The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

Number 24

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

59 Points (22 Votes, Avg Score 42.95)

watch-Mad-Max-Fury-Road-2015-online.jpg

"Oh, what a day... what a lovely day!"

Top 10 Placments: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 97%

Box Office: 153.64m (155.33m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 6 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: An apocalyptic story set in the furthest reaches of our planet, in a stark desert landscape where humanity is broken, and almost everyone is crazed fighting for the necessities of life. Within this world exist two rebels on the run who just might be able to restore order. There's Max, a man of action and a man of few words, who seeks peace of mind following the loss of his wife and child in the aftermath of the chaos. And Furiosa, a woman of action and a woman who believes her path to survival may be achieved if she can make it across the desert back to her childhood homeland.

Critic Opinion: "If Nux is the heart of the movie, then Furiosa is its soul, a hard-charging but sympathetic warrior committed to finding a better world. One of the big surprises of Fury Road, however, is that there is no better world to be found. The Green Place turns out to be nothing more than a myth, so Max convinces the group to journey back to the Citadel, overthrow Immortan Joe, and establish a more humane system of government. By the time the characters get back to this marvel of production design, you might be glad they've returned, since you have another chance to take in all the incredible-looking stuff. (I'm most partial to the band of drummers who play for Joe on rotating platforms hundreds of feet off the ground.) The intricate spectacle of the Citadel exists not for its own sake but for its deep thematic significance. The more invested you feel in Miller's fantasy world—or, better yet, our own real one—the more you want to see it saved from despots and violence." - Ben Sachs

User Opinion: "Worthy of being in the discussion of "greatest action film ever"." - Telemachos

Personal Comment: Our third movie from 2015 comes onto the list, and at quite a high level too.  Mad Max: Fury Road is 15th movie from the 2010s to make the list, how many more of these recent movies could possibly squeak in this high?  Definitely not a beloved Nolan movie from 2014, there's no way that will make it in, especially in the top 10.  Anyways, I am rambling about madness and nonsense which in a way is exactly what this movie is, and what makes it so great.  This movie may seem as if it's just an excuse for George Miller to put his trip dreams on screen, but in many ways this movie delivers a simple, yet powerful message and theme to go along with the brilliant and perfection of filmmaking over the madness that ensues.

oh yeah, was in my top 10. who else's had it a in their top 10? was it @Telemachos?

Number 21

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

71 Points (18 Votes, Avg Score 37.33)

Lawrence_of_arabia_ver3_xxlg.jpg

"No Arab loves the desert. We love water and green trees. There is nothing in the desert and no man needs nothing."

Number 1 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 5 Placements: 4 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 6 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (47, +26), 2013 (31, +10), 2012 (66, +45)

Box Office: 37.5m (459.59m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 7 Oscars, including Best Picture

IMDb  Synopsis: An inordinately complex man who has been labeled everything from hero, to charlatan, to sadist, Thomas Edward Lawrence blazed his way to glory in the Arabian desert, then sought anonymity as a common soldier under an assumed name. The story opens with the death of Lawrence in a motorcycle accident in Dorset at the age of 46, then flashbacks to recount his adventures: as a young intelligence officer in Cairo in 1916, he is given leave to investigate the progress of the Arab revolt against the Turks in World War I. In the desert, he organizes a guerrilla army and--for two years--leads the Arabs in harassing the Turks with desert raids, train-wrecking and camel attacks. Eventually, he leads his army northward and helps a British General destroy the power of the Ottoman Empire.

Critic Opinion: "To see it in a movie theater is to appreciate the subtlety of F.A. (Freddie) Young's desert cinematography--achieved despite blinding heat, and the blowing sand, which worked its way into every camera. “Lawrence of Arabia” was one of the last films to actually be photographed in 70mm (as opposed to being blown up to 70 from a 35mm negative). There was a hunger within filmmakers like Lean (and Kubrick, Coppola, Tarkovsky, Kurosawa and Stone) to break through the boundaries, to dare a big idea and have the effrontery to impose it on timid studio executives. The word “epic” in recent years has become synonymous with “big budget B picture.” What you realize watching “Lawrence of Arabia” is that the word “epic” refers not to the cost or the elaborate production, but to the size of the ideas and vision. Werner Herzog's “Aguirre, the Wrath of God” didn't cost as much as the catering in “Pearl Harbor,” but it is an epic, and “Pearl Harbor” is not.

