WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 13): Jungle Book 42.4M | Keanu and Huntsman 9.4M | Mother's Day 8.3M | Barbershop 6.1M | Ratchet 4.8M | CIVIL WAR OS OW 200.2M!!!! (Page 14)

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

This year really does need to start producing some mid-range hits, though. The only $100M+ grosser that won't reach $300M is Kung Fu Panda 3, while the only movies to miss $100M but make $70M+ are Ride Along 2 and 10 Cloverfield Lane, and the only non-brand, non-sequel movies to make $50M+ are Miracles from Heaven and The Boss. To create a more stable box office environment, there needs to be more titles that land in the "in between" zone.

I think Jan-Apr 2016 lacked mid-level hits simply because most everything offered had minimal appeal. 

January was filled with duds sans Ride Along 2 and KFP3. The Revenant also counts as a 2015 release despite making nearly all of its money in 2016 (same as American Sniper). 

February was barren aside from Deadpool. 

March performed to expectations because Zootopia and BvS did well, but could anyone expect Miracles From Heaven, MBFGW2, 10 Cloverfield Lane, London Has Fallen or Allegiant to carry a month? And Miracles, MBFGW2 and 10 Cloverfield Lane all made a tidy profit due to how low-budget they were. Allegiant was awful, and London was a sequel no one was particularly excited about. 

April is similar to February, where only one film excited anyone. A terrible McCarthy comedy doing $60 million+ DOM is impressive considering how April is perceived. Huntsman 2 would have bombed anywhere, even in September or October. Barbershop 3 performed to expectations. 

But Summer 2016 is different. May has 5 "exciting" releases, June has 5 "exciting" releases, July has  5-8 "exciting" releases (depending on Mike & Dave, BFG and IA5) while August has less but still 4 "exciting" releases. Out of these, I'd say at least 7-8 should do $100-199 million DOM. Some will do more, some less.

I don't see only 1-2 films making $100-199 million this summer. We might get 3 just in May (Neighbors 2, Angry Birds and Alice 2). And another 2-3 for June and July, with 1-2 for August even. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

How the hell do you delete unwanted posts? 

@SteveJaros, if you're talking about when you accidentally are quoting an un-wanted post, there are two different ways: first, if you mouse over the upper left box of the quote, you'll see a [+] symbol. Click on that and it selects the quote element and you can delete it normally.

If you're on a tablet, click on "Source", then select all the text and delete it, then Un-select "Source".

• Like 1

• Community Manager
4 hours ago, department store basement said:

That's a terrible argument.

Barbershop is an established series, the GND films have tiny budgets, and the Fallen films are promoted like tentpoles.

It's the 20m-50m budgeted series that are dying (like the ones I mentioned). I can't see a How to Be Single sequel happening.

London Has Fallen had a $60 million budget? "promoted like tentpoles" doesn't mean "tentpole budget". Also 10 Cloverfield Lane says hi! I don't know if there will be any sequels from any of the "mid-budget" movies this spring but that doesn't mean they all failed. The Boss probably will make a profit, I can't imagine that was a high-budget movie. 10 Cloverfield Lane  shows there's room for lower-budget franchises.

32 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

@SteveJaros, if you're talking about when you accidentally are quoting an un-wanted post, there are two different ways: first, if you mouse over the upper left box of the quote, you'll see a [+] symbol. Click on that and it selects the quote element and you can delete it normally.

If you're on a tablet, click on "Source", then select all the text and delete it, then Un-select "Source".

That's exactly what i was talking about ... thanks! :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

London Has Fallen had a $60 million budget? "promoted like tentpoles" doesn't mean "tentpole budget". Also 10 Cloverfield Lane says hi! I don't know if there will be any sequels from any of the "mid-budget" movies this spring but that doesn't mean they all failed. The Boss probably will make a profit, I can't imagine that was a high-budget movie. 10 Cloverfield Lane  shows there's room for lower-budget franchises.

There are clearly movies that can succeed.

And obviously the solution is simple.

Every movie with less than a 100m budget will now be...a Cloverfield movie.  Imagine if...The Finest Cloverfield Hours.  It would've done way better.

• Like 1