WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 67): Captain Pirate: Piracy War 72.6M | Jungle Book 17.1M | Money Monster 14.8M | The Darkness 5M | Mother's Day 3.3M

10 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Seeing Cap and Iron Man beating the shit out of each other isn't fun and that confuses little kids who consider both to their heroes.

For years kids have had arguments over who would win in a fight Batman or Superman so I don't think they mind seeing their heroes go against each other. There were kids at my Batman V Superman screening cheering for their favorite. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bapi said:

Honestly CW is just not that great. Fanboys - wannabe critics are just desperate to gain as much traffic and clicks as possible.

giphy.gifYeah all 89% out of 295 critics on RT are just wanting the traffic. I mean we all know what the real reason is.disney_dollar.jpg

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Whether we want to admit it or not, and even though these numbers are still phenomenal, the reality is that these characters have lost their novelty. At this point, MCU movies and CBMs in general are not going to do Avengers-type numbers anymore. The thrill is gone, people. The movie is a hit (duh), but a million superhero films a year guarantees that the numbers and the legs will be more subdued.

Pretty much this.

It'll take something that feels fresh and new (like Spider-Man (2002), TDK and TA) to do those MEGA numbers again. Infinity War 2 might break TA's OW but I doubt it'll top its domestic total.

If it follows IM3's Saturday/Sunday holds, it will end up around $72-73m. Last weekend the Saturday increase was better than any of the other recent MCU movies in early May. Maybe it can actually jump 65% or more on Saturday. Needs around a 70% Saturday increase to have a chance at $75m for the weekend. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, picores said:

Obviously a film like CW is gonna be always frontloaded. The question is HOW frontloaded. And why the fuck is being more frontloaded than Ultron.

Because the novelty's gone. We're only now really seeing how crucial that is to superhero movies. Not that Marvel will particularly care with the amount of money it's still making.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

That's exactly what it is and it's bullshit and people who do this should have the book thrown at them and fined the absolute maximum along with a year in jail.. I'm serious.. This is bullshit.. If I saw someone doing this in my presence, I'd rat them out in a heartbeat and not have 1 fuck to give over it..

It wasn't a cam though. Someone ripped the actual film print and it came from Asia.

Like I thought it is having some effect (but not as great as like the fight impacted Ultron). But like CJohn said in the Wed thread, there was a great version of The Revenant online way before release and that didn't effect it's numbers. So it can't be hurting it that much.

There was also one for American Sniper but that had worse framerate problems then this (but it didn't stop people from downloading it).

Last year Itunes released Mad Max: Fury Road a few weeks after its released in Bluray quality (or someone hacked the site) and it didn't effect its box office that much. Poltergeist also had a 1080 DVD screener that was actually way better quality then Civil War come out about 2 weeks after release. It still did pretty well.

Probably about 2-3 weeks (it might have been a month) after Jurassic World hit, a very high quality 1080 Webrip Korean version hit torrents. It didn't effect it's legs much.

Deadpool was still holding steady for weeks when there was already a Korean 1080 WEBRIP online back in March.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Pretty much this.

It'll take something that feels fresh and new (like Spider-Man (2002), TDK and TA) to do those MEGA numbers again. Infinity War 2 might break TA's OW but I doubt it'll top its domestic total.

I also agree. Finally starting to see some signs of super hero/comic book fatigue. They are still massive but just not as big as they once were.

I would bet it will happen to X-Men and Suicide Squad too. Not sure if it will be as soon though.

The same group has hit them all. Batman V Superman came way late into the actual release but The Jungle Book didn't. And while that one wasn't quite as crisp looking as the rip of Civil War, it was downloaded a ton too. People knew it's online and are still going to theaters.

It didn't effect it's legs.

There's already a Bluray 1080 quality version of Huntsman out with Korean subtitles. 

Like some have said, I think the solid quality pirated copy online since Monday has affected it's box office take. Just by looking at the number of seeders/leechers and how many times it's been downloaded probably dropped its domestic future total from 470 to 420-430 million and who knows how much worldwide, it's definitely affected the China intake. With that said, it's still headed for 1.2 billion+.

Edited by washderice

Screen of Civil War (people are already posting gifs from this copy):
8d54e8.png

Batman V Superman (gifs have been posted from this too in the Wonder Woman thread)
8tSu7k.png

The Jungle Book:
WcpPr4k.png

Those are actual screens right from the copies. You can see how good Civil War looks. Batman V Superman came way later in it's run.

Edited by somebody85

4 minutes ago, washderice said:

Like some have said, I think the solid quality pirated copy online since Monday has affected it's box office take. Just by looking at the number of seeders/leechers and how many times it's been downloaded probably dropped its domestic future total from 470 to 420-430 million and who knows how much worldwide, it's definitely affected the China intake. With that said, it's still headed for 1.2 billion+.

