The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

I have no issues with the Dark Knight being in the top 10 movies of all time. It's not firstly in my top ten but it's definitely in my top 20.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, JohnnY said:

and la vita è bella also missed the list, hm

That movie legitimately does not deserve to be on the list. It makes no sense to me how that schmaltzy as fuck movie that trivialized the Holocaust got a pass from so many people around the world.

And I say it trivialized the Holocaust because if you watched it, you might come to the conclusion that the Nazi death camps were no worse than any other POW camp.

Edited by cannastop

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

That movie legitimately does not deserve to be on the list. It makes no sense to me how that schmaltzy as fuck movie that trivialized the Holocaust got a pass from so many people around the world.

And I say it trivialized the Holocaust because if you watched it, you might come to the conclusion that the Nazi death camps were no worse than any other POW camp.

Ehhhh... no. I've seen the movie and the difference between the Holocaust as presented and a normal POW camp is fairly obvious.

As for whether it 'trivialised the Holocaust', I know there's a lot of debate around the subject, but personally I don't think so. While the movie is partially a comedy, it's important to note that the Holocaust itself is never the butt of the joke or the subject of that comedy. The Holocaust itself is still treated as something tragic and horrible and just because there are comic moments going on, that doesn't really change. 

• Like 1

Just now, rukaio101 said:

Ehhhh... no. I've seen the movie and the difference between the Holocaust as presented and a normal POW camp is fairly obvious.

As for whether it 'trivialised the Holocaust', I know there's a lot of debate around the subject, but personally I don't think so. While the movie is partially a comedy, it's important to note that the Holocaust itself is never the butt of the joke or the subject of that comedy. The Holocaust itself is still treated as something tragic and horrible and just because there are comic moments going on, that doesn't really change. 

Bullshit.

There is no way the events of the movie could happen if the Holocaust was depicted accurately.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Bullshit.

There is no way the events of the movie could happen if the Holocaust was depicted accurately.

And your reasoning for that is...?

la vita è bella is horrible, thank god it didn't make the list.

The Pianist, on the other hand, is fucking amazing and you have all sinned for not including it in your lists

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:
  Hide contents

Are you seriously suggesting the child would have survived?

Spoiler

Really? That's your complaint? The entire second half of the movie is about showing the lengths the father goes to keep his son alive and the overwhelming odds he faces in doing so. Complaining that the child surviving is unrealistic in the face of all that misses the point and is just kinda silly. It's very unlikely a child would survive in all that, yes, but not impossible. The Holocaust wasn't some sort of magic beacon that caused all jewish children within a certain radius to drop dead. Movies, even ones based on real life, have unlikely coincidences and happenstances all the time. And the movie shows how the father keeps his son alive and everything he sacrifices to do so. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:
  Hide contents

Really? That's your complaint? The entire second half of the movie is about showing the lengths the father goes to keep his son alive and the overwhelming odds he faces in doing so. Complaining that the child surviving is unrealistic in the face of all that misses the point and is just kinda silly. It's very unlikely a child would survive in all that, yes, but not impossible. The Holocaust wasn't some sort of magic beacon that caused all jewish children within a certain radius to drop dead. Movies, even ones based on real life, have unlikely coincidences and happenstances all the time. And the movie shows how the father keeps his son alive and everything he sacrifices to do so. 

Spoiler

Yes, that is my complaint. A child captured by the Nazis early on was simply killed. End of story. To make a story that shows otherwise is irresponsible. The main way you survived was by working in the camps or by avoiding capture.

Edited by cannastop

i think life is beautiful frequently undermines nazism but never the holocaust. the idea that it's not respectful doesn't gel with me. i'm actually not a fan of it mostly because of the lame first half and Benigni is usually a pretty unbearable screen presence for me. Aside from night on earth where he's fun and playing a pretty deliberate obnoxious asshole.