way to adjust across time, but it’s at least pretty interesting that TWS/Ragnarok level WW finish will be ~930+ by the time this comes out.

12 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

I think it’s an underrated possibility that most MCU solos, even the weaker ones, will do 900-1.1B nowadays.   

I know some people don’t like to compare WW ranks as a way to adjust across time, but it’s at least pretty interesting that TWS/Ragnarok level WW finish will be ~930+ by the time this comes out.

It will mostly dpeend on the Chinese performance though, I wouldn't be surprised to see an MCU film grossing more in China than in the US soon, Endgame was so huge there that it's still jaw-dropping ^^"

11 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

It will mostly dpeend on the Chinese performance though, I wouldn't be surprised to see an MCU film grossing more in China than in the US soon, Endgame was so huge there that it's still jaw-dropping ^^"

I think within the next 4 years, that will happen. Not every film mind you, but at least one. Hell, Shang Chi could do it this year. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 8:05 PM, WittyUsername said:

My thoughts exactly. If this were a film with significant ramifications for the MCU, I could maybe understand delaying it again, but it’s a midquel. It’s clearly not supposed to be one of the bigger MCU stories of Phase 4 or whatever this is, so I don’t see why it needs the constant delays. 

It's introducing the new BW (Yelena) so it isn't a filler by any means. She'll be an important part of MCU going forward. We just have to wait and see what ramifications are there and how she will be connected to the larger universe and characters who have powers.  So yes, there's a reason why they would prefer to go theatrical with this movie like with all MCU movies. That said, they might be forced to release it on D+ if situation doesn't improve by spring. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

I think within the next 4 years, that will happen. Not every film mind you, but at least one. Hell, Shang Chi could do it this year. 

Hell, it could even happen with the very movie whose thread we’re in ;)  

Though for now I have DOM about 20-30% higher.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It's introducing the new BW (Yelena) so it isn't a filler by any means. She'll be an important part of MCU going forward. We just have to wait and see what ramifications are there and how she will be connected to the larger universe and characters who have powers.  So yes, there's a reason why they would prefer to go theatrical with this movie like with all MCU movies. That said, they might be forced to release it on D+ if situation doesn't improve by spring. 

I know it’s not filler. None of the MCU movies technically qualify as filler. I’m merely saying that this doesn’t seem like it will have significant ramifications, relatively speaking. 

9 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Well we know that Black Widow will be coming out before Hawkeye for sure. So unless they want to kick that down the road as well there's only so far they can delay Widow again if they choose to.

Hawkeye is like Nov/Dec, even without any connections to anything this would never go later than July, so the connection isn’t going to influence anything.

• Like 1

Hi, everyone. Long time lurker, first post here!

But anyways, I'm starting to come around to the fact that this film is going to most likely be delayed again. If anything, it just moves to July 9th (Shang-Chi's spot). I have a feeling that this might be the final delay of the film. Either the world is at a place where they feel confident that it will do somewhat good OR they pull the plug and decide to do the hybrid release. I just can't see them pushing this film back again and again. Thoughts? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dominick1216 said:

Hi, everyone. Long time lurker, first post here!

-snip-

. Thoughts? 

Welcome!

Non, I decided to wait till whatever they‘ll decide on will actually happen and then decide how I‘ll watch it.

39 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

So the question is if Disney either A: can convince Feige to go along with hybrid release or B: is willing to go over the head of the biggest moneymaker for the film division of the company, arguably of the entire industry.

Most likely the first option. Releasing it hybrid without his consent, Disney probably doesn't want to get on Feige's bad side lol

Edited by dominick1216

30 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

So the question is if Disney either A: can convince Feige to go along with hybrid release or B: is willing to go over the head of the biggest moneymaker for the film division of the company, arguably of the entire industry.

Both, but especially B because ultimately his bosses are the ones who sign his checks. 

Let's be reminded of that whole James Gunn fiasco. You think King Kevin liked Alan Horn kneejerk firing one of his directors which caused a scheduling nightmare for him that he had to shuffle and which turn allowed Gunn to make a movie for a rival outfit in the meantime? Iger who signs those checks ultimately didn't reverse Horn's bonehead decision until much later, after the Fox buyout was completed.

At this rate BW having a soley theatrical release through summer 2021 would really surprise me. Hybrid would make sense, having your cake and eat it too as much as one can these days. (I have a hunch Mickey Mouse's accountants are looking at the recent China box-office numbers and thinking we can't completely sit that out and just have an all out D+ release for BW. I mean King Kevin is many things, but oblivious aint one of them.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

The solution is simple.    

By March, Disney higher ups will simply look around at virus nums and see that Feige was right about a pure theatrical release all along.

Or they will see these huge Raya premier numbers and will think "Damn, we can't overlook this sweet Disney+ money, sorry Feige but the future is now!" :shades:

Disney's grey suits be like:

2CFWiIM.gif?noredirect

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Or they will see these huge Raya premier numbers and will think "Damn, we can't overlook this sweet Disney+ money, sorry Feige but the future is now!" :shades:

Eh, I doubt the Raya numbers will be huge. The buzz seems particularly muted. If Mulan didn't do great, I can't see Raya doing much better.

Edited by datpepper
  • Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

12 minutes ago, datpepper said:

Eh, I doubt the Raya numbers will be huge. The buzz seems particularly muted. If Mulan didn't do great, I can't see Raya doing much better.

Raya will be more than fine, it's Disney Animation with the quality going with it, and Soul was a big success despite the lack of initial buzz.

From what I see a lot of people on Twitter are interested in it but a new IP will not generate Marvel / DC / Star Wars levels of buzz that"s all, reviews and WOM are what drive new animated movies, which is also why they have better legs than the frontloaded Marvel / DC / SW...

People never learn and underestimate the same kind of movies time and again, it's exhausting...I'll put this on the fact you're new here, you have a lot to learn, it's ok.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Knock It Off 2

57 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

The solution is simple.    

By March, Disney higher ups will simply look around at virus nums and see that Feige was right about a pure theatrical release all along.

I think the solution is even simpler.  Black Widow is not the hill Feige will want to die on.

Whenever that day comes, if it comes, when Feige gets into a 'tiff' with Disney brass, it will be over something much much more substantial than this.  

Widow will be released this year one way or another, and Feige will deal with it -- because the Marvel content pipeline is now more important to preserve than one simple prequel film.

Having said that... Variety indicates that this thing cost $200+??  Why?  They should have done a Black Widow movie for $150 mil tops, or perhaps even half-that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2