It hit late Sunday night. But yeah like I thought...it's probably effecting people going back to rewatch it in theaters. I think people are still going for the first time.

Internationally..I can't speak but yeah I'm sure it's had some effect. 

It's really rare to see it happen this early outside of Screener season.

7 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

When movies like this begin grossing under 100M OW, then YES, Comic book fatigue will be evident, but when a movie makes 180M OW, Then sorry, I'm not seeing this fatigue you speak of.. I mean, this movie has damn near outgrossed BvsS Domestic in less time than it took for that movie to achieve that number.. Not bad for comicbook fatigue..

It's not like fatigue in meaning bad box office. It just means no more ground breaking openings. 

The one thing about TFA is there was no good version online for a long time. That weekend there was a bad cam but that was it. Nothing like this.

The closest it came was Jan 5th and it looks no where near as good quality like Civil War. You can see the giant difference:

la3iLp.png

Star Wars late run took a hit when the Bluray leaked early though.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

Just now, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Well, I've said what I had to say and that's it.. It's just downright disheartening when people do shit like this.. I just can't wrap my head around WHY though??? Is it people that are butt hurt or pissed off at the industry or what?? Wanting to be THAT GUY and gain attention???

People don't want to spend the crazy prices to go to the movies and deal with bad crowds man (like people texting or talking).

Like I said I don't think it's effecting people from seeing it a first time. It's probably effecting people who were planning on rewatching it. Because unlike TFA, you can watch that airport scene right from home in pretty clear quality. 

Nowadays all it takes is an HDMI cable to your TV and you can see how it would be tempting if the quality is near where it would be in theaters.

But using Revanant as an example. Posted Dec 20th as a screener. It looked great. Didn't effect it's opening at all:
VhRpGqw.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Winter Soldier: 260 million

Civil War: 420-450 finish

Yep fatigue has clearly set in. 

Sorry I didn't mean it that way. I meant that there probably won't be any more over 200m openers (maybe Infinity War Part 2).

It will still have strong holding power. WOM is great, Flixster hasn't dropped at all.

35 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

A comic book movie making 180M OW says otherwise.. There is no fatigue.. It's called PIRACY..

Oh for fuck sakes it's not piracy. This is the 13th film in the franchise that follows closely to the story lines throughout. There's only so many people that will be watching it. It's already exceeded expectations and will likely pass ultron. What more could you ask for? 

• Like 12

I don't know if this matters, i saw TFA 5 times at the theaters even i am not a huge star wars fan, but the movie was just such a lot of fun and i really liked rey and Finn. Also, i saw all star wars films in the theater at some time, Prequels 1-3 when they first came out, and the OT reedition in theaters when this first came out. So for me, watching TFA was like seeing The Avengers in the sense that this was like a rare reunion after all this time for all this characters, like the avengers 1 was a rare event reunion for all its characters). Han Solo  and Chewie and Leia and r2d2 with c3po plus also this 3 new characters (Rey, Finn and BB8) was like an Avengers 1 event for me but with Star Wars.

For BvS is basically was what  wanted to see my whole life, this two together for the first time, but the movie was just bad, and also it was not fun. I saw this movie one and a half time in theaters, the half time is because i just was so bored with this movie, and the Lex Luthor character was so bad and such a bad copy of The Joker, it was just so a bad movie and a deception for me.

With Civil War we must really see here the great job that Whedon did with The Avengers. It was so much fun and such a great directed movie from the start until the end with the shawarma scene. Civil War suffered from not having Whedon IMO, had some funny scenes, it was great seeing spider man, black panther was great, and ant man also was great in that airport scene but the whole movie for me was just not as good as Ultron or The Avengers.

So, in conclusion i say that yes, there is a fatigue but not for super heroes just for the avengers super heroes, just a small fatigue, they have to make this super heroes reunions something special, something like a a event every few years, and not make every marvel superhero movie a super heroes mini reunion movie. If you are going to make a captain america movie just make a Captain America Movie, if you are going to make a Spider Man movie just make a spiderman Movie (don't put iron man in there), and every few year put all this super heroes together to make a big rare event avengers movie.

ALso, not having the words "Avengers" in the movie hurt the box office a little bit.

And finally the first half of the civil war movie was just boring.

I truly don't understand the ratings that Civil War got when for me Ultron was a more fun and better movie, and The Avengers 1 was so much better and miles ahead better than Civil War. 

I am saying all of this as a mega super fan of this whole cinematic marvel movies, i watch them all and i love them all. But for me nothing can top The Avengers 1 ( a lot of solo superhero movies and then the culmination movie directed so great by Joss Whedon).

Edited by edmkh
  • Like 1