CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

8 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

With that Sunday drop, I'm not sure it'll surpass AOU domestically anymore. PLOT TWIST!

If it was an ordinary Sunday, i would readily agree, but this was Mother's Day, and I can see how many who would otherwise have seen it would have had other plans for M-Day, or else decided that a comic book movie wasn't the best choice for the day.

Not that this still doesn't hurt the overall trajectory, it does, because once people decide to pass on a film for a given day, some will just never get around to seeing it. But i think that the Mother's Day angle will mitigate that loss of trajectory. 

Edited by SteveJaros

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think the main reason this weekend thread was an overall meh (note - just talking about the thread, not the box office gross or anything related) was because the numbers never fluctuated. We got a 75-80M range very early on Friday, a 58-60M range by afternoon on Saturday and the Sunday number didn't beat estimates. Only so long we can analyze a given set of numbers.

Looking at overperformer threads like Jurassic World, Deadpool or Jungle Book, the numbers keep going up and so does the enthusiasm in the thread participants.

Last year's Ultron thread or the MJ1 thread are examples where early estimates led to hilarious meltdowns. We spent a good 12 hours last year thinking we were going to see the first ever 100M OD before the 85M estimate came in at 3am Saturday Pacific Time leading to Noctis basically gloating for the next 10 pages. The MJ1 thread is in a league of its own though.

Can you point me to the MJ1 ow thread? Could not find it.

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Can you point me to the MJ1 ow thread? Could not find it.

Here you go, enjoy it in all its glory - starting with The Wrap tweeting out completely wrong numbers

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

Huge 60% SAT-to-SUN jump on for . $11.1M final wknd gross, up 33% from opening wknd. $22.8M in 10days.

LOL That is just ridiculous. Has anyone here seen this movie? I still like Julia Roberts. I might give it a watch.

6 hours ago, James said:

IM3 actually held better over the weekend than CW did. The difference between the two OW wise will be of around 4m, despite the fact that CW's opening day was with 6.5m bigger than IM3's.

Well it beat IM3 overall. So still a win in my book.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think the main reason this weekend thread was an overall meh (note - just talking about the thread, not the box office gross or anything related) was because the numbers never fluctuated. We got a 75-80M range very early on Friday, a 58-60M range by afternoon on Saturday and the Sunday number didn't beat estimates. Only so long we can analyze a given set of numbers.

Looking at overperformer threads like Jurassic World, Deadpool or Jungle Book, the numbers keep going up and so does the enthusiasm in the thread participants.

Last year's Ultron thread or the MJ1 thread are examples where early estimates led to hilarious meltdowns. We spent a good 12 hours last year thinking we were going to see the first ever 100M OD before the 85M estimate came in at 3am Saturday Pacific Time leading to Noctis basically gloating for the next 10 pages. The MJ1 thread is in a league of its own though.

Yeah it was anti-climactic.   Still Avengers was the best over performing weekend simply because it came out of nowhere. JW was very similar but Avengers did it first. Plus we had Nikki being ridiculous and it was also the first time rth gave us numbers for domestic opening weekend. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Who else has seen Civil War twice? :)

Four times: Two advanced screenings, another freebie on Thursday (courtesy of my favorite comic-book shop renting out a local theater), and finally paid to see it on Saturday night cuz my brother-in-law was in town. It doesn't quite hold up to multiple viewings as well as The Avengers did, but the fun parts are still REALLY fun.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Harris said:

Four times: Two advanced screenings, another freebie on Thursday (courtesy of my favorite comic-book shop renting out a local theater), and finally paid to see it on Saturday night cuz my brother-in-law was in town. It doesn't quite hold up to multiple viewings as well as The Avengers did, but the fun parts are still REALLY fun.

I'm gonna watch again at some point. But I didn't have the immediate need to see it again like I did with TWS.  LOL I saw TWS in the theater 5 times and gladly paid every time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Here you go, enjoy it in all its glory - starting with The Wrap tweeting out completely wrong numbers

Lol....hilarious...if ever there was a trigger for meltdowns, it's "official" wrong numbers

13 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Yeah it was anti-climactic.   Still Avengers was the best over performing weekend simply because it came out of nowhere. JW was very similar but Avengers did it first. Plus we had Nikki being ridiculous and it was also the first time rth gave us numbers for domestic opening weekend. 

TASM's opening week was by far the most fun. Easily the biggest clusterfuck in my lifetime on this forum.

Edited by Hatebox

1 minute ago, johnboy3434 said:

Care to back that claim up, or was this just a crop-dusting post?

3D/IMAX/PLF are not properly accounted for in BOM's average ticket price. Films like SM3 and TDK had a small amount of IMAX compared to what the big movies today have and there was zero PLF/3D back then.

Just now, johnboy3434 said:

Care to back that claim up, or was this just a crop-dusting post?

Gitesh is just dividing the estimated gross i.e. 181M by the average ticket price put out by NATO i.e. 8.9$ or so and coming up with 21M tickets. He is completely ignoring IMAX and PLF boosts and 3D bumps and matinee pricing etc. The ticket price tends to the average as a movie goes deeper into its run. Dividing OW gross by average ticket price is pretty much as wrong as you can get for a 3D and IMAX boosted Superhero movie.

• Like 5