CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

5 minutes ago, redgarlic68 said:

(Haven't read the thread since the friday number, sorry but I didn't/don't have the time)

Man I don't know how to feel with this one. On one hand, many (including me, before) expected more from it. On the other...

I watched this 10 days ago. It might have been the tiredness and sleepiness speaking after a midnight showing, but it didn't feel as elating as TA or IM1. In fact it left me quite sad, with no desire to rewatch soon. I know this is just a personal impression of the movie, but maybe there are others who felt the same way and therefore affected it rewatchability. I knew since the day I watched it that Avengers 1 numbers were too big just because of that. So, while I feel disappointed when comparing to my pre-watching numbers this is falling right around my post-watching numbers. 

And that's why I call it Marvels Empire Strikes Back. But I love it for those reasons. 

8 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

even when it's literally the Empire Strikes Back of the trilogy lol.

Yes, but the reputation of ESB didn't arrive until well after the movie first screened.   Thinking that "something is the Empire Strikes Back of something" should automatically lead to great box office is, frankly, a little daft.  After all, as you point out, the actual ESB didn't.

Then again, I personally think that ESB is more than a little overrated (though I do rate it more than I did in my younger days), so calling something "the Empire Strikes Back of something" really doesn't say much to me. ;) 

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Yes, but the reputation of ESB didn't arrive until well after the movie first screened.   Thinking that "something is the Empire Strikes Back" of something should automatically lead to great box office is, frankly, a little daft.  After all, as you point out, the actual ESB didn't.

Then again, I personally think that ESB is more than a little overrated (though I do rate it more than I did in my younger days), so calling something "the Empire Strikes Back" of something really doesn't say much to me. ;) 

Well yeah, that's the point. Usually the ESB of a series ends up grossing less than the other movies. 

37 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Rogue One is not opening to 180m

I keep saying that, aside from the title it does not have the same mass appeal that brought people to SW7, it's not even elseworld story exactly. It looks and feels very much like a spin-off. I still am excited for it and want to see it, but this movie is not doing anything near TFA numbers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yes, but the reputation of ESB didn't arrive until well after the movie first screened.   Thinking that "something is the Empire Strikes Back" of something should automatically lead to great box office is, frankly, a little daft.  After all, as you point out, the actual ESB didn't.

Then again, I personally think that ESB is more than a little overrated (though I do rate it more than I did in my younger days), so calling something "the Empire Strikes Back" of something really doesn't say much to me. ;) 

Not speaking box office with the ESB comparison which you're right.

I'm speaking of the tone of where the movie ends. The climax, how emotional it is, where do we go from here, etc. Another close comparison would be TDK but ESB I think is more fitting.

It doesn't leave you happy (and considering what it deals with, it shouldn't)...but I definitely left satisfied with the actual experience the film provided. There was so much going on that I wanted to go watch it again. TDK didn't leave me happy either and that was an amazing experience.

The last time I used the ESB comparison (I think I've said it a few times) was for How To Train Your Dragon 2.

As far as great box office I guess we'll see. Flixster is still holding strong at 92% 4.5/5. 

Edited by somebody85

19 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

The next movie that has a good shot at 200m is Episode 8. And that's a long ways away.

For that to be another TFA, everything has to go right again.

Hell no. Empire didn't make more than the first Star Wars, after all.

People should be prepared when Episode 8 "only" does $450M-$500M.

And no, this Civil War opening is not going to start tempering future judgement for, say, Infinity War. That too will get overhyped to fuck by online pundits who get to see it a month early and toot Disney's horn at a given notice. We were literally here a year ago saying the same thing about Age of Ultron. People just don't fucking learn...

1 minute ago, moviesRus said:

Well yeah, that's the point. Usually the ESB of a series ends up grossing less than the other movies. 

Ah, I see.  Well you said "Star Wars second movie drop offs are big, even when it's literally the Empire Strikes Back of the trilogy lol."  The 'even when' made it sound like it should have done more.

My apologies for misunderstanding.  Still, it allowed me to get my :stirthepot: feelings that ESB isn't the bestest ever thing to happen to SW out in the open.  So it's all good. :P

2 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

And no, this Civil War opening is not going to start tempering future judgement for, say, Infinity War. That too will get overhyped to fuck by online pundits who get to see it a month early and toot Disney's horn at a given notice. We were literally here a year ago saying the same thing about Age of Ultron. People just don't fucking learn...

that much of a drop for Episode 8? Don't think so. Should still make over 700m 

• Like 1

58-60 is a 15.4-19.4% Sat bump.

Needs a 46.75m Sun (-19.4%) with 58m Sat for 180m, and a 44.75m Sun (-25.4%) using 60m.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

But they were right about TFA. Agreed on Infinity War.

In the weekend thread for that we were already saying Infinity War, Justice League, Batman V Superman or any comic book movie has no chance at those numbers. 

But you're right regarding AOU. I remember for years people here thought it was going to way out open Avengers.

A Phantom Menace dynamic is at play with Force Awakens, for entirely different reasons of course, not as strong and harsh , But I can definitely feel it.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

According to  a certain15 year old ESB is an old film.

I think calling it an "old film" is fair game. Considering that the average age difference between parent and child is ~31 years, the people who first saw ESB in theaters have children now who are older than they were. Sounds old to me.

Edited by johnboy3434