WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 13): Jungle Book 42.4M | Keanu and Huntsman 9.4M | Mother's Day 8.3M | Barbershop 6.1M | Ratchet 4.8M | CIVIL WAR OS OW 200.2M!!!! (Page 14)

23 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

I see what you mean there. Silence of the lambs was something that really took off in winter. Maybe harder to do with tent poles coming out.

Exactly. I can't see a movie like Silence of the Lambs taking off like it did today. I wasn't there for its run but I remember the fantastic runs of Spy Kids and Bridget Jones (and I was just BARELY aware of box office at the time).

4 minutes ago, department store basement said:

It's not about whether it'll spout a franchise, it's whether it'll be SUCCESSFUL ENOUGH to spout a franchise. There were many in this range in the early 2000s that easily could have gotten sequels but didn't (such as Old School).

Now those kinds of movies are just flopping left and right. PPZ? Flop. Triple 9? Flop. Grimsby? Flop. Criminal? Flop. Hail Caesar? Not a flop but still a disappointment. And the "based on true story" ones like WTF and Eddie are flopping too.

I won't be surprised if in a few years the LOWEST budgeted spring film that isn't tiny has a budget the size of Gods of Egypt.

See, it's hard for me to weep that much for those movies. Most of them didn't get good word-of-mouth so there's not much incentive to reward them. 

There's always going to be smaller budget movies. Most filmmakers don't have the resources to make a CGI tentpole and despite what it looks like studio execs aren't going to hand out $150 million to just anyone. 

3 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

Disney probably wishes they'd released JB a week earlier. As it is, its gross this coming weekend will almost surely be truncated by CACW, or else maybe lingering JB demand will knock a few million off of CA. It's clear that Disney's films will be competing with each other to an extent.

I mean, I know, it's a nice problem to have, when you have two blockbusters out there fringing on each other to an extent, but still ..

In hindsight, yeah Disney execs likely wished that it had opened earlier.  But when scheduled, they probably saw BvS performing stronger on its 3rd weekend than actuals, so it was understandable to move it away both DOM and OS.   And I don't think they projected JB performing as strong as it is, maybe 250-300.

Edited by wileECoyote
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

See, it's hard for me to weep that much for those movies. Most of them didn't get good word-of-mouth so there's not much incentive to reward them.

I understand your point, but I think people are still impartial to "middle class" movies in general now.

Case in point: When The Boss hit #1 the reactions were all "BvS didn't get a 3rd week at #1 and was surpassed by THIS MOVIE!!!" rather than "It's nice to see a movie like The Boss doing well when gigantic movies usually hold the top spot".

2 hours ago, TommyA10 said:

Highly unlikely. Would need $600+ million domestic and $400+ million in China, probably even more.

I heard this movie beats the typical franchise fatigue. It's really the most emotionally devastating Marvel movie yet. The twist near the end is pretty ::holy cr*p:: 

2 minutes ago, department store basement said:

I understand your point, but I think people are still impartial to "middle class" movies in general now.

Case in point: When The Boss hit #1 the reactions were all "BvS didn't get a 3rd week at #1 and was surpassed by THIS MOVIE!!!" rather than "It's nice to see a movie like The Boss doing well when gigantic movies usually hold the top spot".

Everything involving BvS was a clusterfuck here. 

3 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Doesn't that also have more to do with the fact that BVS dropped so fast, and a somewhat general perception of Mellisa McCarthy's movies as not being quality, and the Boss getting pretty terrible reviews?

1 hour ago, department store basement said:

The "blockbuster spacing" pisses me off because it's just killing the audience for mid-budget franchises. Would something like Final Destination or The Whole Nine Yards or Pitch Black be successful enough to get a sequel today? I doubt it.

It's so weird that you included The Whole Nine Yards on this list.  I mean, not every movie needs to be successful enough to get a sequel.  When you look at the gross for The Whole Ten Yards, you realize this.  Same thing with the similar Analyze This/Analyze That.  

Edited by Rallax
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, zackzack said:

I heard this movie beats the typical franchise fatigue. It's really the most emotionally devastating Marvel movie yet. The twist near the end is pretty ::holy cr*p:: 

Doesn't really matter IMO.Where are those extra $400+ million (From $1.4 billion of AOU) supposed to come from?

1 hour ago, department store basement said:

It's not about whether it'll spout a franchise, it's whether it'll be SUCCESSFUL ENOUGH to spout a franchise. There were many in this range in the early 2000s that easily could have gotten sequels but didn't (such as Old School).

Now those kinds of movies are just flopping left and right. PPZ? Flop. Triple 9? Flop. Grimsby? Flop. Criminal? Flop. Hail Caesar? Not a flop but still a disappointment. And the "based on true story" ones like WTF and Eddie are flopping too.

I won't be surprised if in a few years the LOWEST budgeted spring film that isn't tiny has a budget the size of Gods of Egypt.

You are going way overboard on this.  PPZ?  Triple 9?  Grimsby?  Criminal?  Those are all bad movies that failed because they sucked, not because of blockbuster spacing.  Hail, Caesar! was right along the lines of Coen Bros. screwball comedy and grossed accordingly.  

The decent to good mid budget movies still did very well.  10 Cloverfield Lane was a solid hit right in the middle of Deadpool and BvS.  My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 wasn't a good movie, but still managed $60m domestic.  Same thing with London Has Fallen, it did $200m total on a $60m budget.  The Boss did $60m on a $30m budget.  

Don't overreact because a bunch of shitty movies didn't do well and ignore the ones that still did in the middle of a bunch of $300m films because they don't fit your narrative.  

• Like 1

This year really does need to start producing some mid-range hits, though. The only $100M+ grosser that won't reach $300M is Kung Fu Panda 3, while the only movies to miss $100M but make $70M+ are Ride Along 2 and 10 Cloverfield Lane, and the only non-brand, non-sequel movies to make $50M+ are Miracles from Heaven and The Boss. To create a more stable box office environment, there needs to be more titles that land in the "in between" zone.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This year really does need to start producing some mid-range hits, though. The only $100M+ grosser that won't reach $300M is Kung Fu Panda 3, while the only movies to miss $100M but make $70M+ are Ride Along 2 and 10 Cloverfield Lane, and the only non-brand, non-sequel movies to make $50M+ are Miracles from Heaven and The Boss. To create a more stable box office environment, there needs to be more titles that land in the "in between" zone.

There are about to be a bunch of movies come up that will fit into those categories.  

Although...if you look at the original promo materials for Silence, it was sold as a horror movie, not a prestige film. I've looked at old newspaper ads out of curiosity and it was sold as "scary enough to put your sweetie in to cuddling...see it on Valentine's Day!" 

So maybe it would have made it theatrically nowadays and maybe (backed by those amazing reviews) it would have been a hit. 

4 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Although...if you look at the original promo materials for Silence, it was sold as a horror movie, not a prestige film. I've looked at old newspaper ads out of curiosity and it was sold as "scary enough to put your sweetie in to cuddling...see it on Valentine's Day!" 

So maybe it would have made it theatrically nowadays and maybe (backed by those amazing reviews) it would have been a hit. 

I have only ever seen Silence of the Lambs advertised as a Horror film.

26 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

The Silence of the Lambs would probably be turned into a True Detective type thing on TV today. Sad. 

It was based on a bestseller, so more comparable to something like Gone Girl.