As for “Lawrence,” after its glorious re-release in 70mm in 1989, it has returned again to video, where it crouches inside its box like a tall man in a low room. You can view it on video and get an idea of its story and a hint of its majesty, but to get thefeelingof Lean's masterpiece you need to somehow, somewhere, see it in 70mm on a big screen. This experience is on the short list of things that must be done during the lifetime of every lover of film." - Roger Ebert

User Opinion: "A much as I love Peck in To Kill A Mockingbird, O'Toole deserved that Oscar. He'd probably deserve it in any year against any competition.  He's just that brilliant and magnificent in the role.

A++++++

It's the epic of epics.  Directing, cinematography, performances, story, editing, dialogue, score -  cerebral, visceral, expansive in scope and emotionally intimate...  it's transcendent film making." - TalismanRing

Personal Comment: Finally, Tele's avatar makes its way onto the countdown.  Yes, it took him a while, but dear Tele's lived much longer than any mortal man who ever lived so cut him some slack for being slow to take up.  Lawrence of Arabia is the 5th movie from the 1960s and it's also the highest this movie has ever been ranked on our countdown before.  With, "Lawrence" Lean created one of the most epic masterpieces ever put to screen, and one with no flaw to be found.  Lawrence of Arabia also always manages to be that movie I just barely leave out of my top 10 whenever I make a top xx list, but I will say it's deserving of being there and deserving of anyone to consider it one of (if not the) greatest piece of filmmaking of all-time.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 16

Just now, Daxtreme said:

I SWEAR I WILL WATCH LAWRENCE OF ARABIA SOON, DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE "HAVEN'T SEEN THAT YET? GIT YO ASS OUTTA HERE! :whip:"

I will, I will...

Soon  :sadben:

I finally got around to watching it last year... and I didn't like it very well... :ph34r:

Again, apologies for going slower this week, I thought today wouldn't be as long and I ended up only getting home around 30 minutes earlier than I have the rest of the week.  I have two more 13-14 hour days to go this week.  But, instead of getting 7-8 films in today I think it'd be better for me to try to get an extra hour or so of sleep so I can make it through these next two days.

My goal is for the number 1 film to be announced by Saturday.  I'll see if I can get 20-16 tomorrow, 15-11 Friday, and all of the top 10 Saturday.  That'll be what I am hoping for anyways.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

:kitschjob:

I enjoyed the first hour or so. but it is so long and really confusing. I probably need to watch it again, but I'm not looking forward to that so I don't know when that will be. 

34 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Number 21

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

71 Points (18 Votes, Avg Score 37.33)

Lawrence_of_arabia_ver3_xxlg.jpg

"No Arab loves the desert. We love water and green trees. There is nothing in the desert and no man needs nothing."

Number 1 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 5 Placements: 4 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 6 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (47, +26), 2013 (31, +10), 2012 (66, +45)

Box Office: 37.5m (459.59m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 7 Oscars, including Best Picture

IMDb  Synopsis: An inordinately complex man who has been labeled everything from hero, to charlatan, to sadist, Thomas Edward Lawrence blazed his way to glory in the Arabian desert, then sought anonymity as a common soldier under an assumed name. The story opens with the death of Lawrence in a motorcycle accident in Dorset at the age of 46, then flashbacks to recount his adventures: as a young intelligence officer in Cairo in 1916, he is given leave to investigate the progress of the Arab revolt against the Turks in World War I. In the desert, he organizes a guerrilla army and--for two years--leads the Arabs in harassing the Turks with desert raids, train-wrecking and camel attacks. Eventually, he leads his army northward and helps a British General destroy the power of the Ottoman Empire.

