WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 67): Captain Pirate: Piracy War 72.6M | Jungle Book 17.1M | Money Monster 14.8M | The Darkness 5M | Mother's Day 3.3M

28 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Civil War is definitely more a movie oriented toward adults than other Marvel installments. 

I don't see how.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

What do you mean, "Not Again"?? WTF is that all about??? If you've ever seen the movie The MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, you'd know that the WINTER SOLDIER storyline borrows from that movie when it came to brainwashing by the Government.. Think before you post..

Yea but come on, the tone in that film is nothing like the tone in this one.

5 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I don't see how.

Spoiler

Let's see.

- Beloved heroes that audience loves fight each other almost to the death.

- Iron Man's parents have been murdered by the guy our hero is trying so hard to save. 

- Movie ends on a hopeful yet grim tone, where half of our heroes are basically outlawed living in hiding, and the other an incomplete team with a paralyzed man, a lonely AI, and a leader who feels guilty.

No other marvel movie ends on such a note.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Hide contents

Let's see.

- Beloved heroes that audience loves fight each other almost to the death.

- Iron Man's parents have been murdered by the guy our hero is trying so hard to save. 

- Movie ends on a hopeful yet grim tone, where half of our heroes are basically outlawed living in hiding, and the other an incomplete team with a paralyzed man, a lonely AI, and a leader who feels guilty.

No other marvel movie ends on such a note.

No joke. Anyone who doesn't see the difference in story telling between this and, say, Ultron either isn't paying attention or is too innately against the genre to care even if you explain it.

• Like 6

If I'm interested in seeing a political thriller, I'll watch a political thriller, not some superhero take that's influenced by political thrillers -- in part because at the end of the day, the superhero movie has its own set of tropes and expectations to fulfill, most of which run counter to other expectations. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Nosferatu Zodd said:

People seem to not understand the difference between influence and a 1:1 adaption.

You would have to be willfully dense to not see the political thriller influence and tone in TWS. Obviously less in the 3rd act.

Just because

Spoiler

you have some guy who is brainwashed and triggered by words, doesn't mean the tone is the same as Manchurian Candidate.  Naked Gun had Reggie Jackson go through the same thing when he tried to kill the queen and I don't think that film has the same tone as Manchurian either.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nosferatu Zodd said:

People seem to not understand the difference between influence and a 1:1 adaption.

You would have to be willfully dense to not see the political thriller influence and tone in TWS. Obviously less in the 3rd act.

And what is it about new posters coming in here and being ornery and calling people dense or morons?  Not a great way to endear yourself to the site.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, a2knet said:

Is the number of people buying premium tickets steadily increasing?

It is increasing by default because the theater chains keep adding more PLF screens every year. Theater-brand PLF a year ago for Ultron was 400 and now it's 480 for CA3. IMAX was 364 for Ultron and now it's 378 for CA3.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4182&p=.htm

Civil War is opening in 4,226 theaters, a fraction below the 4,276 theaters Age of Ultron debuted in and 123 fewer than the first Avengers opened in back in 2012. Of those theaters, Civil War will play at 378 IMAX locations (14 more than Ultron), 480 PLF locations (80 more than Ultron) and more than 3,300 locations will show the film in 3D, up from 2,761 for Ultron, which saw 44% of its overall weekend come from 3D showings. Also last year, Jurassic World opened in 4,274 theaters of which 363 were IMAX locations, approximately 400 were PLF locations and the film saw 48% of its overall weekend haul come from the 3,303 theaters that debuted the film in 3D.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

If I'm interested in seeing a political thriller, I'll watch a political thriller, not some superhero take that's influenced by political thrillers -- in part because at the end of the day, the superhero movie has its own set of tropes and expectations to fulfill, most of which run counter to other expectations. 

Sure, but a movie doesn't have to be either/or. If you *only* feel like watching a political thriller, then great, you can obviously do that. But just because a movie straddles genre lines in some fashion doesn't necessarily make it a worse movie overall. Just a less palatable option for the fairly specific movie-itch you're looking to scratch at that moment.

Edit - Also, I think Baumer might be just a wee bit more combative than entirely required atm. Someone said there was influence and Baumer said the tones were different, and that somehow turned into a fight with Nosferatu. Both statements can certainly be true. Fist Full of Dollars was massively influenced by Yojimbo, but I'd argue the tones are different.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Sure, but a movie doesn't have to be either/or. If you *only* feel like watching a political thriller, then great, you can obviously do that. But just because a movie straddles genre lines in some fashion doesn't necessarily make it a worse movie overall. Just a less palatable option for the fairly specific movie-itch you're looking to scratch at that moment.

Edit - Also, I think Baumer might be just a wee bit more combative than entirely required atm. Someone said there was influence and Baumer said the tones were different. Both statements can certainly be true. Fist Full of Dollars was massively influenced by Yojimno, but I'd argue the tones are different.

It's always the reaction from me that gets called out rather than the post that inspired by wee bit combativeness.....telling us that we are dense if we don't see something that everyone else does, is what causes me to be a wee bit combative.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Sure. And obviously many movies are influenced by others, whether in their respective genre or not. It's neither a positive or a negative... unless you care passionately about both genres, I suppose.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Baumer said:

It's always the reaction from me that gets called out rather than the post that inspired by wee bit combativeness.....telling us that we are dense if we don't see something that everyone else does, is what causes me to be a wee bit combative.

Sure, but he wasn't wrong. You told BKB that CA:WS and Manchurian Candidate might have had some similar plotlines, but were tonally totally different. And I agree with you.

But then Nosferatu then says that just because a movie isn't a slavishly faithful reproduction doesn't mean it wasn't influenced by another movie, and then he says you'd have to be dense to not see the political thriller themes in Winter Soldier. Are you saying that he's wrong? I don't think you're dense, so would you say there were zero political thriller influences or tones in CA:WS?

Because if you think there were such influences, then he's right and you agree that he's right, so it'd be weird that you're attacking him for saying something you might not actually disagree with.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It is increasing by default because the theater chains keep adding more PLF screens every year. Theater-brand PLF a year ago for Ultron was 400 and now it's 480 for CA3. IMAX was 364 for Ultron and now it's 378 for CA3.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4182&p=.htm

Did we ever get the 3D and PLF share for Civil War? Don't recall seeing the breakdown in any article.

In theaters around me, all IMAX screens are going to Alice and all PLF screens are going to Apocalypse on MD weekend currently. I don't think IM3 or Ultron lost their PLF screens completely on MD weekend since Tomorrowland was a major IMAX play only, and Fast 6 was IMAX and some PLF but Hangover and Epic didn't get any PLF screens.

are we gonna have a normal avg cbm this year?

ss and dr. strange look different.

deadpool was unique.

and the other 2 are a 70s political thriller and an art film.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Sure. And obviously many movies are influenced by others, whether in their respective genre or not. It's neither a positive or a negative... unless you care passionately about both genres, I suppose.

Right. It just makes your earlier comment seem oddly specific.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2