CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

Has there ever been a film series where the OW of the first film was lower than the OD of the latest film in the series.  Didn't CA:TFA open to 65million?

5 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

EDIT: Not to say that it's a flop, or even that it's going to lose money (I sincerely doubt it will), but that it's disappointing given the expectations.

Some "analysts" were expecting TFA to do 3b WW.  I hardly think Disney considered it disappointing that it didn't come close.

Or, to put it another way, don't let the "expectations" set by others  ruin the appreciation of a fantastic result.  I guarantee you that neither Disney nor Marvel is going to consider a 180+ OW "disappointing".

2 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

You guys are weird.

I think this statement just about summing things up in this thread quite nicely.

• Like 3

Just now, DAR said:

Has there ever been a film series where the OW of the first film was lower than the OD of the latest film in the series.  Didn't CA:TFA open to 65million?

Batman Begins to The Dark Knight. Austin Powers to Austin Powers 2 (entire gross of Austin Powers was done within AP2's OW). Pitch Perfect to Pitch Perfect 2 is also the same.

1 minute ago, DAR said:

Pitch Perfect. Lmfao, PP2's OW outgrossed the entirety of the first film's run.

Yes, people, let's all be disappointed with CW even if it does end up doing $170m. I mean, having the sixth highest opening weekend of all time is just so disappointing. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Since Friday is 75M Estimated, I'm confidentally predicting 80-85M Saturday and 70-75M on Sunday.. We all know by now, well at least I do, that MARVEL Movies increase HEAVILY on Saturday and Sunday and this will be no exception..

Not happening.

But thanks for playing. ;)

This could possibly double the opening of TWS and be three times  the opening of CA:TFA and yet people are somehow disappointed?

I DON'T FUCKING UNDERSTAND SOME OF YOU!!!!!

Edited by DAR
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

No.. I won't let you bother me.. I've reached into my inner self and refuse to be baited and respond accordingly.. No.. I'm going to knock this out of the park more than ever..

movie 80s sylvester stallone rocky balboa f87nn747gceyhby 

When it hits your $220m-$230m prediction, then you have our permission to gloat. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

Potter.

SS: $90m OW

DH2: $91m OD

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Batman Begins to The Dark Knight. Austin Powers to Austin Powers 2 (entire gross of Austin Powers was done within AP2's OW). Pitch Perfect to Pitch Perfect 2 is also the same.

1 minute ago, angeldelmito said:

Pitch Perfect. Lmfao, PP2's OW outgrossed the entirety of the first film's run.

As soon as I posted I thought there's probably been a ton of examples.

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Fourth or fifth best OW of all time is "underperforming"?

Tough crowd.

People tend to over hype themselves when it comes to these big blockbuster movies. Especially the CBMs. 

I think anything over IM3 is a win for this movie. I don't see it doing less than 180 for the weekend. 

14 minutes ago, straggler said:

How many of these can they make before fatigue sets in? That is why reboots happen. 

They'll probably do some type of change in direction after the second Infinity War movie. Between now and then you've got:

Dr. Strange, Thor the Dark World, BP and the two IW movies. 

3 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

For example,

BoxOffice.com: $605M

The Numbers: $500M

So one has it at exactly 500m and another has it just pipping over 600m.  I suppose that is technically in the "500s to 600s".  But the way its worded suggests to me that 'everyone' had it at 550 to 650.

And even if they did, a 180 OW can hit that mark with good WoM.

So, once again:  Tough crowd.

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Who says this is doing 160 to 170 million lol

Nobody. But even if it did $170m, that's a massive number and the fact that people are disappointed with a potential $180m OW says volumes about how stupid so many members are. 

• Like 5

Civil War was amazing, but Marvel probably wants it to perform like Avengers.

So, if it falls under AOU, that's disappointing for sure. How much was spent for marketing? The budget is 250 million, but we have no idea about the marketing.

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Who says this is doing 160 to 170 million lol

We're in the stage of 'permission' 

Numbers tonight around 78-83 will put us back into the stage of 'optimism'

Then we can repeat tomorrow.

• Like 2