WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 67): Captain Pirate: Piracy War 72.6M | Jungle Book 17.1M | Money Monster 14.8M | The Darkness 5M | Mother's Day 3.3M

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I think next weekend will look like this:

Angry Birds: $40M

Neighbors 2: $30M

The Nice Guys: $13M

You're going to low on Nice Guys, no way it opens under 15M. 

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

You're going to low on Nice Guys, no way it opens under 15M. 

As much as I want to see it, I just don't feel it. A 70s crime comedy already sounds limited in appeal (think a less weird Inherent Vice), and younger audiences seeking laughs will find Neighbors 2 to be more appetizing option.

16 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Really? Isn't it a good sign of things to come, since it outperformed The Lego Movie on opening?

Well, at least I'm more than convinced it'll beat Neighbors 2 and Nice Guys now.

It opened on 74 markets, and LEGO Movie wasn't a big performer OS. I am expecting 300M WW right now, which is probably considerably lower than the number Sony is hoping for (which I assume is over 400M WW). 

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It opened on 74 markets, and LEGO Movie wasn't a big performer OS. I am expecting 300M WW right now, which is probably considerably lower than the number Sony is hoping for (which I assume is over 400M WW). 

I think you are way off on this, Sony will be happy with whatever it can get at this point. It's a dying franchise that peaked 4-5 years ago.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

As much as I want to see it, I just don't feel it. A 70s crime comedy already sounds limited in appeal (think a less weird Inherent Vice), and younger audiences seeking laughs will find Neighbors 2 to be more appetizing option.

If they want an appetizing option, they should go to the McDonalds next door to the cinema.

Anyways, if Money Monster can break out, then certainly Nice Guys can as well.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I don't understand the rather large predictions for The Nice Guys. Especially when WB is being conservative and estimating a sub-3,000 theater launch.

Me neither, the ad campaign has been pretty suspect.

Edited by GiantCALBears

1 minute ago, Sam said:

Damn, harsh drop. 

Should I even read the thread? 

I thought the piracy stuff was rather amusing.

Drink up me hearties, yo ho!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

If they want an appetizing option, they should go to the McDonalds next door to the cinema.

Anyways, if Money Monster can break out, then certainly Nice Guys can as well.

Money Monster was a much easier sell than this is. Like come on. Clooney + Roberts in a thriller directed by Jodie Foster will always be a much easier sell than Crowe + Gosling in a 70s comedy directed by Shane Black.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't understand the rather large predictions for The Nice Guys. Especially when WB is being conservative and estimating a sub-3,000 theater launch.

Yep. Anything over 15 million would be a huge surprise to me. 

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I think you are way off on this, Sony will be happy with whatever it can get at this point. It's a dying franchise that peaked 4-5 years ago.

Sony wants a new franchise, believe me. But I agree, the games peaked a long time ago.

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

I thought the piracy stuff was rather amusing.

Drink up me hearties, yo ho!

Lol, where is it even coming from? 

I I guess I missed out on the fun ^_^

Just now, Sam said:

Lol, where is it even coming from? 

I I guess I missed out on the fun ^_^

The short story is that some people blamed the high quality copy that got leaked for the cause in drop.

The swashbucklers won, while liberty and justice loses.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

I bet it's one of those they regretted green lighting the moment it got into production.

It has a 80M budget, regardless of whether it stalls at 300M WW or outperforms and does 600M WW, it is still a tidy profit for everyone involved. If it spawns a franchise, really good for them else everyone walks away with good money made.