Critic Opinion: "To see it in a movie theater is to appreciate the subtlety of F.A. (Freddie) Young's desert cinematography--achieved despite blinding heat, and the blowing sand, which worked its way into every camera. “Lawrence of Arabia” was one of the last films to actually be photographed in 70mm (as opposed to being blown up to 70 from a 35mm negative). There was a hunger within filmmakers like Lean (and Kubrick, Coppola, Tarkovsky, Kurosawa and Stone) to break through the boundaries, to dare a big idea and have the effrontery to impose it on timid studio executives. The word “epic” in recent years has become synonymous with “big budget B picture.” What you realize watching “Lawrence of Arabia” is that the word “epic” refers not to the cost or the elaborate production, but to the size of the ideas and vision. Werner Herzog's “Aguirre, the Wrath of God” didn't cost as much as the catering in “Pearl Harbor,” but it is an epic, and “Pearl Harbor” is not.

As for “Lawrence,” after its glorious re-release in 70mm in 1989, it has returned again to video, where it crouches inside its box like a tall man in a low room. You can view it on video and get an idea of its story and a hint of its majesty, but to get thefeelingof Lean's masterpiece you need to somehow, somewhere, see it in 70mm on a big screen. This experience is on the short list of things that must be done during the lifetime of every lover of film." - Roger Ebert

User Opinion: "A much as I love Peck in To Kill A Mockingbird, O'Toole deserved that Oscar. He'd probably deserve it in any year against any competition.  He's just that brilliant and magnificent in the role.

A++++++

It's the epic of epics.  Directing, cinematography, performances, story, editing, dialogue, score -  cerebral, visceral, expansive in scope and emotionally intimate...  it's transcendent film making." - TalismanRing

Personal Comment: Finally, Tele's avatar makes its way onto the countdown.  Yes, it took him a while, but dear Tele's lived much longer than any mortal man who ever lived so cut him some slack for being slow to take up.  Lawrence of Arabia is the 5th movie from the 1960s and it's also the highest this movie has ever been ranked on our countdown before.  With, "Lawrence" Lean created one of the most epic masterpieces ever put to screen, and one with no flaw to be found.  Lawrence of Arabia also always manages to be that movie I just barely leave out of my top 10 whenever I make a top xx list, but I will say it's deserving of being there and deserving of anyone to consider it one of (if not the) greatest piece of filmmaking of all-time.

Never seen this. One day I'll get to it.

• Like 2

I have a feeling that percentage wise I will want to bitch about the top 20 a lot.... but what can I say at least LoA made the top 25..... its worthy of a spot unlike a few others in the 25-21 range :ph34r:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Terminator >>>>> Predator

T1 is obviously the better movie. Can't decide which one's my favorite tho. They're both my babies.

5 hours ago, Baumer said:

It's not nearly as good of an adaptation of Twilight was lol

I count three strikes in this post:

1. reading Twilight

2. watching Twilight

3. calling Twilight better than a McTiernan

• Like 4

Saw T2 before seeing the first one many years ago. Couldn't get me interested at the start and ended up not paying attention to most of it. Maybe I should give it another chance sometime.

Fury Road totally deserves its spot in my opinion. Maybe not in an ideal top 25 but absolutely in this one. Freaking amazing film.

Inception is really good. I had it somewhere in my list. I don't really think its worth 23rd place though. 

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is just phenomenal! Love it. Watched it quite recently and it completely blew me. It is the first and only western I have watched yet though so maybe that helped it too. And I absolutely loved the soundtrack! Keep humming it all the time these days :D 

• Like 2

Holy shit, Fury Road owning motherfuckers. What a beautiful sight. 

OK, that and Lawrence of Arabia and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly both placing higher than they ever have bought this list a lot of goodwill from me.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Well at least Josh looks like it's going to make the top 20.

The Josh Duhamel movie James was talking about? I don't think anyone other than James voted for it. Hell, I hadn't even heard of it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Panda said:

Again, apologies for going slower this week, I thought today wouldn't be as long and I ended up only getting home around 30 minutes earlier than I have the rest of the week.  I have two more 13-14 hour days to go this week.  But, instead of getting 7-8 films in today I think it'd be better for me to try to get an extra hour or so of sleep so I can make it through these next two days.

My goal is for the number 1 film to be announced by Saturday.  I'll see if I can get 20-16 tomorrow, 15-11 Friday, and all of the top 10 Saturday.  That'll be what I am hoping for anyways.

No need to apologize, @The Panda. You're doing a wonderful job and I know it takes a lot of time and effort to do these write-ups. This has been really fun. Don't stress about forcing yourself to finish. 

• Like 10