CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

This is a fine number but I'm laughing at this revisionism of people now going "it's a Captain Americs movie, this is amazing!" When this is a clear Avengers movie and marketed that way 

I thought (and still do for the most part) that the idea of people viewing this as just a Cap sequel was absurd, but a friend I would expect to know better had that impression, so there is some degree of it. I don't understand how, and I have no possible way to know how much or how much difference it has made. It should more or less even out in legs, so I don't think it matters.

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Why would the legs be much worse than GotG, Iron Man, The Avengers and Ant-Man?

Many people consider CW a top 3 MCU movie.

Because Winter Soldier, being considered one of the best films of MCU,if not the best, did not reach a x3 multiplier . It did x2.72. Those 4 films you mentioned are easier to see and reached that x3 factor.

Indeed, I think it's more fair to see this as an Avengers movie, since it absolutely is one in everything but name, and therefore, it totally is disappointing that it didn't go at least 180M (but tbf, it still can reach the 180 mark, should Saturday stay flat SOMEHOW, or should it suffer no more than ~10% drops on both Sat and Sun, which is gonna be hard for Sun thanks to Mother's Day, but if it managed to do just that, it would be right on par w/AOU's 191).

But if you are one of those that is seeing this as a Captain America movie, it is an incredibly impressive number to say the least, almost doubling Winter Soldier's opening. And nobody has to worry about it BVS'ing its long run since WOM is sweet and the legs will surely be there. 500M probably not, unless it has Jungle Book type legs, but 450M and slightly over Ultron is doable. #1 of the Summer though... we'll see about that. Cap better hope Dory left her swimming ability in the house.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

For the kicks of it, check out this board for further reference as to how Civil War might perform on Sunday:

HISTORY OF MCU MOTHER'S DAY DROPS:

Iron Man: 30.1% (Sat rise of 43.7%) - 2nd weekend

Iron Man 2: 32% (Sat drop of 10.7%) - Mother's Day weekend opener

Thor: 27.6% (Sat drop of 8.4%) - MD opener

The Avengers: 23.7% (Sat rise of 39.4%) - 2nd weekend

Iron Man 3: 35.2% (Sat rise of 62.6%) - 2nd weekend

Age Of Ultron: 33% (Sat rise of 59.4%) - 2nd weekend

W/only IM2 and Thor to compare as Mother's Day weekend openers, here's how it can go (using 75M as Friday here):

IM2 multiplier: 187.3M

Thor multiplier: 193.4M

But again, don't forget that neither IM2 or Thor had opening days as big as CW's, which could mean more frontloadedness for Cap's side (or not). And on the other hand, none of them had WOM anywhere near as strong as CW's either. So there's a lot of factors at play, folks. We'll see how Saturday holds for the weekend's story to be told.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

All I can say, is that this movie deserves a hell of a lot more than fucking 175M OW.. In my eyes, this would be embarrassing considering how much better this is than BvsS which brought in 166M OW.. Sorry, but I don't buy this 1 bit and still maintain Sat and Sun is going to be larger than anyone imagines making my club a success..

The next time they shine your marvel logo on the screen, don't start a club.for it. Your club is dead. Bury it. Consider those #s mercy.

henry-cavill-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-j

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

For the kicks of it, check out this board for further reference as to how Civil War might perform on Sunday:

HISTORY OF MCU MOTHER'S DAY DROPS:

Iron Man: 30.1% (Sat rise of 43.7%) - 2nd weekend

Iron Man 2: 32% (Sat drop of 10.7%) - Mother's Day weekend opener

Thor: 27.6% (Sat drop of 8.4%) - MD opener

The Avengers: 23.7% (Sat rise of 39.4%) - 2nd weekend

Iron Man 3: 35.2% (Sat rise of 62.6%) - 2nd weekend

Age Of Ultron: 33% (Sat rise of 59.4%) - 2nd weekend

W/only IM2 and Thor to compare as Mother's Day weekend openers, here's how it can go (using 75M as Friday here):

IM2 multiplier: 187.3M

Thor multiplier: 193.4M

But again, don't forget that neither IM2 or Thor had opening days as big as CW's, which could mean more frontloadedness for Cap's side (or not). And on the other hand, none of them had WOM anywhere near as strong as CW's either. So there's a lot of factors at play, folks. We'll see how Saturday holds for the weekend's story to be told.

Good analysis, though IM2 and Thor didnt have 25m in midnights. That basically change all.

Edit. Same list but taken away midnights would be awesome

Edited by picores

27 minutes ago, A Guy said:

If the mcu cannot grow its audience then it's days are numbered period this is a bad sign and it's only going to get worse

rip mcu :(

I guess Star Wars is doomed than cause they are never going to have one outgross TFA. Disney should just close up LucasFilms and put the IP up for sale at a discount clearance price!

Rip Star Wars

:apocalypse:

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 8

28 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

184m

I predicted 185. Always thought 200 or over Ultron was a tall order. This is a huge success.

There were people back in January saying the movie couldn't go over 140 for Christ sake. One guy said 120 even.

• Like 1

I knew there'd be arguments on OW about whether it was a Cap or Avengers movie depending on how high it opened.

The MCU has no more room left to grow. Taking that into account, the consistency of these movies is really impressive.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I predicted 185. Always thought 200 or over Ultron was a tall order. This is a huge success.

There were people back in January saying the movie couldn't go over 140 for Christ sake. One guy said 120 even.

Well obviously they were stupid predictions to start with. That would have been awful. 

Jesus, some of you are being ridiculous. You may think it's an Avengers movie in every way but it's still a Cap America film all the way, the scale makes it closer to an Avengers episode but it's still not. These are great numbers, saying it's anything but just because it's going to come slightly under AOU, please.........

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Kalo said:

TDK is not a true Superhero movie, it's well made for the most part. but I find it incredibly pretentious for trying to avoid be associated with SH films like there is some kind of stigma surrounding them.

Most SH movies are totally mediocre and homogenous - if there is a stigma against the genre it's fully deserved. That said, this notion that TDK actively tries to not be a SH movie is ridiculous. Surprised people still buy into it.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1